Andy Barrie Takes Indefinite Leave from Radio

CBCI was listening to CBC RadioOne this morning when Andy Barrie told us at 8:27am that he had something personal to announce. He told us he was leaving the show indefinitely.

Immediately I suspected his health was the reason. Andy has been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. He quickly reassured us he was fine, but there were serious health issues in his family right now and he needed to leave his post in order to offer his full support there.

Andy has been host of CBC Radio 99.1's Metro Morning since 1995 and is one of the finest broadcasters working in this city. He'll be missed.

Elaine

I was just taking the dog out for a last AM walk, and I knew from the tone in his voice, it was the announcement I didn't want to hear. So we slammed the door out, NO. But here it is anyway. From his days on CJAD, I have listened for his voice in the AM; he has sent me off to school and work all these years. He provides that reassuring tenor to communicate wonder, frustration, bridled indignation and warm encouragement as his guests and topics warrant. And he has that poetic manner to turn a phrase around to examine itself. Oh Andy. When you can, come back soon.

November 6, 2008 @ 9:32 AM

elvis

Holy shit - fire up the Brampton blogging community - seems like a great gig for Freddie P!

November 7, 2008 @ 10:12 AM

Matthew

I hope that all is well with Andy. I do miss him on my morning wake-up. It amazes me how morning radio can set-up the type of day you are going to have.

November 17, 2008 @ 5:08 PM

Dan

This leave is painful. Wonder if this means Hawtin is going to be a permanent host? Hope not.

November 23, 2008 @ 9:28 PM

JLara

I vote for Kevin Sylvester for permanent host.I wouldn't miss Andy and his cough at all.He was only there part time at the best of times.Time to pack it in Andy.

November 23, 2008 @ 10:31 PM

Emmeline

Just back from vacation to find that Andy Barrie is no longer there in the mornings. It's a blow and I wish him all the very best! It would be make all the difference if Kevin Sylvester were to replace him - one of my favourite broadcasters!

November 24, 2008 @ 8:13 AM

lindapotelance

It was so interesting metro morning with Andy.
I can't beleive that he won't be at that show anymore
I do miss him on my morning wake up .
Such a sad thing to hear that he is sick

Is it possible to have news from him
is he very ill or can he actually live a good life .
He is not so old.
The health issue in his family is it Ok now

Rgds, Linda

December 2, 2008 @ 1:15 PM

Toronto Mike

Just to be clear, Andy said he wasn't leaving because of his illness but because of the illness of a loved one.

I hear his mother isn't doing well and he's with her now. He'll be back... I hope.

December 2, 2008 @ 1:35 PM

Jane Hallett

I don't miss Andy Barrie or his huge ego. I find Jane Hawtin very soothing and she must be tired of filling in for AB all the time and getting no credit. Only at the CBC could an employee get so much time off. I question whether Jane Hawtin would even want the job permanently.
Kevin Slyvester is so lame I doubt that he would be in the running as is Karen Horseman.
But anyone else would be better than ever hearing that ghastly Andy Barrie preaching the obvious.

December 5, 2008 @ 10:52 AM

Ruth

We have missed Andy as we always appreciated hearing him when we wake up. Didn't know he had Parkinson's. We wish him all the best and hope he will be back some time soon. Trust the family illness is improving, too.

December 10, 2008 @ 1:00 AM

Valerie

As much as Jane does a great job with Metro Morning, Andy had big shoes to fill and he is sadly missed. Mornings just aren't the same without him as a part of my wake-up call.

Hurry back Andy. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

December 12, 2008 @ 3:01 PM

Barb

Andy has been a constant in our lives for a very long time. We were out of the country for a year and didn't realize how much we'd missed our morning ritual until we arrived home again. Kevin would be the only worthy successor I've heard so far although Jane is doing a great job! Be well Andy!!

December 14, 2008 @ 8:08 PM

Michelle and Joseph

Joseph and I wish you and your family the very best. The early mornings will not be the same without your voice and comments.

Peace,
Michelle & Joseph

December 16, 2008 @ 10:18 AM

Rob Kerr

Andy is (obvious in reading these blogs) 'not for everyone' - alas, he is for me. (For me) he holds down an interview better than most; he is brighter than most; more acerbic than most. Knowledgeable, urbane.

