Bill Carroll to Return to Toronto Radio on AM640

Bill Carroll to Return to Toronto Radio on AM640I wasn't even going to write about this, because I've never listened to Bill Carroll on AM radio. I faintly remember him appearing on Test Pattern with Dan Gallagher and I heard him host Barometer on Q107 back in the day, but I completely missed his body of work with the old TALK 640 and more recently on 1010 CFRB.

Since I'm neither a Bill Carroll fan, nor an AM640 listener, I figured a tweet was sufficient to share the "too hot to just be a rumour" news that Bill Carroll will return to Toronto airwaves with an afternoon spot on AM640. Multiple sources tell me this is happening.

Bill Carroll currently hosts The Bill Carroll Show on KFI in Los Angeles, so will Bill Carroll be hosting the AM640 show from LA or is he moving back to Toronto?

His wife's Facebook page gives us a clue. Please note, I'm sharing this screen cap b/c it's publicly available.

fb

It sounds like a move to Toronto might be in the works for April 2013, if you read between the lines. It's subtle, but it's there.

Is Bill Carroll going to host afternoons on AM640? Will he be moving to Toronto to do so in April? Does anyone care?

Update: Bill Carroll will be doing the AM640 Toronto show out of LA.

elvis

Arlene Bynon goes back to selling diamonds/paid-programming on Sundays only then?

December 16, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

@elvis

When they announced Arlene Bynon had the afternoon spot I had to scratch my head. She bores me to tears. I can't listen to her.

I always felt they should give the afternoon spot to Stafford.

December 16, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

JP

Intersting, if only because he had supposedly become something of a talk radio star in LA, getting great ratings. KFI is a major station down there.

Maybe he came back for family reasons.

December 16, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

Mr. C

If the plan involves trying to get Bill a national profile in the U.S. it doesn't matter where he is.

Running such a show on a Canadian station too would be unique.

December 16, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

Declan

Mr. LA Bill Carroll would never leave California to return to Toronto.

I'd bet he'll broadcast to Toronto from LA and continue on KFI.

December 16, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

Justin

Bob Mccown rules that time-slot for me so I probably wouldn't listen much when he comes back. He still provides a much better option than Tory on 10101 who's so excruciatingly vanilla and milquetoast I can't listen to him.

December 16, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

memyselfandI

From Bill's website:

STAND-BY TORONTO

Hey Toronto listeners, Bill Carroll has a big announcement, call it a Christmas Present for his fans... Stay-tuned for details as we can't let out the big secret just yet!

December 16, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

Anon&on

Wouldn't this be the equivalent of going from Etobicoke to Fort Francis?

December 16, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

Pigeon Toed Dave

Howard and Fred would know. They are big buds with Bill. Why would he leave a job that pays him ten times as much to go back to 640........

December 17, 2012 @ 6:38 AM

Argie

Geez, Mike I'm agreeing with you again.

Stafford is the man for the drive home - he's also the guy for the morning too.

December 17, 2012 @ 8:17 AM

Gary

I agree with you too Mike. I always thought Stafford should be in the afternoon.

As for Bill Carroll....maybe he just wants to come home.

December 17, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

To Gary's point, home is home. And Toronto is the radio capital of Canada. And syndication options exist. Sometimes you just want to come home.

December 17, 2012 @ 9:22 AM

MrFascination

I don;t think it was his choice... Like most stations in the past they just got tired of him.... Sorry Bill...

December 17, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

Dave Williams

@MrFascination, Either way it is a win, win if he is on the Toronto airwaves. If he has a show from LA or live in Toronto, Bill is and always was a quality act. It would be nice to have Stafford on the air more though.

December 17, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

MrFascination

@ Dave - That's your opinion... I like Bill but I too got tired of him on RB.

December 17, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

Goofee

Bill is filling in mornings on KFI this week, hardly sign of dislike there.

December 17, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

Rick C in Oakville

He is joining the Humble and Fred network, that is the big news that they have been teasing us with on the Podcast the last few weeks LOL. Bumped into Humble tonight at the local Mac's store, was very gracious to a stunned fan.

