Rob Ford: Does Loads of Wrong, Tells Public Exact Opposite

Rob Ford: Does Loads of Wrong, Tells Public Exact OppositeGreat quote from The Globe and Mail yesterday. The editorial is appropriately titled "Rob Ford, still setting the bar as low as it will go".

Mr. Ford’s message to the voting public is this: I may have smoked crack while in office and I may have lied to your faces about it; and shady characters in the drug underworld may have recorded me on a cellphone video while smoking said crack; and I may have a very close friend who has been charged with extortion related to attempts to recover that video from gang members after its existence became public knowledge; and I may have been recorded on other occasions ranting, incoherent, inebriated death threats and calling the Chief of Police unmentionable names; and I may have referred to my wife in a startlingly vulgar manner; and I may have purchased illegal drugs while in office; and I may have driven drunk; and I may have alienated the entire City Council and been politically neutered; and I may have made Toronto, in particular, and Canada, in general, a laughingstock; but I have done nothing wrong.

Argie

Oh no, here we go again....

April 7, 2014 @ 12:46 PM

Philly-Bob

Mike - He hasn't been charged with anything...that means he's done nothing wrong. If had done anything wrong, he'd have been arrested by now....

Of course, no one expects the Mayor of one of the largest, most recognizable cities in the world to, ya know, have moral standards....

April 7, 2014 @ 1:01 PM

Argie

@Phil
I agree but are voters choosing a friend or are they choosing a mayor?

Back in the 90s, most people didn't think much of Clinton's character but he did a good job so they wanted him as President.

And no, I'm deflecting or whatever term the "smart" people like to use....

April 7, 2014 @ 1:09 PM

elvis

Tip for Mike: if you want him to go away (read: not be re-elected in October), you should stop feeding the Ford Nation. Stories like these make the base more resolute.

April 7, 2014 @ 1:35 PM

Lyle Lanley

Rob Ford is a liar. Always has been, always will be.

April 7, 2014 @ 1:38 PM

@elvis

Ford Nation will vote for him if he's arrested for murder. Will my entry make them vote for him twice?

April 7, 2014 @ 1:39 PM

Eekan Boo

As concerns Ford's re-election bid, I believe everyone has already decided to vote for or against. Now the question is, who will the non-Ford's vote for.

April 7, 2014 @ 1:48 PM

elvis

If you want a bully to go away, you ignore them. The fringe Ford Nation crazies who might have some sense are being forced into a position to abandoned that sense.

April 7, 2014 @ 1:57 PM

markosaar

I agree with elvis ... no one's mind is being changed at this point. Just better to not give him the attention.

April 7, 2014 @ 1:58 PM

@elvis

Let me understand this logic...

When a mayor goes rotten, it's best not to bring attention to it for fear he'll get more votes from those who want a rotten mayor.

Got it.

April 7, 2014 @ 2:03 PM

Sammi

Meanwhile....Olivia wants to babysit the city and doesn't want to talk about a downtown relief line. I just may not vote at all.

April 7, 2014 @ 2:03 PM

@elvis

You promised weeks ago to write me and reveal your true identity.

You're a liar, just like the mayor.

April 7, 2014 @ 2:05 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Argie- No, you are right, they're voting for a Mayor...but if you think moral standards have no place in politics, then I'm afraid I can't even debate with you, you and I are just too far apart on what we expect from those elected to lead....

April 7, 2014 @ 2:13 PM

Boomer

I'm with Argie on this one...."here we go again".

April 7, 2014 @ 2:18 PM

"Here we go again".

Really?

This is a Toronto-centric blog that's written exactly one entry about Rob Ford in 2014: this one.

I also posted exactly one entry written by a guest blogger. And exactly one brief recap of the first mayoral debate.

That's it. In 2014. It's April 7th in an election year in a city with a walking disaster for mayor.

April 7, 2014 @ 2:21 PM

anyonebutford

@ Argie

The Clinton comparison is not apt. I'm not giving him a pass on infidelity, but there is a huge difference between boning an intern or two and:

Smoking Crack
Buying Crack
Drinking in Public Parks
Uttering Death Threats
Drinking and driving

I could go on and on. They guy needs to go.

April 7, 2014 @ 2:23 PM

Cosmo

@anyonebutford

Clinton didn't bone Monica Lewinsky. He just got head.

Seems cute and charming compared to what Rob Ford's done this term.

April 7, 2014 @ 2:25 PM

McNulty

The "here we go again" comment is very productive.

That's like a man saying to his wife, "Here we go again" when he's been caught cheating for the 5th time.

That's not an arugment. It's absurd.

I am sure the same people think "here we go again" about the gas plants. If Kathleen Wynne said, "Look, I apologized. I am human. Let's move on." They would ask for her head.

April 7, 2014 @ 2:53 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

Why go to Clinton on infidelity when during his reign as mayor, Mel Lastman and his wife held a surprise news conference announcing that he had a 14 year long extramarital affair with Grace Louie, a former Bad Boy employee and fathered two sons as a result of the affair.
How soon they forget.....

