Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 1: Yawning or Snarling

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 1Here's the very first episode of my new podcast, Toronto Mike'd. In this episode, Rosie and I chat about Twitter spoilers, the elderly and technology and what the podcast is and is not. This episode is exactly 35:09.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

As always, I'm very eager to read your feedback, good or bad. Please let me know in the comments what you thought, what you'd change for future episodes and any topic ideas you have.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

519 Rob

Mike,
Maybe when you post these in the future, you could put a note up as to how long the podcast is. Maybe that's just a small thing, but it'll help me decide when I'm going to listen.
I don't think you need to be specific to the second...just maybe an approxamation?

September 4, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

@519 Rob

Great suggestion. I'll do that from now on, and I've added the length to this entry.

It's 35:09.

September 4, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

Il Duce

@ T.O. Mike

Was this a dry run? If so, it was extremely DRY!!

September 4, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

519 Rob

Thanks Mike
Fits in almost perfect for my lunch break!
Is 1/2 hour (or so) generally what you are aiming for?

September 4, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

@519 Rob

Yes, exactly. I aim for 30 minutes on the nose.

@Il Duce

When I record episode 2 tonight, I'm exposing your double persona. The world will hear what you said about the podcast via email!

September 4, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

Sam from England

FYI, in google listen I'm getting a toronto mike'd logo so it looks like I've subscribed ok, but it says there's no episodes.

September 4, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

@Sam from England

Google Listen is still around? I thought I read they killed it...

Not sure why it's not picking up the one episode. I believe my XML is good... and I see it in iTunes...

Let me look into it. Thanks for letting me know!

September 4, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

matt

Overall I liked it.

My only suggestion would be don't re-cap previous blogs (olympics bid, spoilers etc)

September 4, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

Blind Dave

Ok, here are some bullet thoughts:

- Keep Rosie. She's a babe, and a delight to listen to. The on-air experience is obvious.

- Mike's voice is pleasant and fun, and he and Rosie are a good one-two combo.

- The intro/outro music made my back teeth hurt, as I thoroughly dislike the rap and hip hop genre.

- Matt made a great comment about not recapping old news. The weekday blog is always fresh and the Open Mike weekend will round out the conversation pieces for the week.

- While I understand the podcast is Toronto oriented, the blog itself contains informative, overall current events. Don't be afraid to branch out!

- I thought it might be a great idea to mention Cheryl's issuers with Grocery Gateway. But you might want to wait a few episodes till you generate more of a following. I am not as dependent on services for the disabled as Cheryl is, but I do appreciate the help on the occasions I've needed it.

- A fun podcast. Well done! I will definitely be a regular listener.

September 4, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

Rosie

@Blind Dave you are so sweet, thank you! now we just have to spice things up for Il Duce ;)

September 4, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

Blind Dave

@Rosie

Consider it a sincere compliment. You and Mike have a great rapport and the friendship comes through smoothly.

Keep the content going and you'll be on your way to a successful podcast.

September 4, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

dale

Good Luck - Rosie is awesome.

September 4, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

Rosie and I just finished recording episode #2.

I'll post it later this week.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback here and the emails.

September 4, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

Sammi

You sound exactly like I thought you would.

The music is just horrible, but also what I expected from Mike.

September 4, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

@Sammi

I hope iLLvibe haunts you in your dreams.

September 4, 2012 @ 8:37 PM

Rosie

@Blind Dave we mentioned you right off the top today! I think you will like the song Mike closes the show with much better :)
I wanted to share some pics we took in the studio today, check it out:

September 4, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

Blind Dave

@Rosie

Thanks. I'll look forward to the show and the closing tune. :)

Topic suggestion: (the music reminded me of this) Mike's song of the week and how he came up with the idea and how the weekly selections are made.

September 4, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Great Start, for the 2 Mike's and Rosie. You can tell Rosie has some improv experience, she kept it rolling nice and smooth.
Wixon is becoming the new Slaight music of Podcasts, give him a pat on the back for lending his expertise.
I don't think Rob Ford and politics should be off the table totally, but I'm a bit of a politics wonk, along Freddie P's line of thinking.
I know podcasts are kind of timeless allowing people to listen when ever, but talking about current events like the CNE, TIFF etc. would be neat, maybe post up what you maybe discussing and get some readers input, just like the Olympics opinions.
Now I just have to figure out how to organise your podcasts with H&F's, I am just over 50 and a bit technologically challenged with Ipods and Apple tech. Microsoft no problem.

September 4, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

Alex

This is really, really good.

More, please.