December 17, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

Did he make you pay for his milk?

December 17, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

Rick C in Oakville

LMAO Mike, no he was already on his way and came back as Spenser saw that I had recognised him and had given him a wave. If it was at a bar I would have definitely bought him a drink.

December 17, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

Stafford has my vote for the afternoon spot. Arlene Bynon has me tuning in to 820 funnies on the drive home now.

December 18, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@ Nigel: Whole heartedly agree with your choice. Never get a chance to hear Stafford due to his time slot.

December 18, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

Marc Di Stephano

I don't think that he was very well liked in LA by the listeners or even his co-hosts. Out of curiosity, I listened to one of the podcasts and he was scrambling, name-dropping left and right about Rush and how he's such great friends with them. The producer and another host were clearly not impressed and kept poking holes in his stories.
I'm guessing he tanked in LA and no one else wants him there. Newstalk wouldn't offer him a slot so Bill the Shill begged AM640 to take him back (they fired him in 1998 for low ratings on the morning show) We'll see, but I don't think that he'll do very well. He has a few groupies out there (Iain Grant) who are very vocal, but not a huge amount of solid numbers.

December 18, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

Freddie P.

Even though he fired me as his best man, I wholeheartedly agree, Mike Stafford should be in afternoon drive.
This is so Canadian.
640 signs Carroll only after he proves himself in the United States. Meanwhile, in my opinion, the guy they've already got (Stafford) is more entertaining than Carroll. Yet they'll probably be paying Carroll four times what they're paying Stafford, therefore,
shouldn't Stafford be in LA making more than Carroll? Help me, my head hurts and I will never be able to understand this business.
Shouldn't Stafford be in LA making more than Carroll?
@Marc (not your real name) you're so fuckin' wrong it's scary, you jealous bastard.
Carroll has been a smashing success in LA and he's staying there. He'll be doing the Toronto show out of LA. He makes huge American radio dough and this will be the icing on the cake. Bill Carroll is becoming a very rich man. Sorry to tell ya.

December 19, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

Anonymous

This email was just sent:

Because you're an AM640 Insider, we're giving you advance notice on a very special programming announcement. Listen between 7am and 7:30am to The John Oakley Show THIS FRIDAY, December 21st to hear all of the details!

December 19, 2012 @ 5:08 PM

Shoulda Coulda

I was glad to see Carroll and his massive ego and his constant "let me tell you about my wife and kids. Again." off to LA as it meant I didn't have to hear him - even accidentally. Of course 'RB still stuck him in with Tory but since while likeable, I can't do Tory's milquetoast radio style, I had no problem. Now he's back in drive in 640?? Ugh. Bynon is tolerable but good luck to her getting a word in edgewise if they are in fact sharing the mic. Thank God for my Sirius.

December 21, 2012 @ 7:37 AM

Rebekkah

I guess more correctly, it's going to be the "Arlene and Bill show" as she will be there for the entire three hours.

December 21, 2012 @ 7:39 AM

Becky Tonner

well I guess I will have to favourite AM640 now...this is awesome news I love BC so much and just can't wait for Jan 7. Bill is doing his show out of LA,they signed him to a new contract. At least 640 Am know a winner when they hear one. RB is running scared as they should be.Poor John Tory will be massacred, maybe he will run for the Provincial PC leadership or consider running for mayor of Toronto. One can only hope. The fact that RB was running those bumper ads about their hosts living in their city, province and COUNTRY, shows they are scared..RB has lost a lot of listeners, and will continue to do so with this latest announcement.

