Canada 5, Sweden 1

Canada HockeyCanada has its fifth World Junior Championship gold medal in a row. I love this tournament and have watched faithfully for as long as I can remember, but I don't recall a tournament as exciting as this one.

First there was that New Year's game against the USA. Down by three goals early, we stormed all the way back.

Then, there was that unbelievable semi-final game against Russia. With a mere 5.4 seconds on the clock, we were down by a goal. Somehow, against all odds, we came back and won in a shootout.

Can-a-da! Can-a-da! Can-a-da! Can-a-da! Can-a-da!

James Edgar

Man that swede goalie was a loon! Flopping around like a fish out of water as somebody on the radio said this morning. Great game better outcome! Even the wife got into it.

January 6, 2009 @ 10:02 AM

Argie

I’m happy that Canada won but do we really need this tournament every freaking year? It would seem more exciting and fresh if it were held say every 2 or 4 years.

How about having the juniors play in the Olympic games and then have a jr world championship in between? That way there would be a championship every 2 years.

January 6, 2009 @ 10:08 AM

Toronto Mike

If it's okay with Argie, I like having this tournament kick off every Boxing Day.

It's two weeks a year. It's hardly too much of a good thing.

January 6, 2009 @ 10:24 AM

James Edgar

I'm Okay with yearly as well. I like having this part of my Christmas/New Years experiance.

January 6, 2009 @ 10:27 AM

LEW

Yes Argie - it needs to be played every year. It is a great way to monitor the countries development, as Canada did in the early 90's.
It is a great tournament that I look forward to every year, because not only is is played over the holiday, it is in the middle of the long, drawn out regular season of the NHL, so its great to see players giving everything they have every game.
Finally, under the system you have, some players will not have the chance to be judged before the entry draft under these tense conditions, which can raise or drop a player stock.

January 6, 2009 @ 10:29 AM

Argie

Every year just seems so lame.

What made the 2002 Olympic gold special was that it was the first time in 50 years that we had won gold - 50 years I tell you!!

When we win 5 years in a row, it doesn’t mean a whole hell of a lot. At least to me anyway….

January 6, 2009 @ 10:49 AM

elvis

Any hockey tournament that occurs less times a year than our federal elections is good by me!

January 6, 2009 @ 2:18 PM

Big Oscar

It's traditional in a sense. I love the WJC and what it brings every Christmas time. I think this may have well been the most exciting one ever! The crowd was electric and really spurred our boys on to victory!

January 6, 2009 @ 2:29 PM

Alison

This year was awesome and having it here in my hometown was great! We took the kids to a couple of games and it was a tonne of fun. Minor hockey associations were given free tickets to some of the early games and it was a great opportunity for the kids to get out to an international game. Ottawa has a huge Minor Hockey tournament, the Bell Capital Cup , and the stands at the games were full of minor hockey teams in town for their own tourneay...what a great experience for the whole city and country!

January 6, 2009 @ 7:56 PM