Garbage Strike, What To Do

cityhallI remember an episode of WKRP in Cincinnati where there was a garbage strike in Cincinnati during a hot summer and Dr. Johnny Fever told his listeners to take their garbage down to City Hall. We're being asked not to do that.

24,000 City of Toronto workers are now on strike, meaning garbage collection has stopped and daycare services have been shut down. I no longer require daycare services, but I do produce garbage. It's actually not the garbage I'm worried about, it's the green bin. That's where the stinky stuff goes, and our green bin is filled to the brim every week. The City of Toronto has drop-off locations if your green bin overfloweth. Here's what I extracted from toronto.ca.

Garbage drop-off locations

Transfer Stations
Two transfer stations will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to accept both residential and commercial garbage:

Bermondsey Transfer Station
188 Bermondsey Rd
(Eglinton Ave. E. & Victoria Park Ave. area)

Ingram Transfer Station
50 Ingram Dr
(Keele St. & Eglinton Ave. W. area)

• All residential waste will be accepted free of charge. All must be double-bagged.

• Yellow bag customers may deliver their waste to a transfer station free of charge and without use of yellow bags. Proof of registration in the yellow bag program is required.

• All other commercial waste must be weighed and will be subject to a $100 per tonne tip fee. All odorous commercial waste must be double bagged.

In addition, five transfer stations will be open 12 hours a day, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., seven days a week, to accept both residential and commercial garbage. Remember to double bag.

Disco Transfer Station
120 Disco Rd
(Dixon Rd. & Carlingview Dr area)

Dufferin Transfer Station
35 Vanley Cr
(Chesswood Dr & Sheppard Ave. W. area)

Victoria Park Transfer Station
3350 Victoria Park Ave
(Victoria Park Ave & Finch Ave. E. area)

Commissioners Street Transfer Station
400 Commissioners St
(Lake Shore Blvd. E. & Logan Ave area)

Scarborough Transfer Station
1 Transfer Pl
(Markham Rd & Sheppard Ave. E. area)

Additional residential drop-off locations will be announced should the labour disruption continue for more than five days.

I'm told by friends and family in Etobicoke that their garbage is contracted out so they'll get their garbage picked up. Maybe I'll just haul my bins over to my bro's!

Horonymous

You can bring your trash to my place in Mississauga. Only caveat it is $1 a container. The city requires tags over 2 bins.

June 22, 2009 @ 1:04 PM

Wayner

is that the episode where Johnny had a panic attack when he realized that people actually listened to him?

June 22, 2009 @ 3:12 PM

Toronto Mike

Yes, that's the one. And Bailey told him what he told her, talk like only one person is listening.

June 22, 2009 @ 3:15 PM

James Edgar

This time it's more the union than city hall that's at fault. I think anyway who knows if we are actually getting an acccurate picture from the media. So don't take your garbage to city hall ( Where the cops would arrest you anyway) take it to CUPE HQ. Maybe that will get them talking again.

June 22, 2009 @ 3:54 PM

elvis

Thank your Mayor again.

June 22, 2009 @ 6:47 PM

emily

who the fuck care about taking the garbages to city hall. police won't arrest you if there are a bunch of people walk over to city hall and dump there.

June 22, 2009 @ 7:55 PM

Mike from Lowville

James, I love how you fault the Unions on the first breath, then....on the second breath..."who knows if we are actually getting an acccurate picture from the media", lolly.....?? YA think?

June 22, 2009 @ 9:44 PM

Dizz

Wouldn't waste management be an essential service? I'm sure it's up there with transit.

Oh wait...it isn't, is it?

June 22, 2009 @ 9:51 PM

Annemarie

Yes, our's was picked up earlier. One of the reasons I'd like to stay in Etobicoke...

Essential services should not be allowed to strike.

June 22, 2009 @ 11:21 PM

James Edgar

I said I think it's more union than city hall but It does take 2 to tango and definetly it's not all union.I do think it's more union than city hall this time. but I'm not wiling to let Miller totally off the hook.

June 23, 2009 @ 6:48 AM

Argie

The unions and Miller are the on the same side in reality. He's trying to act tough with them but everyone knows he'll cave and in the end the fat lazy union members/slugs will get their way - they always do.

If I lived in Toronto I would be pissed as hell having to pay all those taxes and additional fees only to be living in a city surrounded by garbage and no services. This strike should convince the few remaining people who normally side with the unions to finally wake up and tell them where to go.

June 23, 2009 @ 8:59 AM

Mike from Lowville

Imagine, Argie using the words FAT, LAZY and SLUGS to describe Union members. Did you think those words up all by yourself or.... did you just look in the mirror?