December 21, 2012 @ 8:00 AM

AM640 Release

Talk Radio AM640 Welcomes Bill Carroll to Afternoon Drive
Carroll to join lineup of Toronto's leading news talk hosts on January 7, 2013
TORONTO, Dec. 21, 2012 /CNW/ - Corus Radio Toronto's Talk Radio AM640 is pleased to announce that renowned talk radio host and commentator, Bill Carroll, is joining the station as the new afternoon drive host starting Monday, January 7, 2013. Bill will be on air weekdays from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. with award-winning Canadian journalist, Arlene Bynon.
A seasoned talk show host, broadcast reporter and news anchor, Bill's career began over 25 years ago and has included hosting positions at morning and afternoon drive shows in Ontario (including Corus' Q107 in Toronto) and California where he is also the host of the Bill Carroll Show on top-rated L.A.-based talk radio station KFI AM 640. Bringing his signature no nonsense approach to current issues, Bill's special brand of talk radio offers AM640 listeners a compelling afternoon drive experience.
"We're thrilled to have Bill join our AM640 team as he will positively serve our station's mission to be the best talk radio station in Toronto," said Gord Harris, Program Director, AM640. "Bill's flair for storytelling and his ability to engage and entertain his listeners is a great fit with the station's lineup of informed and opinionated current affairs program hosts."
"This new show is about Toronto and for Toronto, and I'm very excited to be back on air full-time in the city and on my new 'home', AM640," said Bill Carroll. "I'm also thrilled that Arlene Bynon will be part of the program and I look forward to engaging with her and the loyal audience she has built."
"It's wonderful to see Bill Carroll coming back to Toronto radio," said Arlene Bynon. "I have been driving this bus for a year and half and look forward to sharing the mic with Bill for part of the show which will allow me to pursue my many other interests."
Bill will join Canada's premier and market-leading on-air talent including John Oakley, Mike Stafford, Tina Trigiani, Jeff McArthur, Charles Adler and Roy Green.
To listen online, please visit www.640toronto.com
Talk Radio AM640, is owned by Corus Entertainment Inc., a Canadian-based media and entertainment company. Corus is a market leader in specialty television and radio with additional assets in pay television, television broadcasting, children's book publishing, children's animation and animation software. The Company's multimedia entertainment brands include YTV, Treehouse, Nickelodeon (Canada), ABC Spark, W Network, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network (Canada), CosmoTV, Sundance Channel (Canada), Movie Central, HBO Canada, Nelvana, Kids Can Press, Toon Boom and radio stations including CKNW AM 980, 99.3 The FOX, Country 105, 630 CHED, Q107 and 102.1 the Edge. Corus creates engaging branded entertainment experiences for its audiences across multiple platforms. A publicly traded company, Corus is listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (CJR.B). Experience Corus on the web at www.corusent.com.
Follow Corus PR on Twitter @CorusPR
Like AM640 on Facebook
Follow AM640 on Twitter at @am640

December 21, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

constantine

Just bring back The Bill Watters Show.

December 22, 2012 @ 11:31 PM

Lee

Bill isn't even going to be live until the last hour of the show.

John Tory is going to kick his ass in ratings!

December 23, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

Anonymous

Am so very delighted to hear
that Bill Carroll will be back on the radio in Toronto. I missed him something terrible!

December 26, 2012 @ 3:01 AM

Arlene W

What is Arlene Bynon's role going to be? are they just weaning us off her? or weeding her out? If anybody should be removed it's Tina Trigiani...so annoying and repetitive and constantly whining...OY!! the dial gets changed as soon as I hear her intro music...Tina should be out and Arlene should take her spot

December 29, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

Anona-moose

@Arlene W...

I work in Radio Sales, and have access to numbers regarding Tina Trigiani. She does VERY well against her competition on Newstalk 1010, FAN590 and TSN Radio 1050. And I'm told better than Arlene when she was temporarily in the same slot in the past before being moved to afternoons.

January 2, 2013 @ 2:40 PM

Lance Davis

Arlene Bynon makes John Tory sound entertaining and controversial. She has no opinions or personality and has no place in any primetime radio timeslot.

Although I got tired of Bill Carroll after he got married and spoke incessantly about his allegedly gorgeous wife and beautiful children, he still does entertaining radio. He has strong opinions, speaks his mind, and is well-informed.

Not sure what the format of the new show will be but Bynon cannot continue to occupy any space with Carroll on the air.

I expect Tory will take a big ratings hit and may very politely go away and do something else, which he routinely does anyhow.

My overall opinion of 640 is not very favourable as I feel they are weak on substance. Oakley is generally clueless in the mornings and is only listenable when he does humour. I think Carroll will strengthen the line-up and provide some legitimacy. I think Mike Stafford has also improved greatly over the last few years and does some really entertaining radio.

