Goal Celebration Idea or What I'll Try Tonight

PuckI've got a hockey game tonight and I plan to score. Thanks to Alexander Ovechkin, I now know what I'm going to do after I pot my first of the night.

I'll call it "Too Hot to Handle" and it'll look a little something like this...

Buffalo Boy Mike

"Im sure Don Cherry will have a reaction to this"? Really? Cherry can react all he wants, Ovechkin is single handedly saving this league. The guy has the talent to back it up and I say good for him. I like it. Its all in good fun.

March 20, 2009 @ 5:21 PM

Toronto Mike

I'm torn on this subject.

On the one hand, a little swagger and theatrics can't hurt. It is, after all, entertainment, and scoring 50 isn't as easy as it used to be.

On the other hand, there's something about showboating that violates some code. You're showing up the other team, and Ovechkin should act like he's scored before and he'll score again.

Part of me likes this, and part of me hates it.

March 20, 2009 @ 5:25 PM

dale

I'm torn also, but Ovie is harmless as he loves the game so much & for his 50th why not? Alex is also a showman & puts people in the seats especially in cities where they wouldn't go to the
games other than to see Ovie.
Coaches Corner tomorrow is going to be fun, Grapes your time was due years ago - the GAME has changed.
If anyone can come close to challenging 99's feats it's Alex, playing on a team not as good as 99 when he set all records.

March 20, 2009 @ 6:20 PM

Alison

I think it's unsportsmanlike and if my kid behaved like that after a goal he'd be in a world of hurt on the car ride home after listening to my big lecture...

March 20, 2009 @ 7:59 PM

Sevon

Someone should have plowed him when he was doing this. It was in bad taste. It's showboating. You just don't do that.

March 20, 2009 @ 8:11 PM

dale

Showboating YEAH but he deserves it what he has done the last 3-4 years. It was his 50th goal AGAIN & he didn't showboat since Don Cheery PIT said what he said 2 weeks ago. Others have done the same after scoring less meaningful goals. What was with Mike Foligno's jump & 99's arm pump after EVERY goal.

March 20, 2009 @ 8:55 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

They all do it in Hockey, at least they let them...Look at football, especially college football where you could smile after a TD and get a flag thrown for being happy about the play.
Enjoy it, its a goal, and in hockey they are allowed to celebrate, sure its showboating but when youre that good, go for it. Miro Satan was a showboat but his act got old.

March 20, 2009 @ 11:10 PM

Sammi

....it would have been great to see someone plow him though.

March 21, 2009 @ 6:56 AM

James Edgar

I'm torn too. I think it is a little unsportsman like. But he is pretty harmless i thnk and you know he just loves playing so it's hard to get too excited. As for Cherry well he too loves the game and if he's a little cranky well old people get like that. In a few years he'll be gone amd we will be nostalgic for him .

March 21, 2009 @ 7:41 AM

LEW

1) make sure your name is facing the camera Mike
2) I love this guy - I saw him play in VCR two years ago and the building was electric - not since Orr has there been such a loveable star (yes Gretzky still sucks)
3) the celebrations are not aimed at the other team - it is celebrating - Leaf fans, try to remember back to Tiger - did you hated it then? Sorry, I was there and it was loved by the fans - and it was directed at the other team, which does lack class; if Alex wore the Leaf this would NOT be treated the same way as it is now by Cherry and his daft followers - he'd be kissing him wearing one of those silly Russian hats and Alex's All-Star sunglasses -
4) It's even sweeter watching him make an open ice hit - this guy is the real deal - enjoy him

March 21, 2009 @ 12:39 PM