Dean Blundell Show Suspension: 5 Possible Outcomes

Dean Blundell Show Suspension: 5 Possible OutcomesWith Dean Blundell suspended following their most recent controversy, I've been receiving a number of emails, Tweets and comments chock full of speculation. Here are 5 possible outcomes.

1. Window Dressing

The likeliest outcome of all is that Dean Blundell returns to host the 102.1 morning show early in 2014. He was likely going to take a couple of weeks off anyway, so sending him on vacation early and calling it a suspension is just window dressing to make it look like Corus takes this very, very seriously.

Screen shot 2013-12-16 at 10.49.19 AM

2. Fearless Fred

It's possible that Dean Blundell is now costing Corus too much money, and a move is in order. You could slide me in that spot and hardly miss a beat, but Corus is more likely to hand Fearless Fred the keys.

fearless-fred

3. Adam and Billie

Derek Welsman, Sunshine Marlowe and Adjwoa may have already been terminated, and Dean could be next. That would leave Billie as the sole remaining cog of the DBS wheel who could be joined by Adam. Adam and Billie in the mornings?

billie-holidays-strange-fruit

4. All Country

In a shocking move, 102.1 The Edge could leave the alternative rock format in the capable hands of Indie88 and bring country music back to Toronto. When 102.1 goes all country, Bill Welychka will be their new morning man.

bill

5. Humble and Fred

Humble and Fred were the morning show on 102.1 before Dean Blundell took over. They're available to slide right back into their old spots and it will be just as if the 2000s never happened.

condoms

Just kidding about that last one. I'd get the gig before Humble and Fred.

Argie

I always hate to see someone lose their job because of something they said or wrote even if he is a jerk. After all "sticks and stones...."

Some people just have to suck it up once in a while.

December 16, 2013 @ 10:52 AM

Glen

Interesting timing for a suspension, the Christmas break when most regular hosts on AM and FM go away until the New Year.

Plus as others have stated here you can't buy this kind of publicity for a morning show. When was the last time you talked about Roger Ashby?

Look for Blundell to be back in 2014.

December 16, 2013 @ 11:02 AM

Argie

@Glen
I didn't know Ashby was still alive. Who listens to him anyway?

December 16, 2013 @ 11:03 AM

Anonymous

although I don't think anyone on this site fits the demographic they are after anyway. so that is my two cents

December 16, 2013 @ 11:11 AM

mrmojorisinca

December 16, 2013 @ 11:11 AM

Wayner

If Dean leaves it will be his own decision. His popularity (and that of the Edge) will only skyrocket now.

The only person who really screwed up here was Derrick. He knew he shouldn’t discuss the trial even with the badgering of Dean and the others. He is an adult he should know better.

DBS has been far more cruel / insensitive / irreverent in the past and this episode is no different.

I say #1 - window dressing

December 16, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

@Wayner

My money is on #1 as well, but it's important to note that popularity does not always result in increased revenues, Corus's primary goal here.

If advertisers are hesitant to be associated with his show, Dean Blundell will be shown the door.

December 16, 2013 @ 11:23 AM

RS

Yes Argie. People should just 'suck it up' and deal with comments could have legal consequences.

December 16, 2013 @ 11:26 AM

Derrick

Country?! Good god help us all if that comes true.

Why would Corus give up the alternative market to a competitor? That doesn't make any sense.

December 16, 2013 @ 11:27 AM

If it's unclear, the "all country" option was intended to read as an obvious joke.

December 16, 2013 @ 11:28 AM

TheSweaterTuck

Two notes:

1. I heard Adam mention this morning that Adjwoa would be back tomorrow.
2. Jason Barr addressed the news this morning, but he did it by staying completely out of it.

December 16, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

Banger

I'd bet on option #1, but would prefer option #2.

Option #4 would be very funny.

December 16, 2013 @ 11:36 AM

Anonymous

"Sadly he will be back, his is a cheap knock off Howard Stern and well I think the world doesn't need another HS but Corus obviously thinks we do"

Hit the nail right on the head. What kills me is the amount of complaining that Dean does about other radio hosts "stealing" his material... after he stole his entire persona from Howard Stern.

December 16, 2013 @ 11:42 AM

RS

@TheSweaterTuck - Jason Barr mentioned it on 97.7?