September 5, 2012 @ 7:57 AM

Corey

I listened, and thought it was very good, especially as a debut. No doubt this will get stronger and stronger. But despite that, I have to be honest, I doubt I'll be a regular listener. The reason is that I simply won't have time, and I'm wondering now if that's an inherent problem with podcasts. I don't know how anyone could regularly listen to multiple podcasts. Listening to them is not a passive experience like radio - if I get distracted while listening, by talking, or trying to read, then I'm forever rewinding to catch what was said. It's also a less social experience than a medium like television. You're much less likely to spend time with someone else (e.g.: spouse, kids) listening to a podcast than you would watching TV. I find the time to listen to the Humble and Fred podcast regularly because I take the GO train into the city every morning, which is the perfect opportunity to isolate myself and actively listen. After that window though, I'm done.
Anyway, good luck with it Mike!

September 5, 2012 @ 8:53 AM

@Corey

That's a great point. We only have so many focussed listening hours in our day.

I've thought about this podcast in terms of a commercial enterprise and decided the following:

1. It costs me about an hour a week - everything else already exists
2. It's fun - this is key - I've enjoyed recording the first two episodes
3. Right now, I have no sponsor, no obligation to deliver a certain number of listeners, and no interest in the stats - if 100 readers and my family and friends enjoy the podcast, it has a reason for being

#1 and #2 are key, and #3 might change, but for now that removes any expectations and ensures #2 continues.

Thanks for trying it out!

September 5, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

Blind Dave

Check out the link above from Rosie.

The pics are fun, and seeing the studio brings it all together. The messy table sent a shiver up my spine. If you ever want to drive an almost blind guy mental, that's a good way to do it!

September 5, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

Woodbridge East Phil

Congrats on your first podcast! I was milling about the last couple days since H&F started mentioning about it!

I'm not only saying that because Rosie has a radio crush on me. Seriously.

September 5, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

Douglas

I gave the podcast a listen yesterday while I was mucking about with other things on the computer. For a first run, you (all) did well. You and Rosie have a good chemistry going, one that will keep building. Mike can focus on keeping the topics/discussion interesting and Rosie can keep everything amazing. ;-) Good on ya.

September 5, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

Lorne

Just listened. Feedback:
1) It took 30 seconds for your voice to come on screen. I think you need to do a id bump right away. "From the Humble & Fred Studio, this is Toronto Mike." {music}. Even though I knew I was listening to your podcast, some part in the back of my mind kept thinking "Where's mike? Did I open the wrong 'cast? Should I stop?"

2) Not warming up to the theme, but that's personal preference. I already commented on it in an earlier post.

3) The podcast felt like a good test pilot episode. Your voices are good, rapport is there, technically sound...

4) ... but it left me wanting for some more content. I can't fault an intro episode, obviously. Though the conversation flowed, it didn't delve into too much (topic, depth, etc).

5) To elaborate on a comment above: it's good to mention some of the things that happened in the blog (for cross-pollination), but for sure you'll want some topics of discussion that weren't on the blog.

Pick something that you want to post/discuss, but that wouldn't be appropriate or suitable for a 250 word blog entry. Maybe something that's audio-based. Or something that you want a back-and-forth on.

Keep in mind your posts are either 1) telling your readers something or 2) a starting point for reader comments. Sure, you do comment back, but it isn't the same as a face-to-face discussion. It would be good to pick something that Rosie (or any other guest) has more knowledge of that you, or a significantly different opinion than you.

Looking forward to episode 2.

September 5, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

Rosie

@Woodbridge East Phil this is how I was lured back for the second episode... promises of meeting Phil! All lies... there wasn't even a cardboard cutout.

@Douglas LOL you have discovered the drinking game hidden in every podcast! ;)

September 5, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

Anon&on

Listened today. Enjoyable start. Good chemistry. I don't mind references to the blog since I read the blog- makes me feel like I'm tuned in.

Am I the only one who found the volume low? I listen to a podcast list of 3-8 daily, rarely do I fiddle with volume between podcasts but I had to crank it up for Toronto Mike'd (which was right after the H&F podcast in my list). Even with the volume up, the intro/exit music sounded very low compared to the main content.

I like the theme music.

September 5, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

I seriously dig all this feedback. Please keep it coming.

I like the theme music, too.

September 5, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

Mikefan

What said it was the second podcast in iTunes turned out to be a rerun of the first.

September 6, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

@Mikefan

My bad. I've updated the XML, but it might take iTunes a little time to grab the new version.

I'll be posting the second episode in minutes...

September 6, 2012 @ 8:39 AM

Roshan

Listening to this as I recover from a bad cold, fever, cough and sore throat. Enjoyed it a lot. Wixon's old man voice cracked me up.

September 6, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

Woodbridge East Phil

@Rosie Gosh they'd need a lot of cardboard to have something made out of me. But considering I'm up at 4 am in the morning to get down from this stuffy suburb, you just have to be in the studio a bit earlier... ;)

We get a lot of feedback at Humble & Fred talking about how the podcast is around the same time as their commute, and if you guys keep at the same time as episode #1... it fits my commute for sure!

September 7, 2012 @ 11:40 PM