Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 11: 38 Years Old

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 11Here's the 11th episode of my podcast, Toronto Mike'd. In this episode, Rosie and I chat about me getting carded and the media frenzy around Sandy before welcoming Andrew Stoakley, former CFNYer and the guy who makes the Blue Jays audible. This episode is exactly 37:05.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

As always, I'm eager to read your feedback, good or bad. Please let me know in the comments what you thought and any topic ideas you have.

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at https://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

headsup

A great show! An interesting guest, good stories, good chemestry among all involved... It seems like you are really hitting your stride. I found this episode particularly captures the spirit of the blog in audio form. Keep it up!

October 31, 2012 @ 3:37 AM

Lyle Lanley

I agree with headsup.

You've hit your stride. Listen to episode one and then come back to this one. You're much stronger and confident.

Excellent job!

October 31, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

Declan

Men hate being carded and women love it. That's so true.

October 31, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

Matt

Good episode. I didn't care much for all the tv production talk but it still kept my interest.

While listening and reading your twitter feed at the side I gotta say Biggs and Barr are right. I'm disappointed people are jumping all over Bozak. It was a halloween costume. A TRIBUTE to Michael Jackson. Nothing wrong with it.

I also read the subbanator thread with great interest. One of your comments Mike absolutely stinks of hypocrisy

>>>Toronto Mike
March 13, 2010 / 10:42

@Tee

The Eddie Murphy clip was very funny.

These Subbanator fans are not. These Subbanator fans are very offensive.

A black person painting their face white is not a kin to a white person painting their face black. I'm sorry...

This is something I have an issue with. If it truly is racist, than it should be considered racist period. I'm having a hard time understanding how you can say there is a difference between the two.

If something is "racist" or "wrong" Than it should be considered as such regardless of who is doing it.

October 31, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

Matt

For me there is no difference between what; Bozak, the Subbanator fans, Raffi Torres and Eddie Murphy did.

October 31, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

@Matt

Biggs and Barr prompted my response because they dragged Jesus into it. That offended me as an atheist who thinks a white man wearing black face is racist. Bozak really should have known better.

By the way, I respect your opinion on this. I just disagree with you. I wish white people would stop wearing blackface.

October 31, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

Matt

>>By the way, I still believe it's okay for a black person to wear white face. It's not hypocrisy, it's a completely different context.

That is what I really disagree with. That said you mention "context" which is what people need to look at here. It was a halloween costume, a tribute to Michael Jackson. It's not like Bozak is promoting the KKK or being John Rocker 2.0 on a subway.

For me what happened to Wayne Simmonds both in London and more recently in the Czech Republic is much worse because it is actually racism.

I will concede (though I do not agree) that Bozak should've been weary because of the backlash Torres recieved last year for dressing as Jay-Z.

October 31, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

@Matt

No doubt, throwing a banana at Wayne Simmonds is worse for the reasons you mentioned. But the context I'm referring to is historical context. All-too-recent history, if you ask me.

Bozak may have wanted to pay tribute to Michael Jackson by dressing as him for Halloween, but the moment he put on blackface, he conjured up an ugly, racist history. That history is only brought forward when a white person dons blackface, which is why I'm okay with a black person wearing whiteface.

October 31, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

Matt

Yes it was used in some appalling ways in the past.

As a society though we have moved past that imo. The context in which it is used today is not the same. I'm well aware of it's ugly past, but the past is the past and like I said before I truly believe none of the above mentioned had racist intentions.

I get what you are saying, it looks like we'll have to agree to disagree. However I still think there is a big difference between the way Torres, Bozak etc used it vs how it has been used in history.

October 31, 2012 @ 1:16 PM