April 7, 2014 @ 2:53 PM

dysfunctonal

and a chronic
liar.

April 7, 2014 @ 2:54 PM

Argie

@anyonebutford
It wasn't just the Lewinsky stuff that Clinton did.

@Phil
I'm not saying people should vote for Ford - I'm just saying many voters only care about the job the person does (i.e. they ignore the baggage).

Like I wrote earlier, "here we go again."

April 7, 2014 @ 2:55 PM

Argie

@McNulty
I think its best for you I continue to ignore you.

April 7, 2014 @ 2:58 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

Art Eggleton continually refused to acknowledge the city's gay and lesbian community by declining to officially recognize Toronto's Lesbian and Gay Pride Parade each June

April 7, 2014 @ 3:00 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

Shortly after taking office, June Rowlands hired a relative for a municipal position without either advertising the position or interviewing candidates.

April 7, 2014 @ 3:03 PM

elvis

@Mike - you know my identity asshole.

April 7, 2014 @ 3:05 PM

@elvis

Haha... that was for Sammi! Oops...

Yes, I know Elvis's true identity.

April 7, 2014 @ 3:07 PM

McNulty

@ Argie

Yes, Argie. I am so afraid what you would do to me.

It must be best for me. Hell, why would you bother answering direct questions?

April 7, 2014 @ 3:10 PM

'Linda'
and the gift
she refused.

April 7, 2014 @ 3:14 PM

Argie

@Nigel
Then we have Barbara Hall....

April 7, 2014 @ 3:29 PM

Dawn Keibals

Blah blah blah........Mike we all are aware of your hate for Mr. Ford.
You have MADE YOUR POINT.
Then again,it will also give you a topic for the next four and a half years.

April 7, 2014 @ 4:34 PM

@Dawn Keibals

If my opinion on my blog bothers you so much, I suggest you stop reading.

April 7, 2014 @ 4:40 PM

Corey

Uh, isn't this why Tuesday Open Mike was cancelled?

April 7, 2014 @ 7:41 PM

is nothing
holy not even
common
sense?

April 7, 2014 @ 7:51 PM

@Corey

Not even close to the same thing. This entry is single-focused and disclosed in the title. If you don't want to read about Ford stuff, you won't click in to read the comments here.

April 7, 2014 @ 8:06 PM

@Corey

Which begs the question, why did you bother to click through, read the comments and complain about it? I suggest skipping entries in "Rob Ford Watch" if they upset you.

April 7, 2014 @ 8:08 PM

Corey

@Toronto Mike - Wow. Touchy today. Who said I was complaining? What gave you the idea the subject matter upsets me?
More of an observation really - you didn't like the descent into he left/right bickering that dominated the Open Mikes, something that this post is going to inspire. Seems curious is all.

April 7, 2014 @ 8:52 PM

@Corey

Yeah, I'm touchy. I had big money on Pauline Marois tonight.

April 7, 2014 @ 8:57 PM

Argie

@Mike
So, is open mike returning tomorrow?

Please say yes!!!

April 7, 2014 @ 9:54 PM

Boomer

@Mike, geez you are a little touchy today. I understand its YOUR blog. I'm just tired of the constant, constant media blitz on "Rob Ford". He sneezes and it's the top news story. I'm not defending him or blaming him. It's nothing to do with that.
It's like your favorite radio station playing that song from that band that you can't stand. You say "oh, not this crap again".

When I hear "Rob Ford" I say "oh, not this crap again".

April 7, 2014 @ 10:10 PM

@Argie

It'll be back, but you'd better be on your best behaviour.

April 7, 2014 @ 10:11 PM

@Boomer

Two things....

1. I'm not the media

2. This really is my only Rob Ford entry of 2014 - I'd argue I've shown great restraint because I'm just as sick of the guy.

April 7, 2014 @ 10:12 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Argie - Please stop with the "here we go again" rhetoric, you made a point, I argued it. I didn't call you names or denounce you as a rightie. I'm simply saying we need more than economic efficiency from our leaders....and I question Fords economic efficiency...

April 7, 2014 @ 11:29 PM

anyonebutford

@ Philly-Bob

But he's like every other right winger: say whatever you want about the other side, then turtle up and cry bully when people do it back. To compare rampant drug use, alcoholism, consorting with known criminals, and all the other crap ol' Farley boy does to a private matter like infidelity just smacks of the right wing "don't look at me, look over here" mentality that is killing North American Politics.

We're 2 presidents removed from Clinton Argie, try and go with something more current/relevant.

April 8, 2014 @ 8:17 AM

Boomer

@Mike - Are blogs, twitter, facebook etc, not "social" media?

April 8, 2014 @ 8:19 AM

this guest

we should be aware
he is a wreck and a liar

and I applaud the globe and mail
(conservative trolls that they are)
for this incisive depiction

there isn't much
light getting in

but

counting the holes
in Rob Ford's socks
(or psyche)
does not an informed political
discussion make,