December 16, 2013 @ 11:49 AM

Deborah

I don't care for Billy and Adam doesn't know how to pronounce Pompeii (?)
I'd like Fred in the am, but he's got small kids and may not enjoy the early morning hours

December 16, 2013 @ 11:49 AM

Joe

Hopefully it's the Humble and Fred option. The show they have on Sirius right now is very good. Todd is even guest co-hosting alot with them now. Dean's time is up. He is a Stern wana be. Hey how about this option, Maddog and Billie lol. Wouldn't that piss off Dean!

December 16, 2013 @ 11:53 AM

Argie

@RS
The trial is over so NO, there are no legal consequences.

December 16, 2013 @ 11:56 AM

Anonymous

For sure #1. The answer is in their terminology and when Corus uses the term "suspension", they're really saying; what's the big deal? He was making fun of three or four queers who got drugged and raped by a guy with AIDS. It's not like they were human.

December 16, 2013 @ 11:56 AM

Highlife

@Argie Juror misconduct isn't limited to prior to the verdict.

December 16, 2013 @ 12:21 PM

Anonymous

I vote for Humble&Fred! They have the most relevant and funny show not on radio!

December 16, 2013 @ 12:34 PM

@Argie

As the foreman of a jury I assure you what you happens in the jury room remains privileged, even after the verdict.

December 16, 2013 @ 1:07 PM

RS

@Argie - what Highlife said. Re-read the Toronto Star article that outlined why what Dean & Derek said on air is problematic for the case, and why the defense can now go after a mistrial. Here's the link: LINK

This is besides the fact that the comments were homophobic, bigoted, and disappointing to hear. NO ONE should 'put up' with comments like that.

December 16, 2013 @ 1:07 PM

Argie

@RS and Highlife
Much ado about nothing. The case is over. Blundell and his sidekicks have made fun of other groups in the past. Somehow this one group is special aren't they? As usual, the activists/lobby groups will win - not free speech.

December 16, 2013 @ 1:19 PM

@Argie

Two things:

1. Two wrongs don't make a right. it's wrong to make fun of gay people for being gay. If they've made fun of others in the past for how they were born, that was wrong as well.

2. You don't seem to understand that Derek was part of a jury that found a gay man guilty of sexual assault. You must appreciate why the convicted man's lawyer would be interested in Derek's homophobic remarks. This is not "much ado about nothing". This is "much ado about something".

December 16, 2013 @ 1:22 PM

Wayner

@Toronto Mike

I agree but it goes back to what H&F and others have said...there is not a viable alternative to DBS out there. CORUS has a virtual monopoly of the air waves at that time and that demographic is driven by DBS. Unless there is a major backlash by advertisers I don't think they'll be dumping Dean anytime soon. Dean may choose to walk if they try to “change” his show further. Depends on CORUS and if they actually want to take a stand

Fearless is good but I don’t think he appeals to the typical DBS fan. However, that being said, a good many of the DBS audience could be made up of those who simply don’t see an alternative and are stuck listening to DBS. They could be swayed by a smart, funny and inventive format ….

December 16, 2013 @ 1:28 PM

@Wayner

But the viable alternative to Dean Blundell is just about anyone else Corus sticks on 102.1 in the mornings.

December 16, 2013 @ 1:29 PM

Mark H

Not being a DBS listener since getting XM in the car nearly 2 years ago I'm coming at this without a dog in the fight so to say.

Generally my world view is that Political correctness has run amok and that however positive the initial intent of the movement may have been, it is now essentially just censorship. As adults we should have the right to listen and make judgments about the content of the media we listen to without somebody attempting to censor it.

I also generally accept that this is an easy position for a WASP-y straight male like myself to take and accept the criticism I'd receive for it.

If people are disturbed by what Blundell says don't listen to him, tell your friends not to listen to him, avoid advertisers that either hire him directly as a pitchman or advertise on his show and let those companies know why you're not. Let the market dictate what we will bear.

The comments on the show don't bother me. Its par for the course for sophomoric morning radio and is easy enough to tune out. The fact that Derek may have not approached his duty (a scared duty if you don't mind a bit of hyperbole) on the jury honestly and without prejudice is the biggest shame.

December 16, 2013 @ 1:29 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Argie - lets say, just for the sake of argument (Argie-ment hehehe)that you are Jewish (I know you're not, but for this example lets say you are).