Look forward to listening and discovering how well it turns out.

January 4, 2013 @ 5:13 PM

William

Bill Carroll should be honest with his listeners. When he comes back at the start of the third hour saying, "We should take some calls, we haven't done that yet," he doesn't mention that the first two hours were prerecorded because he's still doing his live show on KFI in LA! I've listened to Bill several times on KFI and found he was trying too hard to be the loud boistrous American talk show jock. It sounded phoney.

I agree that Mike Stafford is the best talk show host in the city/ country.

Tin's show is good too.

January 8, 2013 @ 3:38 PM

Chas

Stafford is miles ahead of Carroll who is only mildly more engaging then Bynon. Oakley and Stafford would be a 1-2 punch in the two daily drive slots.

January 25, 2013 @ 9:15 AM

Anonymous

Arlene Bynon was fired.

Sandy Salerno (formerly with CFRB) has taken her role co-hosting on 640's afternoon show. Arlene's been purged from the 640 website, and no mention of her even existing on today's show.

January 30, 2013 @ 11:30 PM

Eva

Was Arlene Bynon really fired ??? I thought she was the best talk show host on 640 AM !! She was smart, intelligent and did a great job of interviewing .... can't believe she was fired !!!

February 1, 2013 @ 6:14 PM

Gerry

I have been looking for her show on the drive home for a while now. I thought she was on holiday. My favourite talk show host. Let callers make their points without cutting them off when they disagree.

I will really miss her and now listen to more cd's on the way home.

February 16, 2013 @ 6:31 PM

Rob

I like Bill but when he acts like he is in Toronto when he is actually still living in LA bothers me .

His listeners are not stupid .

February 27, 2013 @ 3:40 PM

nancy nick

where is Arlene? she was my favourite! I will NOT listen to bill- he is too sure of himself and too boring. bring Arlene back.

March 13, 2013 @ 3:24 PM

Limey

Oakley is the Best, stafford should be in the afternoon and without Ryan. He interupts way too much Tina whines and is not interesting and Sandy Salerno should not ever be on the radio, her voice and comments are awful. Bill has good points. Glad Arlene is gone, she always cuts off people and is soooo boring to listen to. Rant over

March 20, 2013 @ 1:58 PM

Craig

Bill Carroll is an arrogant and over opionated host who always interupts his callers if he does not agree with them and most often does not even let them complete thier point or input. What kind of a call show is that. It should be called the (my opinion only show) by Bill Carroll. Arlene Bynon was awesome, and a truly well balanced host that actually let it be a talk show. (what a mistake 640!)I only listen a bit in the early mornings now.

March 23, 2013 @ 3:29 PM

Scott

Corus radio is purposefully, responding to the intelligence of their audience when they moved Arlene,out and replaced her with BC. It's called the dumbing down of your listenership, and if you don't agree with that then..... you're currently listening to the right host.!

March 26, 2013 @ 6:55 AM

Lola

I sincerely hate Bill Carroll. He thinks he is "all that" even more now that he is in LA. If LA is sooooooooooooooo great, why doesn't he just stay there and not mooch off us Canadians with his stupid broadcast? Who does he think he is fooling? I once called in to talk to him and was only able to speak maybe 5 words before he interrupted me and make me feel stupid. What an ass! I won't be listening to him. I like Tina T and her 2 backup boys. They are fantastic as well as Oakley and Stafford. I hate Bill. Bill, stay where you are you aggrogant bully. You are now considered to me AMERICAN. You're acting like one more and more each day!

April 3, 2013 @ 11:46 AM

Joe

Gord Harris has made many good moves with 640, but bringing back Bill Carroll was a mistake. A boring and overrated host, I don't see him being an upgrade to Bynon.

Bynon was charming, intelligent, and live. I repeat live. Carroll tapes his show from 4-6. Live Drive? Not even close.

Bill Carroll is too awful to listen to.

Bring back Arlene.

