For the First Time, I Can't Watch the Leafs

If I'm available to watch a Leafs game, I always tune in. This is even true for preseason games, and has been the case for as long as I can remember. I have always thoroughly enjoyed watching my hockey team, regardless of quality. This has always been the case, until now.

I tuned in the other day and watched Tyler Bozak score an early goal. I instinctively cheered, and then realized it was better if we didn't win. That's no way to watch a game.

Since I want my team to lose, and don't wish to root for the opposition, it's best I stop watching for a while. I'm going to take a break until I can cheer for Leafs wins again.

We've been pretty bad for a while now, so how is this the first time I've chosen to stop watching? As I ponder this question, a few reasons bounce around my head.

1. We typically don't nosedive this hard, this early. In the past, there always seemed to be a chance we'd go on a run and finish 8th in the conference. There was always a sliver of hope.
  2. We actually own our own first round pick. There's finally a good incentive to tank. This is completely different from the year Boston owned our fist round pick and chose Tyler Seguin second overall.
  3. I'm getting old and am awfully busy. If it ain't fun viewin', I've got better things to do.

I'll still be reading about my team and hoping for more trades, but for the very first time in my life, the Leafs game won't be appointment viewing for me. It's no fun rooting for losses.

Argie

Agree 100%. I realized a few games ago that there wasn't any point watching them - hoping they would lose. Not only is it not fun, its weird too.

February 19, 2015 @ 2:44 PM

Guy

I can't help but watch, but at least now I'm not being disappointed as I really want them to get into the bottom three. About time they get a chance at a franchise player. As long as there are no Marty Gerber sightings or Boyd Deveraux hat tricks they should be okay.

February 19, 2015 @ 3:14 PM

Ryan G / hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

I'll watch the first period to gauge their level of terribleness and decide if it's worth watching. What's sad is that the scale is always called The Level of Terribleness. Not Level of Awesomeness.

February 19, 2015 @ 3:22 PM

Speysidephil

I'll watch the first period just to see how bad they are going to be, after that the TV is turned off.
I've been doing this the last couple of weeks.
Sad.

February 19, 2015 @ 3:54 PM

Brian

This is exactly why I hate the Draft system as it's setup....you should never want your team to lose and there should never be the notion that a team is intentionally tanking to get the top draft picks. Maybe one way is to move up the trade deadline....not as much fun for fans but if the deadline happens earlier, not many teams will be in total fire sale mode if there's time to salvage the year

February 19, 2015 @ 5:00 PM

Neil Clark Warren

In the year 2015 the Toronto Maple Leafs have won 3 games.
They beat Arizona,Edmonton and Humberview Huskies Bantam Selects.
Arizona and Edmonton were epic wins.The win over Humberview does not pass the smell test.

Humberview were missing their first and second string goalies along with their top center due to an "internal ongoing investigation"

(Many speculate it had something to do with a school musical play) but never confirmed.

According to sources with 1:30 left in the 3rd period and the score tied 1-1 two Humberview defenceman were given double minor penalties for having too much tape on their socks.

Down 2 boys for the last minute and a half the Leafs managed to get 2 shots on goal.
One of those shots clearly beat the 11 year old call-up goalie.

The Maple Leafs all jumped over the boards to celebrate on the ice yet,no penalty was given.

No Leafs No

February 19, 2015 @ 6:05 PM

Anonymous

Why cheer for them to lose? They can't realistically get a great chance for either of the top 2 picks even if they go full tank. They will be shitty and get a reasonably good pick in a good deep draft year. Stick with your team so you can honestly say you were with them during the worst times. Enjoy watching some of the up and coming players like Kozun, Reilly and Leipsic. Go Leafs Go!

February 19, 2015 @ 7:28 PM

Handsome Rob

Same boat. Was required viewing up until a couple weeks ago. This will be the first time since I don't even know when that I didn't watch games going into the final months of the season. Just waiting for the trade deadline so I can completely stop paying attention.

I remember not long ago that the talking heads were mentioning this was the fastest Leafs team to reach 40 points. They've got 12 since.....

February 19, 2015 @ 9:01 PM

dale

I love hockey & being born & growing up in Toronto I was able to see the Leafs win the cup in 1967 & even went to the parade.

I would follow my team faithfully, but until a month ago I could watch only a period or so & the last 2 weeks I've maybe have seen 5 minutes of 1 or 2 Leaf games.

However, being a hockey fan I have watched many other games (none Leafs) to the fullest & appreciated the games for the sport.

Peter Holland a young Leaf player comes out yesterday & makes a statement that should have been said by the "leaders" on the team. He said "I'm not going to step on anyone's toes but enough is enough".

Enough is Enough

February 19, 2015 @ 9:55 PM

Mike from Lowville

T.O. Mike...you sound like a Buffalo Sabres fan!

February 20, 2015 @ 5:28 AM

Mike from Lowville

...........and how could I forget! GO! HABS! GO!

