Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 80: Fred Patterson

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 80In this 80th episode, Mike chats with Freddie P from the Humble and Fred Show about sports, politics, radio and Martin Streek. This episode is exactly 1:12:11.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

I inadvertently recorded with the wrong setting in GarageBand which is why this episodes sounds hallower than usual and why the inline audio is absent. It'll be fixed for episode 81, I promise.

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at https://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Lyle Lanley

Content is king, Mike. You may have messed up the settings, but it still sounds pretty good and it's a compelling conversation as usual.

June 18, 2014 @ 3:29 PM

For the curious, here is why it sounds like we're recording in the bathroom.

It was set to "built-in input" and should have been USB. No idea why it suddenly changed on its own. Live and learn, I guess!

June 18, 2014 @ 3:31 PM

Anon&on

Interesting hearing Fred talking about corporate culture and the lack of compassion for the individual. H&F talk a lot about their interns (who are in unpaid positions). This is a hold over of traditional radio, and it always strikes me as something they don't seem to have a problem with. And obviously they benefit from unpaid help.

Unpaid internships are under the microscope today. It just seems funny that Fred talks about moving radio forward, moving corporate culture forward, compassion for the individual, while having and expecting people expecting people to work for free today- because... that's the way it is (was) in radio?

I don't mean that as an attack on H&Fred, if I'd known he was going to be on I would have asked you to bring it up as a discussion point. Times change, I wonder how internships should or should not, and if he has a compelling reason to still have unpaid workers.

Sounded lousy, but at least it was consistent- still better than a lot of pro/semi pro podcasts I have endured.

June 18, 2014 @ 5:38 PM

Argie

Re: Unpaid interns

Despite being a pro-business, ultra conservative right-winger I have a problem with this business practice. I'm not slamming H&F, but the problem I have is that only individuals who are in the financial position to be "not paid" can enter this kind of arrangement (i.e. mummy & daddy have the means to support you 100% while you volunteer at a multi-million dollar corporation).

Most current students and graduates have bills and loans to pay and thus require taking a job that pays but also has nothing to do with the industry they're aspiring to be in.

I know, I'm sounding like a crazed lefty here, but really to me its simply a company taking advantage of an individual because the law allows them to.

Just my two cents.

June 19, 2014 @ 8:25 AM

Rick C in Oakville

In H&F's defence, these students need the hours to graduate, it is a curriculum necessity. The industry our company services, requires the same of the practitioners, and this year the colleges over graduated and a large number have yet to do their internships, and get the qualification hours.

I was waiting to hear a hand dryer go off, or a toilet to flush, but the content was excellent. Cheers.

June 19, 2014 @ 5:36 PM

CQ

@ Rick C in Oakville ((Jun 19th)
At some point hopefully there will be a formal education revolt? Take the CBC (English-language) News as example. Thousands of Journalism school graduates every year; their 25-year main anchor was a high school drop-out. Former youngster Ben Chin also once mentioned that he had never studied for broadcasting; still made the hiring rounds within the competitive flagship of uber-rules-following Toronto during the 2000s.
In my day, big companies just offered starvation wages for skills and qualifications; no-pay may at least sound cleaner.

June 20, 2014 @ 1:07 PM

Rob

First, regarding H&F:
Humble and Fred give the interns some mike time as well, something that the other radio corporations don't do. I also understand that H&F do take them under there wings and give them some real advice on how to survive the radio biz as well.

Second, Regarding Martin Streek fifth anniversary of his passing:
TOmike, have you though about contacting David Marsden and or David Haydu (aka, Geets Romo)?
I'm sure they might have some thoughts on Martin as well.
Plus if you can can get Geets on, he might look at your setup and leave a Mickey Mouse behind.

June 20, 2014 @ 2:33 PM

@Rob

I emailed Marsden. I haven't heard back yet.

June 20, 2014 @ 2:35 PM

Mike from Lowville

First off, I don't listen to many of your podcasts. This one I did. I must say, I truely enjoyed it. Fred and I have our differences,(politics and hockey) but the more I listen to him, the more I wish we could have meet up when we were younger. I think we could have been great friends. Most of his values and beliefs are bang on with mine. Maybe we will meet someday Fred (and Mike) and have a REAL man's beer!

This made my day! Thanks Mike and Fred.

June 20, 2014 @ 7:06 PM

Anon&on

Once again, just to be clear, I am not accusing H&F of wrongdoing, unpaid internships are a convention or tradition of their industry ( but a changing industry). Other industries have internships, but paid. Other education sectors have similar work requirements for graduation (such as co-op) but they are paid positions. Jesse Brown had an interesting episode on his Canadaland podcast about internships in print journalism, and he used the term 'illusionary industry' to describe journalism schools pumping out grads for positions that don't exist or that the industry can no longer support.

To bring it back to the content of Mike'd, and Fred giving a preview of the BNL episode, the Thursday episode of H&F was really interesting with the interns perspective on the BNL. I suspect most Mike'd listeners are also H&F listeners, but the BNL and the Thursday episodes are interesting listens.

June 20, 2014 @ 7:37 PM