You are convicted of rape, and days later the foreman of the jury, the man who looked you in the eye and said "we the jury find you guilty" makes anti-Semitic remarks on air, in reference to your case no less. Are you telling me that you would just say "meh...free speech is allowed so..."

This isn't about homosexual rights or lobby groups, we know where you stand on that. This is about a man who swore he had no bias against homosexuality and promised to render a non biased verdict.

No doubt, the man in question is guilty, no doubt it would be a tragedy if he were to be granted a mistrial on the basis of one idiot, but please, this isn't about gay or straight, it's about an idiot (or group of idiots in this case) who didn't know when to keep their fucking mouths shut.

Who I feel for are this man's victims who might have to go through the rigours of another trial because Wellsman doesn't know when to zip it.

But Argie, please just this once, try to look at this objectively and not see a left wing, tree hugging, homo loving conspiracy where none exists.

December 16, 2013 @ 1:34 PM

Argie

@Phil
If I was Jewish, in the example you gave me, yes I would be concerned. I can also see how the convicted rapist and his lawyer would be concerned about the juror's objectivity - I get that.

However, from what I've read about the comments from Blundell and crew, they were making fun more of deviants who attend bathhouses and not gay people in general.

Since we're being hypothetical, I wouldn't be offended if I was a gay person who lives a normal peaceful life.

My bigger concern is Blundell and his crew are being punished for being politically incorrect which is a joke considering the people they've offended in the past. As I wrote last week, this all proves the obvious double standard that exists.

And no, I'm not saying this is some coordinated left wing, homosexual conspiracy. I just see it as the four major groups that have been wronged in the past using their current status to stifle free speech. That to me is wrong.

December 16, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

@Argie

Who said there's free speech on Canada's airwaves?

There most certainly is not. One can't deny the holocaust, for example.

The Canadian Human Rights Commission (CHRC) is charged with enforcing the Canadian Human Rights Act (CHRA) which forbids “hate messages”. The CHRA prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability or conviction for an offence for which a pardon has been granted.

The main body monitoring and regulating broadcast content in Canada is the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council, a self-governing association of radio and television broadcasters. The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC), while also having the power to regulate broadcast content, intervenes only in the most serious and controversial cases.

It's all very popular, but there's definitely things you can't say on terrestrial radio in Canada.

December 16, 2013 @ 1:54 PM

Argie

@Mike
"The CHRA prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability "

I know but its wrong. They should only prohibit someone from advocating violence against a group or slandering an individual. Those should be the only punishable offences.

Anyway, I've wasted enough time defending someone I don't find entertaining or even like.

December 16, 2013 @ 2:20 PM

Max

Mike, why are you so set on Fearless Fred taking over mornings? Sure, he's the most viable option from the current line-up of personalities at the edge, but nothing is stopping Corus from going out to find someone else. I think if Blundell was dropped they'd bring in someone else.

Similarly to the conversation above, this is purely hypothetical because Corus would have to be out of their minds to fire Blundell now. I don't think the sponsors are planning on leaving yet either. It's unfortunate, but I agree that the suspension is just a Corus' poor attempt to feign sincerity. I don't think anyone is buying it.

I don't even hate Blundell that much. I'm just bored. So bored. It's time for change- has been for a while- but we all know it's a little further out than we want it to be.

December 16, 2013 @ 2:30 PM

@Max

Just a hunch... nothing more.

My guess is Dean will be back early in 2014.

December 16, 2013 @ 2:32 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Argie- So someone can go on the radio ad say "The Jews control all the money and are hoarding it for themselves" or "all gays have AIDS" and you're okay with that? There's no violence be called for in either statement.

******Disclaimer - the above statements are not my opinion, but simply examples of untrue cultural stereotypes. Neither Philly-Bob, nor torontomike.com endorse the use of such vulgar statements.

December 16, 2013 @ 4:15 PM

TheSweaterTuck

@RS
Yes, briefly during their instant answer question time because they were getting a lot of questions on it.

December 16, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

Max

@TheSweaterTuck I'm curious to hear it. They usually try to distance themselves from this kind of stuff. Subtle references are the most I've heard. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to hear it on the podcast.

December 16, 2013 @ 4:47 PM

frndson

There shouldn't have even been a trial to begin with. How do you sexually assult a man? I'd love to be sexually assulted

December 16, 2013 @ 5:12 PM

Max

@frdson I guess you missed the broadcast, huh?