Kevin is a nice guy all right; if you like Regis and Kelly, he may be your man.

December 18, 2008 @ 12:26 PM

MARK DOBSON

i LISTEN TO ANDY FROM TIME TO TIME FROM MANCHESTER,ENGLAND. TORONTO SHOULD BE PROUD TO HAVE SUCH A PROFESSIONAL, KINDLY SOUNDING GENTLEMAN ON ITS AIRWAVES. ALL THE BEST TO HIM AND HIS FAMILY

December 23, 2008 @ 2:26 PM

Kevin Ross

Andy Barrie... hurry back... 'nuff said... Merry Christmas to all...

December 24, 2008 @ 8:33 AM

Bryan

Best Wishes to Andy and his Family and for a speedy return to Metro Morning...

December 29, 2008 @ 11:07 AM

Jessica

I miss Andy, and while we all aren't perfect and it's easy to criticize, I would say he is the right fit for host of Metro Morning. He makes a positive difference in my day. I wish him well, and hope to hear him back again soon. I'm sure the decision to take a leave must have been difficult, and I hope he is finding support and peace in what must be a hard time in his life.

December 30, 2008 @ 6:34 AM

N

Andy Barrie is one of the finest hosts-he will be missed! We are lucky to have someone as knowlegdable and compelling/entertaining to listen to on the way in to work. If it doesn't work out and he is not able to return, there are some big shoes to fill. Good luck to the CBC. I will still listen in, but not as much.

January 2, 2009 @ 3:27 PM

Cari

I'm sad to hear that this leave is more than just a Christmas vacation for Andy. I do not finding waking up to Jane nearly so satisfying. Hurry back Andy!

January 4, 2009 @ 11:13 AM

D

Andy Barrie is greatly missed, he quarterbacks the morning show like no one else.
Jane is o.k.
I DO NOT like Kevin, he can't stop talking about himself.
Hurry back Andy, you are missed.

January 5, 2009 @ 4:12 PM

Omer Kilic

I don't listen radio anymore..
I suspected Harpers team suspended Andy...
CBC is taste-less

January 8, 2009 @ 11:22 PM

Ljuba

I miss the rumble of Andy's voice. Is he coming back? If he is gone for good, would anyone tell us, or are we suspended in the Air Canada airport info loop? Is CBC the new Air Canada? If he is never returning to the airwaves, I would like to say goodbye properly. I do miss him alot.

January 14, 2009 @ 8:56 AM

Paul del Junco

Since I missed the show in which he announced he was taking an indefinite leave, and there has been total silence from Metro Morning, not once mentioning his name, I was totally mystified, until I finally did a successful Google search "why is andy barrie off?" and now this.

If it was his Mother, wouldn't he have just said so? We all know she's very elderly. Probably something else.

I guess Barrie has a good contract and probably has a certain amount of time before he has to make a permanent decision.

I gotta confess I'm one of those who found him rather annoying. I hope they announce a permanent replacement soon.

January 15, 2009 @ 7:28 PM

Colleen Kaiser

Too bad about Andy but I love Kevin Sylvester and I hope he replaces him.

January 15, 2009 @ 7:39 PM

Diane K

Metro morning just isn't the same...

January 17, 2009 @ 10:07 AM

Michel Desjardins

I too am one of those who dearly miss Andy in the morning, and the depth he brought to so many of his interviews. I now only listen occcasionally to CBC. sigh...

January 18, 2009 @ 4:43 PM

Peter T.

I miss Andy every day. I have not always agreed with his point of view but he was never afraid to ask the tough and sometimes uncomfortable questions. Ms. Hautin is a bore, Karen Horseman only seems to enjoy talking about her kids and Kevin Sylvester is a whiny weenie (no wonder they sent Matt to the olympics last year) and I miss Matt in the afternoons!
Andy come back!

January 20, 2009 @ 10:15 AM

Richard M.

I've been listening to Andy since he took over Metro Morning. He and the rest of the MM crew have become the familiar, welcoming voices I rely on every morning to get the day started right. I had the pleasure of being interviewed by Andy last summer. I found him to be gracious and present. As much as I appreciate the work done by those who have filled in for him recently, I can't wait to hear Andy on the radio again.

January 22, 2009 @ 12:57 PM

Rosy C

I really miss Andy. There is no one quite like him.

Hope all is going well, and....