August 16, 2013 @ 7:26 AM

paul

you guys are such assholes....go back to listenig to michael-fag-jackson and the back street boys.

October 15, 2013 @ 4:33 PM

Anonymous

Oakley is a perfect fit for the morning drive, stafford is genius for late morn time slot. TT should just do news, even her music just plain pisses me off. Get rid of her and bump up JM. Bill C isnt bad, just get rid of S Salerno, again leave her at traffic or news updates. The pause then music that fits the topic for a few seconds doesnt flow right. I get what they are trying to do but its an awkward moment. Just roll the music in background and keep talking over it- dont pause then talk. My cat would be better host than TT or Arlene B for that matter

October 15, 2013 @ 6:18 PM

Sadie

I miss Arlene's show very much - need to bring her back.

November 5, 2013 @ 7:47 AM

Sadie

As for Bill Carroll? He needs to go away. For a very long time. Boring, and self advocating - not engaged with listeners views. Doesn't sound very bright.

November 5, 2013 @ 7:49 AM

goggles

I just stopped listening to 640 in the afternoon all together, after Oakley/Stafford there really isn't much, I was wondering how many times is Bill Caroll going to mention his wife on his show, instead I tuned out, enough is enough, if Bill Caroll thinks it good, let him think it, eventually ratings catch up on him.

December 16, 2013 @ 8:16 AM

Firstly, I don't know exactly what Corus has in mind, but if I were a betting man I'd bet...

This is nothing more than window dressing. Dean was going to take a couple of weeks off at Christmas anyway. They suspend him early, give him an extra day and he returns early in 2014 having learned his lesson.

December 16, 2013 @ 8:45 AM

Anonymous

Good move replacing Carroll. Now replace John and Ken,they are terrible. Monique Marvez is great. Give her a job.

February 10, 2014 @ 6:41 PM

Norman Bloom

I have to say that I listen to Bill Carroll show now that he is back on AM 640. John Tory is now off CFRB because he is running for the Mayor's seat in Toronto in the late fall.

Bill doesn't have that competition now since John has left his post. I like the way Bill expresses himself and he sometimes can be grouchy like me with some attitude like me. I can relate to bill show.
I also do like Mike Stafford show he talks about issues that effect us throughout the day. I like his opinions and the station in general. I wish they would have more weekend talk shows. It seems that all the good talk shows are during the work week. Anyways its a good station. I do sometimes listen to Coast to coast. I have no choice that show seems to blanket the North American market at nights. I have my wonders about some of the topics. I'll leave it there for now....

March 29, 2014 @ 10:48 PM

badwolf27

I like Sandy. She and Bill have great chemistry. She adds a bit of light heartedness to the show which is refreshing. I enjoy them both.

April 4, 2014 @ 5:04 PM

Sully

Bill Carroll is un-listenable. Pompous, egotistical blowhard, and an all-round dick. Not to mention that he lives in LA, yet pretends to relate to life in Toronto. Then again, he was a total jerk when he DID live here, so nothing much changes.

May 20, 2014 @ 4:25 PM

Ben Vidal

@ Sully: I agree completely. Bill Carroll is actually the most frustrating anchor on the Air now. I find him self-serving and a bit disingenuous speaking to Ontario and anything going on in Toronto when he doesn't live here.

May 21, 2014 @ 9:32 AM

Helana

Omg Boring ass Bill is still there and they got rid of Tina Trigiani last month. She is back to being a nobody doing news. This radio station is sexist they got rid of Arlene who was always cutting Ppl off, - enjoyed when she brought that USA man John Laboutieliier on, they should have replaced her with a different woman and now Tina is gone and Sandy Solerno who sounds like Goofy and Shaggy the dog is still there. Bring back Tina or bring another female. Enough of Jeff McAurthur already...

August 15, 2014 @ 9:59 PM

Derek

It's a sad day for talk radio when they have BC on the airwaves.
He is self serving, ignorant, pompous.
Bring back Arlene or Tina.

October 21, 2014 @ 3:17 PM

Marc Di Stephano

The big yellow board just posted a link to your interview with Mike Stafford, specifically mentioning that Mike Stafford got a 7 share when he did the 4 to 7 shift.