December 16, 2013 @ 5:24 PM

Nick

@frndson

Wow that's the most ignorant thing I've read in a while.

December 16, 2013 @ 6:22 PM

Mike in Guelph

as stated earlier above, Adwoa was not fired.
She even responded to someone on twitter to say as much.\

December 16, 2013 @ 7:27 PM

Bubba in Jail

I would love for frndson to meet Bubba in jail and see if he has the same response.

What a tool!

Nick +1

December 16, 2013 @ 7:36 PM

Argie

@Phil
Whether I'm OK with those statements is of no relevance. I don't agree with them but no one should be punished for making a claim - even if its ridiculous like that. That's where we differ.

AS a few have noted, if you don't like what you're hearing, turn the bloody station.

December 16, 2013 @ 8:01 PM

Lorne

Please don't let the trolls degrade this into another sad "Todd" thread. :|

December 16, 2013 @ 8:02 PM

@Lorne

I'm snipping the truly distasteful stuff

December 16, 2013 @ 8:22 PM

RS

@frndson - the same way you can sexually assault a woman, or *anyone* for that matter: by initiating sexual contact without consent.

Congrats on winning the award for 'most ignorant statement heard/read today' btw. Statements like that show exactly why proper sex-ed that details what consent is needs to be taught in school.

December 16, 2013 @ 8:33 PM

jake

Mike, do you see Todd coming back to co-host with Adam...with a more music focused show?

Personally...I think Dean has run his course. He's just a bitter divorced guy...try to hang on to the last vestiges of his coolness.

December 16, 2013 @ 8:56 PM

@jake

I don't see that happening. This Corus breakup with Todd is not pretty.

December 16, 2013 @ 9:26 PM

Anonymous

What's wrong with chicken soup? I like chicken soup and I like H&F too. See the correlation? Neither do I.

December 16, 2013 @ 10:04 PM

santa claws

I hope they don't give the show to Adam, I don't think I could stand each morning to hear him say "AHHHHHHHH One O'two point one the edgea" after every damn song.

December 17, 2013 @ 7:05 AM

Mookie

In my opinion, no chance Adam gets the morning show. He is simply the utility guy willing to likely work any and all shifts asked.

I think Corus is likely really thinking about pulling the plug on the DBS. But I understand Blundell is owed a lot of money over multiple years on his current contract...and if it is one thing Corus knows, it is how to be cheap. They are the cheapest screws around.

So, more than likely they are looking for ways to find cause to terminate Blundell. If it won't be so, look for him to come back in an emasculated form in the New Year. Maybe they can rename the show "Bad Dog and Millie". Then Dean will finally completely turn into one of those he has been carving for years.

December 17, 2013 @ 12:59 PM

In my arms

You people can't seriously think that Corus is ready to fire dean. He's their ratings juggernaut and the entire station is centred around him and his show. This suspension is nothing more then a way to make it look like Corus is taking action. Bottom line is that they could care less about the scandal and if anything it's free publicity for the show and the station. Dean will be back in the new year as planned.

I guess it's cool to hate on the DBS show now but you'd have to be pretty dumb to think the show is over... Wishful thinking I guess but come on people use your heads

Also Adam is just the worst, his and adjwoas banter this morning was awful.

December 17, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

Sirens

I laughed when they were making the comments. People take stuff to seriously it was just joking around. My sister was sexually assaulted years ago and yes it's a terrible thing to have happen but you gotta take life with stride. No one was ever hurt from words and their jokes were very funny

December 17, 2013 @ 1:29 PM

Anonymous

@Max
Just listened to Biggs and Barr podcast from Monday. Their comments are at 53:27, really underwhelming, though, they just say they don't really care about it.

December 17, 2013 @ 2:46 PM

jake

Would be nice to see Dean and Todd make up and move to Sirius. Not saying it will happen...but they had great on air chemistry.

December 18, 2013 @ 11:26 AM

B

I still listen daily as I have for the last 10 years + but Dean expired a long time ago... I vote for giving Todd the lead with Billie, #2 or, #5! Dean is an ass.

