Jack Layton, Dead at 61

In MemoriumJack Layton was 61. He was the New Democratic Party leader who led his party to Official Opposition status in this year’s federal election.

layton

Cambo

Very sad news. You may or may not have liked his views but he was a great politician.

I suspect the reason they never said what he had back in July is because he really wasn't expected to survive this time.

August 22, 2011 @ 10:06 AM

Rob

Very sad news. Although I did not (nor would I ever) vote NDP, I was always impressed by Mr Layton. He always seemed like (very cliche here) a man of the people.
And as you read and listen to the out pouring of support, it is hard not to believe that to be true.
My lasting memory of Mr Layton will be seeing him on TV, during the Men' gold medal hockey game. He must have picked the best seat in the house at Gretzkys, cause ever time they showed the bar, there he was, cheering away wildly.
He always seemed to be smiling and cheering, no matter the event or cause. Canada was a better country today for knowing and having him.
I think I'll go listen to The Hip's song, 'Heaven is a better place today'.
RIP Jack

August 22, 2011 @ 10:12 AM

David

My condolences to his family.

I, too, had an uneasy feeling about this, having lost my own loved ones to variations of this awful disease. Mr. Layton was a shadow of himself during his last public appearance. While the progression was shockingly quick and sad, I hope the bright side is that there was little or no suffering.

RIP.

August 22, 2011 @ 10:50 AM

Mike from Lowville

Wow. There was so much to do, now, no more time. Another case of only the good die young. Condolences to all family, friends and supporters of Jack. Given the chance, he may have made Canada's greatest Prime Minister. Truly "a man of the people" and not a man of the big corporations like we've had oh so many years.
I don't like Mondays.

R.I.P. Mr. Layton, you will be missed.

August 22, 2011 @ 11:16 AM

This is so tragic. I've known for some time now that Jack was on his deathbed, but in respect for his privacy I merely sent this "think of Jack" tweet: http://twitter.com/#!/torontomike/status/101111725373390849

Let's not forget Jack's time on Toronto's city council where he served us well for many, many years. Fuck cancer.

August 22, 2011 @ 11:28 AM

Wandering Penguin

Shocking, tragic, the worst news imaginable at the worst possible time. A majority Conservative government and an opposition in mourning without their leader. A very black day for Canada indeed.

August 22, 2011 @ 12:17 PM

SoSad

Democracy originally meant for the people, by the people, of the people until it got hijacked by the corporations disguised as Liberals & Conservatives.

Jack was a true man of the people. It was too bad that his party was stigmatized in a bad way by the press, the same ones that are flocking to cover his passing.

I, for one, would of liked to have see Jack as PM. He would of taken this country in the direction that it needs to go, not the status quo that is happening now. Harper is being controlled by the corps, its that simple.

& for all the hard work & hours of his time, to bring this party to where it is only not to be able to get the chance to see it through, just makes it sad for Jack.

& when a TRUE LEADER falls, it is hard for that party to rise up. The NDP are done cause it was Jack's face, Jack's charisma, Jack's determination to protect all Canadians & now he is no longer with us, its hard to see who will continue his legacy. Definitely not Turmel, the female version of Stephane Dion.

Jack will always be the one who looked out for us all.

August 22, 2011 @ 1:29 PM

Gail

I am saddened beyond words. I am not one for politics, but Mr. Layton had a carisma about him that made listening to him believeable and that is one thing Canadians needed to help restore our faith in our Canada.
Ms. Chow, my heart goes out to you so much right now. I would have loved to call Mr. Layton, Prime Minister Layton and you, the first lady of Canada. I am truly saddened, and will keep you both in my prayers.

August 22, 2011 @ 9:12 PM