Memorial for Sue Trainor

Memorial for the Unknown BikerOn Wednesday, a cyclist was struck by a minivan and killed near my home. She was 51-years old. I couldn't find her name in any news reports about her death.

Although I feel terrible whenever someone loses their life in a traffic accident, this cyclist's death has affected me more than usual. It's because of where it happened, on Lake Shore Boulevard by Dwight Avenue, just west of Royal York. Since I moved into the neighbourhood a couple of weeks ago, I've ferociously biked this stretch of Lake Shore as it's part of the Waterfront Trail between First Avenue and Norris Crescent, the street that connects Lake Shore to the waterfront pathway. I bike this stretch, my wife bikes this stretch, my kids bike this stretch, it's eerily familiar territory.

I may not know her name, but I wanted to stop at the spot where she died. There's a small memorial there now, and I took photos.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Tonight I'll tip a glass for the unknown cyclist...

Update: Commenter Mel has shared some information in the comments about her good friend Sue Trainor.

Mel

Hi Mike. The cyclist was my good friend and cycling companion Sue Trainor. Sue was an amazing spirit, a good friend, a mom, a wife and someone everyone liked. Her sudden passing has affected so many people both in and out of the cycling community. Sue will be missed by many, many people.

September 20, 2013 @ 10:59 PM

@Mel

I'm truly sorry for your loss.

September 21, 2013 @ 10:30 AM

Jenny

Mel,

I am sorry. This is so very sad.
RIP Sue.

Jenny

September 21, 2013 @ 11:42 AM

Lucy Payette

Sue was my beloved sister, friend and confidante, and the Godmother of my child. Her family and friends all miss her terribly and celebrate her incredible joy for life.

September 21, 2013 @ 3:13 PM

Wendy

It hurts when a fellow cyclist is killed on our streets of Toronto and across Canada. From the photos I have seen of Sue Trainor she was one who loved to cycle. I was on the same route that same day 2 hours earlier, heading through Mimico enjoying the sunny Wednesday afternoon. Many cyclists ride this route and it is heart breaking when we find one is now no longer riding. My salute to Sue!!! We will miss her on the road......

September 22, 2013 @ 9:44 PM

Susanne Marquardt

My partner and I ride this route all the time. It's sickening the number of needless cycling deaths due to lack of bike lanes and safe road infrastructure. What has to happen before the city gets serious about the fatal consequences of simple accidents that shouldn't be fatal?

September 23, 2013 @ 1:31 PM

Ruby

I also live very close to where the accident happened and was deeply saddened!! This stretch of road is nerve racking and that light at first street is terrible!!! RIP Sue! I think of you and your family every day I walk past where the accident happened.

September 23, 2013 @ 11:30 PM

Mike

I used to live in TO (about 30 years ago) and met Sue a handful of times; she was close to my sister and brother-in-law. I now live in Calgary and cycle commute roughly 10,000km/yr (including through the winter with battery heated gloves and Schwalbe Ice Spikers). I was so saddened to hear of Sue's death and am "dying" (pardon the pun) to better understand what happened. I just don't buy that she "lost control of her bike".

TO's biggest challenge will be to convince mayor Ford that bike lanes are a worthy item to put on counsel's agenda.

September 24, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

RIP SUE

Sue Trainor, a mother of two, was well known in Mississauga's cycling circles, particularly at Gears Bike Shop in Port Credit, where she was a member of the Gears Girls Women's Road Cycling Group.

Here Sue Trainor and her daughter Kelsey:

RIP

September 24, 2013 @ 11:32 AM

Anonymous

Mike her bike was in perfect condition as I was there when the accident happened. Her bike was not struck...

September 25, 2013 @ 8:52 PM

Dermanus

My son goes to school just up the road from there. I ride him to there two or three times a week. He hasn't seen the ghost bike yet, and I'm debating how to introduce him to it. I saw it yesterday after I dropped him off and turned left at that same intersection.

It's a scary reminder, but it is a constant risk when you go on the road.

October 2, 2013 @ 1:13 AM

sandra

I just hear the news today. I am so shocked and still shaking. She was so passionate and caring. She was an excellent cyclist and I really miss her.

December 8, 2013 @ 10:26 AM