June 23, 2009 @ 10:05 AM

Argie

Mike/Lowville: No, all I had to do was watch the news last night. That pretty much fits the description of about 90% of these wanks.

Despite being a white person, I must ask why are most of these members white? Is the union racist, Mikey?

June 23, 2009 @ 10:27 AM

A.R.

Why would anyone dump trash at city hall (namely the square in front of it)? That's public space; show some respect for our space. It would also seem to be an act of support for the union.

I only hope those scum who trash public space will be fined.

As for unions, the city must clash with them because their hard line tactics to get as much as they can from the city are detrimental.

June 23, 2009 @ 9:49 PM

Mike from Lowville

Yeah Argie, it figures you form your opinions based on what the mainstream media/news shows. They did a good job depicting FAT, LAZY, SLUGS. I also saw GREEDY and SELFISH portrayed also. Man, the media is so good showing all those descriptives.....give me a break!

June 24, 2009 @ 9:32 AM

Argie

Mike: Try to be objective and stop blaming the media. I'm referring to footage of union members blocking garbage dump sites - making citizens wait 15 minutes so they can give them their propaganda. The majority of the union members are white middle aged males who could stand to lose a few pounds - and perhaps mix in a haircut and shower.

June 24, 2009 @ 9:57 AM

Dan

The newspaper says that David Miller lives close to and passes High Park subway station every day on his way into work.

I would suggest leaving your garbage there at High Park subway station but at the Quebec Avenue entrance just north of Bloor Street West so you don't block the buses leaving from the High Park Avenue exit.

Please spread this around.

June 25, 2009 @ 11:44 AM

Russ

Just a thought ... If Toronto residents are really fed up being held hostage under mounds of garbage, why not simply dump your garbage off in front of those picket lines of striking civil servants? Similarly, why not dump your garbage off at municipal offices, police stations, the mayor's residence, the residence's of City councilors, etc.? Wouldn't that make cleanup easier once the strike is over? (Always think ahead).

If anything, once opposing sides in this dispute are directly exposed to the rotting refuse they so flagrantly inflict on local citizenry, the smell alone might help remind them of their commitment to the taxpayer.

Personally, and as a rural resident, I have no great love for the hopelessly gridlocked, multi-confused 'Big Smoke' or whatever misery its residents so willfully endure. It could be argued that the smell of rotting garbage is a noticable improvement. It's all part of the "Manhattanization" experiment you sewer rats were all so fond of.

July 1, 2009 @ 12:31 PM

forthepeople

drop ur garbage off at 110 laird street that's the 416 union office!

also tape garbage bags to city containers.

leave ur email for more details!

let's teach the union a lesson!

I'm these hard economic times u can fire anyone! lots of people need work!

so stop complaining - and do ur damn jobs'

July 4, 2009 @ 11:16 PM

forthepeople

cupe 49 - 34 st.patrick street

cupe/tceu -110 laird drive

drop ur trash there!!!!! now!!!!

July 4, 2009 @ 11:46 PM

Stephen

Miller is in this just for the money instead of working for the people of Toronto. Miller must go!! The students have lost wages; residents have been screwed; the city stinks; rodents are taking over and what is Miller doing? Nothing but collecting a big fat paycheck..Miller must go!!

July 6, 2009 @ 8:22 PM

Stephen

Suggestion to all:
As residents of the City of Toronto, lets fire all 24,000 City workers and hire a new company to haul all our garbage now and in the future. WTF do the current City workers need a deal for sick days? The rest of us not working with private companies in the City are contented with an occassional sick day whenever we are actually sick versus taking a prescribed number of days. The Unions are not realistically representing the workers since sick days for people who are not sick is a farce. Fire the Unions and fire David Miller.

July 6, 2009 @ 8:35 PM

HAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHA! ALL I CAN DO IS LAUGH...

WHY DO THEY WANT THESE SICK DAYS WHEN THEY ARE NOT SICK...I DONT THINK SO THESE ASSWIPES ARE NOT GETTING MY TAX MONEY TO PAD A REAL NICE RETIREMENT AND GET SICK DAYS WITHOUT BEING SICK.,..
HEY LET A FEW GUYS BASEBALL BAT YOUR KNEES THEN YOU WILL BE EARNING YOUR DAM SICK DAYS THAT YOU WANT SO BADLY...
YOU LAZY GOOD FOR NOTHING S.O.B.'S

GET YOUR ASS BACK TO WORK!

AND BE CONTENT MAKING 3 TIMES THE PAY OF AN AVERAGE PERSON IN THE CITY!!!

WITH FULL BENEFITS!!!