Sundin Trashes Toronto: Toronto Mike Exclusive!

LeafsReports have GM Cliff Fletcher or Special Assistant to the GM Joe Nieuwendyk sitting down in L.A. to talk with Mats Sundin about his return to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

In a Toronto Mike exclusive, I wouldn't bet on Mats playing another game with the Leafs. Here's what I know...

VegasGeoff is a frequent commenter on this blog and he works at a coffee shop in Las Vegas. On the day of the Carlo Colaiacovo and Alex Steen trade for Lee Stempniak he left the following comment on my entry about that trade.

So, guess who I heard this news from this morning? Mats Sundin!

I work in a coffee shop down here in Vegas, and when I turned around to help a customer, I was shocked to see it was Mats himself. He's down here vacationing with his parents and wife, and was ordering coffee for them all. I told him I was a huge Leaf fan, originally from Toronto, and we chatted while his coffee was being made. He told me about the trade, made a comment about the team that I won't post here, and just chuckled when I asked him if we'd see him back this year. I told him I wasn't going to run and spill the beans to the Sun, but he wouldn't give up any info.

I pressed VegasGeoff to reveal the statement Mats Sundin made to him in the coffee shop that morning, and I can now divulge that information. Mats Sundin said "Toronto is going to shit, man."

MLSE can keep those Mats Sundin jerseys at their discounted price. #13 will not retire a Maple Leaf.

elvis

Amazing journalism! This is good stuff...probably a good thing too - glad we can both move on.

November 27, 2008 @ 2:07 PM

James Edgar

Mike I just posted about this "story" at Freddiep.com . Get ready for an avalance of nuttyness :)

November 27, 2008 @ 2:14 PM

Brad Swizter

Amazing journalism? okay Elvis Woodward.

November 27, 2008 @ 3:32 PM

organ

What full tilt penetrating yellow journalism............

November 27, 2008 @ 3:57 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

He might have meant the ENTIRE city thanks to Miller, Dolton and the great folks who run the TTC, not JUST the Leafs.

But I'm sure you fact checked..

November 27, 2008 @ 5:36 PM

Toronto Mike

This isn't the BBC. But hell, I've seen stories in the mainstream press based on no more than a quote from a single witness.

I have heard this from someone who heard it straight from Mats. That's enough for me (again, not with the BBC) to write about it on my personal blog.

November 27, 2008 @ 5:39 PM

Mississauga Mike

And now the power of viral marketing gets tested...

Here we... GO!

November 27, 2008 @ 5:46 PM

andrew

Bet any $ he will eventually sign with the Leafs. Heart over his Head.

November 27, 2008 @ 6:13 PM

Buffalo Sketchball

VegasGeoff = sketchy journalism....

Or the next news you hear is of Mats going back to Vegas and beating him up after he gets questioned about this statement... haha :P

November 27, 2008 @ 8:18 PM

Irvine

A guy working on a coffee shop IN VEGAS happens to meet Sundin who tells him Toronto is going to "shit". *LOL*

Keep this up Mike and you'll be working for CNN or FOX News !

November 27, 2008 @ 8:19 PM

Incredulous

I have a hard time believing any of this.

If anybody actually reads this blog, believes it, and then proceeds to spread its contents then god have mercy on their gullible soul.

November 28, 2008 @ 2:47 AM

James Edgar

See Nuttyness.

November 28, 2008 @ 6:36 AM

JimBob

A friends daughter, maybe 8 yrs old saw Mats skating at Lakeshore Arena, and got his autograph. She asked if he was coming back, and he gave her an outright "no" back last summer.

November 28, 2008 @ 10:19 AM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

Mike says: "But hell, I've seen stories in the mainstream press based on no more than a quote from a single witness."

And you wish to perpetuate this? Proof JOe Blow's Blog isn't the new media, at least in terms of reliability and fact checking.

Thanks for sharing the story, but that's all you can prove it is.

November 28, 2008 @ 10:23 AM

Toronto Mike

Jason, the story is exactly as I told it. I'm reporting the facts as I know them.

I didn't say Mats told me Toronto was going to shit, I told you all what transpired. I happen to believe VegasGeoff, because we've had enough email correspondence over the years for me trust he wouldn't make up this story.

I'm a Mats Sundin fan who has written several entries over the years defending him and labelling him "loyal" and "honourable". I'm not bashing him for shits and giggles, but this is an interesting story that you won't read in the Globe & Mail and certainly worthy of a blog entry.

November 28, 2008 @ 11:14 AM

Jack

What happen to your Standards?
This is Gibberish.

November 28, 2008 @ 12:59 PM

Rex

toronto(gullible)mike

November 28, 2008 @ 3:02 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

Given the fact Mats has not played a single game this season and refuses to do anything but hang out, I believe Mike and Geoff. He won't re-sign. Its too late - it was too late in September.

I'm with ya Mike.