Hurry back!!

Rosy

January 23, 2009 @ 8:34 AM

Abbo

I agree with someone above that once his departure was announced, his presence as a long term CBC host completely disappeared. While he deserves his privacy, it is odd that CBC rarely mentions his name. Although, I have noticed that recently there has been the odd reference to "Metro Morning with Andy Barrie". Maybe he is planning his return. I thought that Kevin was great when he announced sports and expanded the traditional sports broadcast, but he is no longer so original and he does talk about himself a great deal and can't hold the show together as the main host. He was great as a addition, but doesn't seem to have the stamina or weight to carry the show. I think Jane Hawtin does a great job. But surely there must be some new names out there? CBC seems to be recycling the same people without any continuity for such a flagship show. I do wish Andy the best for his own health and that of his family members.

January 26, 2009 @ 5:39 PM

Abbo

January 26, 2009 @ 5:40 PM

Jeff M.

We all missed Zoski too, remember? Andy' soothing voice made the mornings for me. I do hope all is well and I hope someone settles in (or Andy comes back) but above all, I hope Metro morning stops trying to be all things to all people and gets back to being a supplier of quality information. Hip hop does not make my morning...

January 27, 2009 @ 6:02 AM

Gabby

If anything good has come from Andy's leave, it's having Jane Hawtin as host. Matt Galloway was also fabulous. Although compassion is warranted, why is such a high profile show allowed to remain in limbo for so long? I love the CBC but that's not to say I can't be critical - stop filling time with lame hosts like the narcissistic Karen and lacklustre Kevin. Radio 2 is competing for my attention where hosts still sound intelligent while being entertaining.

February 3, 2009 @ 5:56 PM

Jessica

The worse thing about Andy's leave is Hawtin. All the other subs - while not as good as Andy - are certainly tolerable. How Hawtin got the job is a great mystery.

Kevin Sylvester, Karen Horsman, Matt Galloway - all competent interviewers, and nice people to listen to.

But please come back when you can, Andy!

February 4, 2009 @ 10:20 PM

Ken West

Andy is a pretty good interviewer, but as a host? Not so much.

Just listen to how many mistakes he makes in an average morning. Some he corrects himself, some he leaves lying there. I have heard him confuse the temperature with the time, forget that he is now in Toronto rather than Montreal, and one day, I swear he forgot his own name.

Worse, listen to how he steps on other people's lines -- interrupting with his own comments before they finish theirs, and ignoring other people's bon mots, usually because he does not seem to get it. He seems very anxious not to let anyone else get his limelight.

Galloway was FAR superior.
Jane Hawten is a better host, although probably not a better inteviewer. (And yes, the less we hear of Horseman's kids, the better.)

I suspect that most of the support for Andy comes from people who have just got comfortable with his casual, stumbling style, without listeng to him critically.

At least, after 10 years he got rid of that annoying cough that he thought was so endearing -- I will give him that.

If he comes back perhaps it could be as a journalist-interviwer, but we deserve a more professional host.

February 6, 2009 @ 8:52 AM

Claudette

I have been listened Andy Barrie for 7 years every morning on my commuting everyday. He is so friendly and so professional. I don't think we will have anyone to replace him. Comeback soon Andy, my commuting is not the same!

February 6, 2009 @ 7:21 PM

margo

Andy you are missed. I pray that you will live the remainder of your life being diagnosed with PD but not being crippled by it. Continue to enjoy life . You have "been there, done that. You have impacted the lives of others and made a lasting impression.

February 18, 2009 @ 1:32 PM

Rochelle

Oh dear it was his wife. His wife died yesterday. How awful.

February 19, 2009 @ 7:35 AM

tom

Sad news indeed. I did not know of the reason he took the leave of absence but suspected something like this.

Would love to have him back for the morning and Galloway back in the afternoon. They are both great personalities at CBC.

February 19, 2009 @ 10:05 AM

Anonymous

I am so sorry to hear about the death of Andy's Mary. Through Andy's love of Mary, I got to know tiny bits and pieces and grew to admire this grand lady. My heart goes out to the Barrie Family.

February 22, 2009 @ 6:51 PM

jeremy

I've been switching back and forth between Andy and Sirius XM satellite radio for awhile. I don't know what I'm going to do now.

February 8, 2010 @ 4:09 AM