Punkorama Cancelled on Edge 102.1

radioI remember listening to Punkorama on Edge 102.1 back in the day when it was hosted by George Stroumboulopoulos. The hard aggressive sounds of Punkorama will no longer be heard each Tuesday night on CFNY as the last episode of Punkorama aired two nights ago.

punkorama

Here's the playlist from the last show.

FACE TO FACE – It’s Not Over
SOCIAL DISTORTION – I Was Wrong
THE RIOT BEFORE – We Are Wild Stallions
GASLIGHT ANTHEM – Angry Johnny And The Radio
THE REPLACEMENTS - Unsatisfied

RIP Punkorama

Carrie

Can't wait to see what they replace it with. [/sarcasm]

January 28, 2010 @ 9:40 AM

Brent

oh good. more room for default, nickelback and all of the other garbage that the edge pretends to hate but plays anyway.

January 28, 2010 @ 9:47 AM

James Edgar

I'm not listening much at all occasionally in the car is about it. I loved Punkorama when Strombo hosted. Another nail in the coffin of CFNY. Bookies new music show is gone too I heard him say last night.

January 28, 2010 @ 9:51 AM

If anyone's interested in reading about the fall of this mighty station as recorded in real-time, along with some glances back at the Spirit days, I urge you to visit http://www.torontomike.com/cfny_edge_102/ and work backwards.

January 28, 2010 @ 9:53 AM

James Edgar

The Indie hour. The was bookies show.I think last night was the last.

January 28, 2010 @ 9:56 AM

Carrie

James - really? That's truly a shame. Bookie's one of the only guys left that knows what he's doing over there. I sure hope they're not phasing him out too.

Anyone want to put odds on The Ongoing History of New Music?

January 28, 2010 @ 10:35 AM

Pauly Walnuts

Another nail in the coffin.

January 28, 2010 @ 10:43 AM

Programmer

It's 2010: there's no reason why a commercial radio station would deviate from its regular music playlist. Chances are, actual listeners aren't complaining.

January 28, 2010 @ 10:56 AM

Steve

So is there any reason to listen to this station anymore? I usually avoid it like the plague most of the time now, but I always kind of respected that now and then they were still trying to do something a little different. I hadn't listened to Punkorama in quite a while (no fault of anything the show had been doing or had become), but it's a shame it's gone.

Shame it's gone...I guess that can also be said about the fun in radio too.

January 28, 2010 @ 10:59 AM

@Programmer

You're right. Punkorama and the Indie spotlight shows are the two "fringe" offerings that deviate from their new "top 40 with grunge" playlist.

By trimming the fringe, their core won't complain one iota.

January 28, 2010 @ 11:00 AM

McNulty

"Another nail in the coffin"?

How many nails do they get? The old station is dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead.

It has been dead for a long time.

January 28, 2010 @ 11:04 AM

Hector

I'm sorry.....but who or what is Edge 102?

January 28, 2010 @ 11:45 AM

Programmer

Streaming all the punk rock you want.

January 28, 2010 @ 12:42 PM

London

They might as well start Voice tracking their evenings like they do it on FM96 here in London. Just another day at Cour$

January 28, 2010 @ 12:46 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Also probably the last time we will hear The Replacements, Iggy and the Stooges, Social Distortion, Husker Du, or NOFX on the damn station as well...Congrats 102.1 you have become the station in Buffalo I would never listen to, 103.3 coorporate American "Alterna" Rock has invaded 102.1 full time.

January 28, 2010 @ 1:02 PM

jason | getyouroj.com

Titus Andronicus on The Edge? That's actually impressive.

That said, I'm surprised the program lasted this long.

The Edge... is NOT impressive.

January 28, 2010 @ 2:13 PM

papa_rocker

Although I haven't listened to the station that much for the past five years, I still have a HUGE soft spot for it - moving to the area in '86 and it was always my station. Too bad the playlist/rotation frequency blows. Once in a while I put it on just for old times sake, but then I hear ANOTHER Three Days Grace/Billy Talent/some-other-overplayed-band and I turn it off....but I still have a soft spot for it.

January 28, 2010 @ 2:25 PM

Hector

How is Alan Cross feeling these days?

January 28, 2010 @ 2:59 PM

James

The 80s were a bit before my time - so my favourite time listening to the Edge was around 1999/2000. I loved listening to their top 1002 of all time countdown around Xmas 99. That actually introduced me to a lot of cool music.

Can you imagine 102.1 introducing people to cool, little known music these days? That's what the internet does now.

January 28, 2010 @ 4:04 PM

The New Enemy

As a totally unknown band, we walked in to the street front studios and handed Barry Taylor a copy of our first EP and he played us 3-4 hours later. They continued to support us by regularly playing our music, as well as bringing us in for an interview on air and playing tracks off our new EP just a few months ago. Almost all the bands on there were on a label except for ourselves.

Barry Taylor, JD and Punkorama - thank you for your support of our band over the last couple of years. It was huge for us.

...and the downward spiral of The Edge continues.

Declan
TNE

January 28, 2010 @ 4:38 PM

Satya

I stopped listening to that and all Corus stations on July 7. Sorry to hear about Punkorama and Indie Hour/Bookie. Hopefully the folks involved are onwards and upwards from that place. I'm not surprised to hear fm96 in London is getting worse as well.

January 28, 2010 @ 5:39 PM

Carrie

So what is everyone listening to now? I mean, I have the iPod and of course streaming stations online. But if you just want to flip on the radio and hear real people and decent music, where are you setting the dial?

The new Boom is okay, but I can only listen to it in short bursts.

January 31, 2010 @ 12:25 AM

Carrie, that's the big question. Now that my favourite radio station is floundering, where do I go in my car?

I have a circuit of sorts. Some Boom - I like a lot of their morning show and the transition to Maie Pauts, even though they're clearly targeting women. I'll do a little 102, but only for tunes and much less than any other point in my life. I also do a little Fan 590, b/c I'm a sports nut.

But it's tough out there.

January 31, 2010 @ 10:51 AM

Stephen from Kitchener

TOP 40 WITH GRUNGE. I'll never forget this horrible term.
This station loses a little bit of its old self every day. Mark my words, Bookie is next on the chopping block. One of the last old roots there, they will replace him with someone younger who will be a good little -itch and just do what he is told - don't talk about the music and just play it. Also, make sure to play those ads! Another Fearless Fred on its way -_-.

January 31, 2010 @ 3:47 PM

Reader Ryan wrote Ross Winters and asked why CFNY just cancelled the two best shows they had left.

Here's what Ross Winters wrote in reply.

Hey Ryan, thanks for your email. Those two shows in particular had been on the edge for a long time. All shows have a shelf life, and unfortunately the ratings were too low to continue broadcasting new episodes. We have and continue to support indie acts through airplay, as well as some on-line initiatives such as Indie On-line.

Regards