February 20, 2015 @ 5:30 AM

Gary

I hear you, Mike. I was getting annoyed when the Leafs score. I stopped watching.

February 20, 2015 @ 6:11 AM

Tim

Mikey,

I understand. Its tough, but they will rebound. Gonna take a while ...

February 20, 2015 @ 8:33 AM

headsup

@T.O. Mike

Congratulations! You've come over to the dark side!
On October 4 or 5 I remember commenting on this site that I was not going to watch the Leafs this season. They were an overrated team without any real sense of direction going forward. I have not watched much Leafs hockey at all this year - I'm not sure if I have watched one period in its entirety. Even when they won ten in a row, I wasn't wasting my time on this directionless team. Mike, you will enjoy the gift of found time, especially on Saturday nights. Enjoy your new found freedom!!
I don't mind watching a losing team if they are going through a rebuild. I'm sure I will happily watch next season when there is a direction and a plan in place.
In closing, pitchers and catchers report to Jays' camp on Sunday.
NO LEAFS NO!

February 20, 2015 @ 8:44 AM

elvis

If they win tonight, you have to stop blogging about them.

If they lose tonight, you've successfully created a reverse jinx and you must blog about them all the time.

Context: whenever you've blogged about them in the past, you've always caused something to go wrong.

February 20, 2015 @ 9:02 AM

@elvis

That's sort of like the bear tax.

February 20, 2015 @ 9:42 AM

headsup

Now don't bring Carlton into this...

February 20, 2015 @ 11:09 AM

Ajax Mike

This is the only way things will ever improve. As long as Toronto fans continue to support a terrible team with ratings and tickets, there's no incentive to change anything. Sure, there will be a few cosmetic changes, but why invest in the future when things are doing just fine on the bottom line?

February 21, 2015 @ 1:54 AM

elvis

@Ajax Mike - that argument doesn't make any sense. I'm not picking on you either as I know a lot of people subscribe to it but look at all the shitty teams in any sport over the years. Many of them have horrible attendance but continue to stink year after year. It's nice in theory but ownership has to have the right people in place to win - it's not good enough to just want to win or want to sell more tickets.

February 21, 2015 @ 10:39 AM

elvis

A glorious 2-1 loss last night. Keep blogging about the Leafs Mike. More more more!

February 21, 2015 @ 10:39 AM

And, considering the cash MLSE pockets for every playoff game they host, and the spillover effect of selling more jerseys and beer, there's no doubt MLSE is trying to win. They spend the cap and hire big names like Brian Burke.

We're awful, but it's not for lack of trying.

February 21, 2015 @ 10:44 AM

Irv

Supporting a failing team is like purchasing any failing product just because you have some emotional attachment to them. Why would you bother? Would you buy a Palm Treo?

The Toronto Maple Leafs were interesting to watch in 92-94 when Gilmour, Clark & Andrachuck (sp?) where the 1st line. After that they just drifted into oblivion. The Leafs have no real motivation to do better because they pull in huge revenue regardless. The problem isn't the Maple Leafs, it's the fans. You're idiots. Would you buy a car with bad ratings? Would you eat at place charged with multiple serious food violations? No? So why support a team that continuously fails.

And I could get it if the Leafs were like the Oilers (perpetual underdogs) but they're not. They're a powerful monied team. Would Yankee fans tolerate this? Would Man U fans tolerate this? No way. Nope, only people in Southern Ontario. When I see a Leaf fan I think "sucker".

February 21, 2015 @ 8:14 PM

Anonymous

It's called being a fan... I suppose you call all the Boston Red Sox fans suckers as well? That town also knows a thing or two about losing teams & traditions...

I'd say that the Sundin-CuJo years were pretty decent as well.

Regardless of revenue, the Leafs can't spend their way out of the mess (unlike what NYY have done in the past).

February 21, 2015 @ 11:29 PM

elvis

The Leafs made the Eastern Conference Finals in 1999 & 2002. That's a far cry from drifting into oblivion.

February 22, 2015 @ 11:19 AM

elvis

Additionally, yes, Yankee fans would put up with it and they did. The Yankees went from 1982 to 1995 (inclusive) without an American League East Pennant. Short memories only remember the pennants from 1996 to 2012 (13 in total, 9 straight).

February 22, 2015 @ 11:24 AM

Irv

@Elvis. Did the Yankees actually field a decent team in that time or where they consistently at the bottom? FYI, they're attendance per game has nearly DOUBLED since that time. When you support losers, the owners (who do it for the money), have no motivation to improve. The unrelenting & blind support of the Leafs = the same mentality toward the support of Rob Ford.

The word fan came from the term fanatic: A person with extreme zeal and uncritical enthusiasm (hence the Ford comparison). Mathematically it's impossible to win consistently in the NHL now but you can put out a decent team. The Habs manage to do it. Detroit has did it. Why can't the Leafs? The Habs really ARE Canada's Hockey Team and that from a guy who gives 0 fucks about hockey in general now.

February 22, 2015 @ 12:21 PM