December 18, 2013 @ 9:05 PM

This is the best

Corus is apparently making an announcement tomorrow at 2 pm. Rumour is that they will announce Deans departure due to creative differences they will also announce that starting january 6th "edge mornings" will be hosted by Billie and Adjwoa. making it Toronto's first ever morning radio show hosted by a woman. I have spurces that say Dean was basically bought out of his contract which is something he's wanted for about a year now due to a TV gig he's circling

December 19, 2013 @ 5:56 AM

murray

DBS is the only show on the radio ive ever found entertainment in. too many people are too easily offended. if you donèt like it, don't listen to it, It's a friggin radio show people, you can change the station.

December 19, 2013 @ 11:01 PM

Paul

@Toronto Mike

Do you have any additional information on the Corus breakup with Todd? I still don't get it and how sudden it was. If you believe Dean, he left on his own accord to pursue other career options.

December 20, 2013 @ 11:24 AM

@Paul

I know the whole story, but until Todd gives me permission to share it, I'm not saying a word.

December 20, 2013 @ 11:48 AM

survival

So Mike, have you interviewed Todd or have you just heard rumors like the rest of us and a pretending that you have the real scoop but "can't share it"

December 20, 2013 @ 5:06 PM

@survival

I spoke with Todd myself... earlier this week.

As soon as his lawyer gives him the okay, he'll tell the whole story. He's promised me.

December 20, 2013 @ 5:07 PM

Paul

@Toronto Mike

Thanks for the quick update Mike, greatly appreciated you clarifying that you spoke with Todd and there is another side to the story. To be honest I was quite upset with what happened having been a long time fan of the show and of the combination Todd/Dean brought to the airwaves. Didn't believe Dean's rosy explanation. The fact that they seemed to no longer be friends after he left was also odd (assuming that they really had a friendship as they both described over the years).

December 21, 2013 @ 11:21 PM

Ray

If #corus wants to cry about a sissy comment on the #deanBlundell show and just start firing/dropping shows over it, they can kiss my ass and go to hell, that show was the only good thing about Ontario radio, funny or not it was the only normal radio show out there (#BUNCHOFCRYBABIES) go suck it!!! I'm moving to Sirius Satellite radio where it doesn't matter about peoples opinions!!!!!!

December 22, 2013 @ 9:03 AM

GirlNamedJake

But wouldn't #5 be the most hilarious karmic outcome for Dean personally? I'm still coming to terms with Billie even bein' on 'NY. I think Fred should get the chance if he wants it. (Are his TV or drawing aspirations bigger than radio these days?)

December 22, 2013 @ 3:54 PM

bennison

Fred is a hipster and he looks like Elijah Wood's fatter older brother

December 22, 2013 @ 5:46 PM

fredsquan

So Are the rumors that the show is gone for good actually true? Come on Mike, we need an update article on the suspension. I'll tune to the edge tomorrow but If its Adam and his lame schtick again I think i'm gonna lose all hope that DBS will ever be back

January 5, 2014 @ 6:19 PM

Mary

January 6...Adam's on air...Me thinks Dean is done.

January 6, 2014 @ 9:39 AM

Jaimebpc

DBS is cancelled

I'm sure their ratings will plummet ...

January 6, 2014 @ 12:25 PM

Paul

Wow...just wow. Did not expect that. But good call overall. The show has been nothing since Todd was fired, and Billy...is not funny or witty. The show has been on the decline for a while. I always find it interesting on the 102.1 website. When Todd was fired it was like he was never even there, everything had been wiped clean. Now that the Dean Blundell show is gone...not one trace of it exists on the website. Say what you want about the show and why it was terminated. But I had many many good laughs over the years cause of that show as I am sure most people looking and following Toronto Mike have as well. But to erase everything, like it never existed is sad in my opinion. That show brought them alot of money, advertising, exposure, awards, laughs...etc. :(

Thanks for keeping on top of the story Toronto Mike, much appreciated. Looking forward to Todd's interview.

January 6, 2014 @ 1:51 PM

Long time coming

So I worked with Dean in Windsor and he is a massive ass. I will tell you he knocked up his wife and then decided to get married and I actually thought this was going to be a turning point for him. He loved her so much! I left Windsor for another radio gig and he was all over her (crabby joe's!, Stereo Mike, Chaz on the beat - just in case you thought I wasn't real Dean - oh, Drunk Kelly screaming matches??). I hope so much this is the end for you, but I so doubt it.

January 12, 2014 @ 9:07 PM