Why Ranked Ballots Are Better

John Tory supports ranked ballots in the next civic election. This is great news.

The "first past the post" system we currently have forces people like me to vote strategically instead of voting for the person they'd like to lead. For example, those who wanted Olivia Chow to win, but were afraid a vote for Chow would help Doug Ford win, would be able to rank their candidates so a vote for Chow isn't a vote for Ford.

This video explains how it works.

Ranked ballots all but sink Ford Nation, so there's that added benefit as well.

James Edgar

I watched the Video and do think this has some potential for a better system.

Something seemed a little off with the way they calculated eventual winners though.

I have a feeling the results they expect would not actually happen.

BUT it's a feeling at this point not an effective analysis so I'll think about it.

So far I'd go for this.

March 25, 2015 @ 12:11 PM

@James Edgar

From Wikipedia:

Ballots are initially distributed based on each elector's first preference. If a candidate secures more than half of votes cast, that candidate wins. Otherwise, the candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated. Ballots assigned to the eliminated candidate are recounted and assigned to those of the remaining candidates who rank next in order of preference on each ballot. This process continues until one candidate wins by obtaining more than half the votes.

IMHO, this is a much fairer system.

March 25, 2015 @ 12:18 PM

G. Gary Murdoch

While I very much like this idea I wonder if our already disengaged electorate would be a. dispirited by having to vote more than once or b. enlivened and enthused watching the elimination process. Sort of like 'the playoffs' but with paper and politics.

March 25, 2015 @ 1:12 PM

Lynne

Well done, Mr. Tory. This had better come true for the next municipal election.

As a former district returns officer at the federal and provincial levels, I can definitely see the headaches for the vote counters (who are pretty wasted by the time the polls close). The scrutineers will go out of their minds with petty challenges. But it's so much fairer in the long run. (Final results may not come in on the night of the election. In fact, that's pretty much a given, unless we move to a computerized system.)

Okay, Mr. Harper, let's see what would happen to your party under this system. (I'm dreaming again..)

March 26, 2015 @ 8:23 AM

James Edgar

Yes I think it Probably is a fairer system. which means that the incumbents at both the Provincial and federal levels would probably not go for it.

And it might be just too complicated without computerized voting as already mentioned .

At a municipal level I'm in.

March 26, 2015 @ 2:28 PM

Mike from Lowville

We, as Canadians have needed election reform since the CCF became an official party! If ALL voters votes counted, MORE voters would vote. As Mike said "The "first past the post" system we currently have forces people like me to vote strategically instead of voting for the person they'd like to lead. " and I agree ONE THOUSAND PERCENT! WE as Canadians really need to bring our elections into the 21st century where it belongs! From municipal thru federal and all points inbetween!

March 26, 2015 @ 6:33 PM