Never a Dull Moment: A Week in Toronto News

A Week in Toronto NewsToronto is a big city, but this past week we've had more than our fair share of news that transcends our borders. Many of us are wondering "what's next?".

Luka Rocco Magnotta
The MSM learned the name Luka Rocca Magnotta on May 30 when the Torontonian was identified as the suspect in the murder of Lin Jun. Yes, the murder took place in Montreal, but this story had a strong Toronto slant because he was born and raised here. I wrote about him, and I'm pretty sure he was reading and left a comment. More on that in the comments here. I'm glad he's now behind bars in Berlin.

Union Station Flooding
Nobody got hurt, but it was pretty big news in this city and the pictures were popular outside Canada. Here are some Photoshopped images from June 1.

Janitor Tries to Blow Up St. Joseph’s College
This story got lost in the shuffle, but it's pretty chilling. A janitor at St. Joseph’s College, an all-girls Catholic high school, cut the school's main gas line with the intention of blowing it up. Thankfully, his plan failed.

Eaton Centre Shooting
On Saturday, an argument made its way to a very busy food court in the Eaton Centre where Ahmed Hassan was gunned down. Seven others ended up in hospital as a result of this altercation. The suspect has turned himself in and the Eaton Centre is open for business once more.

I think that covers the more sensational stories from this city over the past week. It's enough to make me long for the days when we had nothing better to discuss than what to call Gay-Straight Alliances in schools.

Andrew

Hmm... guess the move out to the Niagara region wasn't such a bad idea in hindsight.

Don't miss the city one bit.

Cheers,
Andrew

June 4, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

519 Rob

Wow...what a week.
As much as the other 3 stories are tragic, I am fascinated by the Luka story. What a crazy tale that has become. I feel a lot better knowing he is in jail in Berlin right now.

June 4, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

Justin

Fair share of news? How about our fair share of "bad" news. Not a banner week for this fine city.

June 4, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

twins from bolton

I was born & raised in Toronto & still consider it my home.

However, the best thing I ever did in my life was move to Bolton with 8 year old twins as our family couldn't take it anymore. We lived in a great neighborhood with people with kids also but the problems got closer & closer to our vicinity.

Toronto is still a "somewhat safe" place to live considering other large cities (especially the US) but I will NEVER move back there. I live in Caledon now 1 of the safest areas in Canada with crime overall.

Another summer of the gun?? Sure looks like it.

June 4, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@twins from bolton, x2. Moved out from Scarborough to Oakville. Still consider Toronto home but like looking from the outside in now.

June 4, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

Jacob

@Rick C

Yup. Oakville's safe. Drug deal gone wrong ending with a guy stabbed to death in the middle on Kerr Street. Some middle-aged businessman going nuts and killing his estranged wife, and mother of two kids. And just in the last year!

I lived there for nearly 30 years. There's more going on there than you know.

June 4, 2012 @ 10:48 PM

Ryan G

Not drinking the kool-aid gents.

I suppose I need to go out and buy a lottery ticket, because my luck avoiding trouble living in Toronto since the time I was born, has been simply incredible.

My folks arrived here as immigrants with blue-collar roots, hailing from the hard-as-nails streets of Belfast.

Having zero money, they first lived in a not so great Toronto neighbourhood. A few years later we then moved to another area also not known for it's wealth. In both cases, no real problems.

When I started university, I moved to the downtown core, and remain to this day.

That was nearly 20 years ago, and I never have encountered a single seriously dangerous situation with gangs or guns or thugs or thieves.

Sure, nothing's perfect, but in my experience, the advantages of being in the heart of the city far outweigh the disadvantages, of which I can name many.

Don't believe the hype fellas.

This is a fabulous town. Don't let a few bad apples trick you into thinking otherwise.

June 5, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

Jamie

@Mike.. Which comment/user name do you believe Luka left?

June 5, 2012 @ 7:57 AM

@Jamie

The one from "Canadian Dude".

June 5, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

Corey

@Jacob - there's more going on in any community then most people know. Still, for a town with a population of around 200k, the 2 incidences you mentioned hardly makes Oakville unsafe.

Putting this whole thing in perspective, I visited Baltimore last fall for a couple days. Stuck mainly to the Inner Harbor area, and never felt unsafe, even at night, but this was only a weekend visit. Baltimore's population is almost identical to Toronto's, but there was 198 homicides there in 2011. 92 homicides this year alone, compared to Toronto's 21.

June 5, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

I certainly have no plans to move out of Toronto, nor do I have any concerns about raising my kids here.

June 5, 2012 @ 11:17 AM