Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist Reviewed

Movie ReviewNick and Norah's Infinite Playlist: 6 out of 10.

I love this Michael Cera kid. "The Berenstain Bears", "Arrested Development", "Superbad", "Juno" and the guy's from Brampton. His presence alone gets this flick an extra point or two.

The soundtrack is better than the movie, although the movie doesn't suck. I guess I thought it would be better. Then again, I doubt this movie was made for 35-year old dudes like me.

But Michael Cera... I cannot wait until Arrested Development: The Movie.

nickandnorah-poster1

The_Voice

You didn't think that the editing was WAY off in this film, and the postproduction audio dubs were added because otherwise some of the transitions wouldn't make any sense?

August 12, 2009 @ 11:05 AM

Argie

Cera plays the same character in very film.

We get it, you can play the wimpy loveable jewish hero. Move on!

August 12, 2009 @ 11:47 AM

Anonymous

But he's not jewish, Argie.

August 12, 2009 @ 2:14 PM

Argie

Wow, you're right Anon. My bad. I could have sworn he was.

My apologies to him.

August 12, 2009 @ 2:30 PM

Toronto Mike

Hate comments will not be tolerated. Argie, you're on notice!

August 12, 2009 @ 2:44 PM

Argie

mike - Are you serious?

I was apologizing to Cera. How is that 'hate'?

August 12, 2009 @ 3:15 PM

Mississauga Mike

Yeah gonna have to agree, Michael Cera has played the same character in his most popular movies unfortunately. Being a big fan of Arrested Development I hope he does well, but... not a fan currently.

August 12, 2009 @ 3:19 PM

Argie

TO Mike - After all the stuff/hate I've seen on your blog directed at Catholics, you claim you won't tolerate 'hate'???

Thanks for proving my point that its OK to insult Catholics but God forbid if one the precious, protected (and heavy lobbied) groups are disparaged or in my case perceived to be disparaged.

Hate is hate, Mike. Try to be consistent and not cowardly!

August 12, 2009 @ 3:45 PM

Toronto Mike

I thought you were allowed to hate if you're in the club. Didn't Watley convert for the jokes?

I interpreted your comment like this...

Cera is Jewish.

Cera is not Jewish.

Apology to Cera for insinuating he was Jewish.

Being Jewish is a negative.

Am I wrong?

August 12, 2009 @ 4:21 PM

Dizzy

Argie's right about Cera - he's the same guy in every movie. He's just like Seth Rogen and Judah Hill or whatever that guy's name is. There's no depth in those three guys.

August 12, 2009 @ 7:38 PM

brad

argie, toronto mike, kiss and make up

August 12, 2009 @ 9:06 PM

Argie

Mike - You missed my point. I don't care if cera is Jewish or not.

Its OK, go on allowing others to insult Catholics, we can take it. I just wish the other 'groups' could handle it.

August 12, 2009 @ 9:11 PM

Toronto Mike

Argie, I wouldn't say I insult Catholics. I do question many aspects of Catholicism, and only because I was raised Catholic and I'm writing about my internal struggles with my religion.

There's nothing wrong with being Catholic or Jewish or an Atheist or Muslim.

Many of my closest loved ones are Catholic. Including my Argie.

August 12, 2009 @ 9:17 PM

Ajax Mike

This movie poster has one of my pet peeves in plain display. Why is Michael Cera's name over Kat Dennings and vice versa? I understand that sometimes people get top billing vs. 2nd billing, but if that's the case why not just reverse the photo? Or maybe I'm just anal-retentive...

August 12, 2009 @ 9:30 PM

Argie

Mike - I didn't say you insulted RCs. I said you 'allowed' others to do so.

You deny that.

August 12, 2009 @ 9:33 PM

Toronto Mike

I guess we'd have to define "insult". I'm anti-hate, but not against questioning religion.

August 12, 2009 @ 9:35 PM

Toronto Mike

And Ajax Mike, you're just anal-retentive. :-)

August 12, 2009 @ 9:37 PM

Peter

Michael Cera is jewish, there is nothing wrong with it :).

November 23, 2009 @ 4:53 PM

Dave

Michael Cera is not Jewish. Jonah Hill said so in an interview (Cera's father is Sicilian, his mother evidently a non-Jewish Canadian).

Now, there's nothing wrong with being Jewish. However, there's an extra significance to the fact that Cera is not Jewish. That first poster who brought up the Jew thing tied his alleged Jewishness to him being "wimpy loveable", something that morons (Jewish and non-Jewish alike) often do. The fact that he isn't severs that connection (nor were any of his characters explicitly Jewish, btw, except maybe the young Chuck Barris in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind).

November 29, 2009 @ 5:52 PM

Noddy

Jews. The World's biggest shit stirrers.

December 20, 2010 @ 4:04 PM

frrq

Logan Lerman is 100% Jewish.

February 16, 2011 @ 9:41 PM

Dee

For future reference:
Actors of fully Jewish background: -Logan Lerman, Natalie Portman, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Mila Kunis, Bar Refaeli, James Wolk, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Julian Morris, Adam Brody, Esti Ginzburg, Kat Dennings, Gabriel Macht, Erin Heatherton, Odeya Rush, Anton Yelchin, Paul Rudd, Scott Mechlowicz, Lisa Kudrow, Lizzy Caplan, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Gal Gadot, Debra Messing, Robert Kazinsky, Melanie Laurent, Shiri Appleby, Justin Bartha, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Margarita Levieva, Elizabeth Berkley, Halston Sage, Seth Gabel, Mia Kirshner, Alden Ehrenreich, Eric Balfour, Jason Isaacs, Jon Bernthal.

Actors with Jewish mothers and non-Jewish fathers -Jake Gyllenhaal, Dave Franco, James Franco, Scarlett Johansson, Daniel Day-Lewis, Daniel Radcliffe, Alison Brie, Eva Green, Emmy Rossum, Rashida Jones, Jennifer Connelly, Nora Arnezeder, Goldie Hawn, Ginnifer Goodwin, Amanda Peet, Eric Dane, Jeremy Jordan, Joel Kinnaman, Ben Barnes, Patricia Arquette, Kyra Sedgwick, Dave Annable.

Actors with Jewish fathers and non-Jewish mothers, who themselves were either raised as Jews and/or identify as Jews: -Andrew Garfield, Ezra Miller, Gwyneth Paltrow, Alexa Davalos, Nat Wolff, Nicola Peltz, James Maslow, Josh Bowman, Winona Ryder, Ben Foster, Nikki Reed, Zac Efron, Jonathan Keltz.

Oh, and Ansel Elgort’s father is Jewish, though I don’t know how Ansel was raised.

Actors with one Jewish-born parent and one parent who converted to Judaism -Dianna Agron, Sara Paxton (whose father converted, not her mother), Alicia Silverstone, Jamie-Lynn Sigler.

November 28, 2014 @ 3:07 PM