Too bad Bill the Shill Carroll only gets a 1.1 share.

Why does AM 640 bother to keep him?

March 12, 2015 @ 1:09 PM

@Marc Di Stephano

Here are some previous episodes you might be interested in: http://www.torontomike.com/2014/11/cant_miss_toronto_miked_episodes.html

Let the yellow board know!

March 12, 2015 @ 1:13 PM

Rosemary

Hi people I lov Bill Carroll
Radio Talk Show , especially first hour , with Sandy Salerno , Chris and Bill Carroll . The three f them hav made me laugh . At times when I need to smile ,or laugh . I find Bill to be smart, informative, with a great sense of humour. What I don't understand is if u all don't like to listen Change the station

March 20, 2015 @ 8:33 PM

Limey

3 years after my original comment and not much has changed. Bill carroll still an ass and still talks about his wife and kids every show. Sandy salerno now has more bloody voice( i think she lives at am640).Can't stand jeff mcarthur the condescending ponse. Stafford is running out of topics. He also talks about his wife and kids too much. Oakley is still brilliant. So it's just the morning drive for me now.

November 22, 2015 @ 8:22 PM

Anonymous

I have read most of these comments . Agree whole heartily that the Bill Carroll segment is boring , and terrible to say the least. He comes across quite pompous and most of the time his contributions are quite shallow . Time for a change.
Agree Oakley has a better show.

December 19, 2015 @ 3:09 PM

Yes, Bill Carroll has quit his gig at KFI in LA. He says he wants to move "closer to home". Will that be Toronto? Possibly... but he's not ruling out "the same time zone".

January 8, 2016 @ 3:55 PM

susan

I'd say his contract wasn't renewed in LA and that's why he's moving. He just bought a huge house in LA 1-1/2years ago and wouldn't have done so if he knew he would be leaving town. Radio is like that-you can be good but it doesn't really matter if the ratings are down or management has plans that don't include you. Bill is a pro so won't be crying on air about this but rest assured this wasn't his idea.

January 8, 2016 @ 4:45 PM

Steve

From Bill's Facebook page

"I'm overwhelmed by the response here on Facebook and Twitter. Thanks to all of you for such kind words. I wish I were half that nice or talented. Here's the plan... We will remain in LA at least until the house is sold and to let the kids finish their school year.

I am still hosting the Toronto show for now. My contract there is up in a few weeks. We have talked about me going there full time but it's far from certain.

We know we'd like to be closer to home. There's no chance I can host a show in French so that eliminates Sylvie's home town of Quebec City. Although it would be massively entertaining to hear me try I'm sure.

My phone is already ringing. (More like texts and vibrations really). We are excited as hell about the future and will have more to say about (aboot) all of it soon I'm sure.

Sylvie and I have found ourselves to be increasingly homesick lately. It was time to put her life ahead of my career.

What an amazing 6 years it has been in SoCal and at KFI. I will always be proud to have worked at this legendary station. I'm sure we will always feel a little homesick for the great friends and fans we have here.

Now it's time to play with the kids and enjoy this beautiful day. Life is great! Health and family are all that matter. Enjoy your weekend. Thanks for reading this long series of posts."

January 9, 2016 @ 5:03 PM

Brenda

Bill, I am so sorry you are not on KFI anymore. I missed you and had to see what happened. It is so cold in radio, one day there, one day not. You had a GRRRREAAATTTT show and I really enjoyed you and your insights and Scottish accent. I will really miss you and your humor. Check out my website to see who is writing to you. I 've listened to KFI 24/7 for 20 years. You leave a BIG HOLE in my day. My best to you my radio friend. Brenda

January 11, 2016 @ 11:01 PM

Brenda

Your answer is as loud as your willingness to LISTEN!
Go within to the silence everyday, 20 minutes minimum, longer if you can, and you will be directed to the perfect place and timing. I assure you it is waiting for you. Smile.

January 11, 2016 @ 11:04 PM

Brenda

I don't know if you can see my site so here it is. www.intimatemonologues.com

January 11, 2016 @ 11:04 PM