Audio of Team 990 in Montreal Discussing My Blog

RadioGame Points with Matthew Ross is a sports radio show that airs on The Team 990 in Montreal. Minutes ago they spent an entire segment discussing my Subbanator Habs Fans Find New Way to Offend entry from Friday afternoon.

I wasn't just listening, I was recording the web stream with Audacity so I could share all 11:30 with you. Here's Metric Julie talking about Toronto Mike on Game Points.

I'm glad they laughed off this Leafs conspiracy angle that's gaining steam. This topic runs a little deeper than your run of the mill team rivalry.

Great job, Metric Julie!

metricjulie

Thanks for listening & posting the audio, Mike!

Big thanks, especially, for writing about it and generating so much interest/outrage on the issue!

March 14, 2010 @ 8:25 PM

In terms of where 150 comments ranks in the grand scheme of things - it happens about once every quarter. In November, for example, an entry about a local country station changing formats resulted in over 400 comments.

March 14, 2010 @ 8:29 PM

metricjulie

By the way, we just got a caller who is black and felt very offended by the blackface incident and explained why this is precisely why he hates the Montreal Canadiens with a passion - because of the ignorance of the team's fans. He mentioned the incident involving Kevin Weekes a few years ago (when someone threw a banana on the ice).

It was a very interesting take on the issue.

March 14, 2010 @ 8:40 PM

Junior

I don't want to sidetrack the discussion, but I don't think it's right to say that the RDS director's error is "worse" than the lack of judgement displayed by the two guys in blackface. This objectionable behaviour begins with those two fellows; any other error that is committed thereafter simply follows on from that.

I didn't see the segment from the game where these two were shown, so I don't know whether there was any discussion by the broadcast crew as to the offensive nature of this behaviour. I think there's an argument to be made that RDS may have a responsibility to show them, from a journalistic point of view, but I would hope that any such depiction would be accompanied by a discussion of the reasons this is not acceptable.

Anyway, my point is that it would be wrong to focus on the role of RDS - what happened can't be considered in isolation from the behaviour of the two individuals concerned.

March 14, 2010 @ 9:47 PM

Another Mtl fan

Spanking these these guys for what they did is a good thing. Team 990 guys had it right: some people in Quebec need a history lesson. Team 990 also recalled the Conan O'Brien incident in Quebec City as a comparison to make people understand the hurt. They show better judgment than you, Toronto Mike.
Bashing all Habs fans and RDS for it is outward cheap. The fact that you highlight metricjulie's opinion, who shouts guilt and contrition supposedly on behalf of all Habs' fans, points to your true intentions. You don't really give a damn about P.K. Subban. You just want to instrumentalize this incident and metricjulie to give a « holier-than-thou » show, in order to bash people in Montreal and Habs fans.
Please note that I say this to you alone, Toronto Mike, and not to all Leafs fans.

March 15, 2010 @ 12:17 AM

Maladi

Just love the faux outrage and self righteous denouncement of a couple of goofy guys who are clearly supporting Subban. I'm sure if they had of truly offended any brothers or sisters at the Bell Centre- and theirs are the only opinions I'd take seriously in this matter- they'd have heard about it.

So yeah Mike, go ahead and express your manufactured outrage because nothing's more outrageous than manufactured outrage. But then we all know that it has nothing to do with the act itself but with the actors being Hab fans, don't we?

If I'm wrong, then please point me to any of your previous entries where you've become outraged over racial injustice- because god knows there's more than enough REAL examples out there. Relate to us your stories of hangin' with the peeps in Regent Park or Jane-Finch. I'm certain that a person such as yourself, one who becomes so offended on behalf of others, would have plenty of examples.

Come on Mike! Show us that this isn't just another disgruntled leaf fan making a big deal over nothing because it involves the Habs.

Looking forward to reading your previous impassioned scribblings on behalf of the downtrodden!

March 15, 2010 @ 1:26 AM

@Maladi

I can throw you several examples.

My favourite, however, is this inclusion in a textbook entitled " Perspectives on Ideology".

March 15, 2010 @ 10:53 AM