Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's Medley

musicDo you remember the Sean Connery movie Finding Forrester? It wasn't a bad little film, I recall enjoying it at the time, but today the first thing I remember about the movie is the song that played during the closing credits.

It was "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" and "What A Wonderful World" tied together and it was so mellow and sweet I was sure to wait for the soundtrack credits to learn who was behind this intoxicating medley. It was Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, a name I had never seen before.

I soon learnt Israel Kamakawiwo'ole was a recently deceased Hawaiian musician and that his medley of "Over the Rainbow" and "What a Wonderful World" was his signature song. I've heard it since in other films and commercials and here it is, an ideal song to take us away as we await yet another snow storm.

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Wasn't a version of that in 50 First Dates too?

March 4, 2008 @ 8:58 PM

Stafford

He's been dead a long time, Mike. Mid 90's.

But a fantastic song...best used when Dr. Mark died on ER a few years ago. Check it out on YouTube.

March 4, 2008 @ 10:06 PM

Toronto Mike

He was recently dead when I looked it up in 2000 - he died in 1997.

Get this, that ER ep where Mark dies is the very last ER episode I watched, and I was a faithful viewer until then.

It was a great episode, but I didn't want to watch without Dr. Greene.

Here's the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E4p6ivvMUc

March 4, 2008 @ 10:14 PM

Stafford

Me too...watched ER up to this and then stopped.

Your post made me sort through YouTube to find the same clip.

I think there's something in my damn eye..

March 5, 2008 @ 5:18 PM

Toronto Mike

Another coincidence, I too had something in my damn eye...

March 5, 2008 @ 7:24 PM

Stafford

Strange, the only other video that gets stuff in my eye is the final ten minutes of the original "The Office".

Damn asbestos.

March 7, 2008 @ 12:30 AM

The_Voice

You listen to Coverville too, don't you? I recently investigated getting this stuff after hearing it for the umpteenth time on the countdown.

March 7, 2008 @ 2:24 PM