Blackberried

phoneIf you've been reading this blog for a while, you'll know I've been sort of proud of the fact I've never owned a mobile phone. I was almost given a phone just for blogging about it, but I turned it down. The iPhone piqued my interest, but it's not yet available in Canada and I'm not ready to spend that kind of money on something I've lived comfortably without for 33 years.

For 33 years I've been without a cell phone, but today my streak ends. My employer just handed me a Blackberry. This is the perfect phone for me, it's a phone I won't have to pay for. The ramifications of this event cannot be overstated.

I'm now reachable just about everywhere, when I'm used to being completely uncontactable during times I'm in the car, walking the streets, shopping, or whatever. Even if I turn it off, it's got voicemail, and I'm going to be expected to check a voicemail within a reasonable amount of time. It's a virtual leash I've never desired, and now it's strapped on and ready to vibrate.

I've been Blackberried. Mark the date. I think I did quite well making it deep into 2007 before going mobile.

Fredericton Steve

I got my first cell phone a few months ago. The only time it leaves the house is when I go drinking or when the leafs are playing and I can't be home so I can check the score online.

October 26, 2007 @ 4:29 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Mike, I hear ya. I got one for the first time when I was 29. I needed it for doing homecare and to be honest, if I never did homecare Id probably still be without one.
I am actually thinking about ditching mine now and going back to land line only. The only thing stopping me is my wife. she thinks I should have it for an emergency.

October 26, 2007 @ 7:37 PM

Doug

I got my first cell phone in 1987. It was $3500.00 to purchase, but I think that I leased it for $150.00 per month. The airtime was extra. This one was an in car cell phone. I held off getting a mobile cell phone until they reduced the size so that it didn't look like you were carrying around carry-on luggage. I am 43 years old now....I wonder how large the tumour is?

October 26, 2007 @ 7:50 PM

Doug

By the way, I just got my first blackberry last week!!

October 26, 2007 @ 7:51 PM

Stephanie

Boys, boys, boys...

In two months you'll wonder what you ever did in the days before your Blackberry.

I use it completely with the calendar and email with the phone not so much.

Mike, I know you'll say you'll never be hooked and I probably believe it, but you might just get a little hooked.

October 26, 2007 @ 10:51 PM

Kochi Roshan

Congrats Mike. You should have embraced it sooner. I can't imagine life without it now. I took my first cell at the age of 27.

October 28, 2007 @ 2:06 PM

Al

That's why it's refered to as Crackberry. I've had a cell for around 15 years now, but I hope I NEVER get a crackberry. It's a whole new type of evil.

October 30, 2007 @ 9:54 AM