The Adam Sandler Matrix

The Adam Sandler MatrixThe kids and I just watched The Waterboy. It's as bad as I remember it, but they thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Waterboy came out in 1998 and was the first in a long string of unfunny Adam Sandler movies. Some will argue that Adam Sandler movies have never been funny, but I distinctly remember laughing out loud several times during Billy Madison. Happy GIlmore wasn't too shabby, either.

So what happened to Adam Sandler? I wouldn't dare watch his recent movies like That's My Boy, Jack and Jill or I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry. I accidentally stumbled across You Don't Mess with the Zohan and I'm still trying to delete the memories from my psyche. That was one unfunny comedy.

I want to know which Adam Sandler movies you've enjoyed. I've enjoyed Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, The Wedding Singer, Punch-Drunk Love and didn't hate Mr. Deed. Here's a matrix to help you.

sandler

Irvine

Its called being in dimensional

October 21, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

Irvine

one dimensional

October 21, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

Alex

I thought You Don't Mess With the Zohan was pretty funny.

October 21, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

joel

His last movie That's my boy is great.

October 21, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

Roshan

Airheads, Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, You Don't Mess With The Zohan, Little Nicky,The Wedding Singer, I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry & Click. Grown Ups was ok.

October 21, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Not that Rotten Tomatoes is the best gauge as to whether a film is good or not, it's not a bad way to measure whether one should waste 90 minutes on a movie or not.

Here are the Rotten Tomatoes scores for Adam Sandler movies:

1995 45% Billy Madison
1994 22% Airheads
1994 7% Mixed Nuts
1993 36% Coneheads
1992 37% Shakes the Clown

October 21, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

Further research conforms that Adam Sandler movies can be good, or successful, but never both.

October 21, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

joel

If you are willing to look past the rotten tomatoes rating for that's my boy, its worth your time. It is a stupid, crude, adult comedy a la Billy Madison. For me it was the Sandler film I've been waiting for since Happy Gilmore.(It's not something you are going to want to watch with the kids)

October 21, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

Simon Tarses

I should give a flying frack about what a bunch of snobs care about a man who's work is no worse (and just as good) as that of Jerry Lewis's pictures? In twenty years, they'll be calling his stuff classic just like they do Lewis's movies (and previous to that, Martin & Lewis, Abbot & Costello, The Bowery Boys, The Three Stooges, The Marx Brothers, and everything else seen on TCM and Silver Screen Classics.) Screw the haters.

October 22, 2012 @ 2:26 AM

Doug

Do animated movies count? We watched Hotel Transylvania on the weekend and enjoyed it. I also liked Happy Gilmore, The Wedding Singer, 50 First Dates,Spanglish, Reign over Me and Funny People.

October 22, 2012 @ 7:58 AM

I've watched Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Little Nikki and Waterboy with the kids. The RT score doesn't scare me away when it comes to Adam Sandler, although I will resist the urge to see just how bad Jack and Jill actually is.

Relevant:

October 22, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Sandler is hit and miss for me although lately more of a miss. However, one of my favourites (along with the usual tha thave already been mentioned) is Funny People. I loved that movie.

May 23, 2014 @ 2:07 PM