Alice in Chains at the Molson Amphitheatre

musicLast night's concert at the Molson Amphitheatre opened with Kill Hannah and closed with Velvet Revolver but for me it was all about Alice in Chains.

I spin the crap out of Dirt regularly and find the Alice in Chains sound appeals to my sensibilities like very few band do. When Layne Staley passed away, I assumed I had missed my chance to hear these songs live. I'm very happy to report that new lead singer William DuVall is spot on and when I closed my eyes during "Angry Chair", "Them Bones" and "Man in the Box", I couldn't tell the difference. The band was tight, the vocals strong and the entire set was vintage AiC.

It was cool seeing Slash, Duff and Scott on stage as the headliners, but I think they got that backward. Velvet Revolver should have been opening for Alice in Chains. I'm actually surprised Velvet Revolver could carry a show like that. They're okay, with a couple of singles I like, but I don't go to concerts to see a band perform a couple of singles I like. Dare I suggest Velvet Revolver is overrated? I think I just did...

Thanks to ShowClix for sending me to the amp to see one of my favourite bands of all time. I can now cross another item off my "things to do before I die" list.

Jill

It is not listed on ShowClix but Regina Spektor is at the Kool Haus October 11th.

August 13, 2007 @ 7:43 AM

Jason Meltzer Patterson

You know I really have to say I'm suprised Jerry Cantrell would allow this to happen and I don't like the idea of someone else doing karaoke to Layne's (often depressing)work.

Rock Star Alice In Chains

Maybe one day when a singer dies they will just clone the sucker to milk the cash cow

No thanks.

August 13, 2007 @ 10:29 AM

Lynsie

Glad you enjoyed the show Mike!

FYI...I just added Regina Spektor's tour dates to ShowClix if you want the details and ticket info for the Toronto Show.

August 13, 2007 @ 9:39 PM

Matt

I didn't know Alice in Chains was doing this. I really don't think I could bring myself to seeing them without Layne... it'd just seem too strange. They should just call themselves something else.

August 15, 2007 @ 2:18 AM

Jason

I wasn't sure about replacing Layne either. When I finally got to see AIC in concert I was worried that it would be a huge flop with the new singer...oh I was wrong. Seeing their show at the kool haus was unbelievable and sounded identical as if Layne was singing himself. Velvet Revolver is over rated and should have started it up for AIC...Oh well too bad !

August 15, 2007 @ 7:41 PM

Angry Chair
Rain When I Die
Would?
Down in a Hole
Rooster
Man in the Box

Great Show, Duvall fills in more than admirably but I think AIC should have got some more time. I wanted to hear Brother, Got Me Wrong, Nutshell maybe Sludge Factory or Over Now. My seats were right near the entrance to the backstage area so I got to say hi to William Duvall and Sean Kinney during VR's set. Jerry Cantrell walked right past me as well but he was gone before I realized it was him. Definately hope these guys come back on a headlining tour.

August 15, 2007 @ 9:31 PM

Roshan

I'm a big fan of AiC and I am not sure how they sound with Duvall. But I'd go hear them just to see Jerry, Sean & Mike. Who knows? I might like them with the new singer. And I just never got into Velvet Revolver, I want to but I never liked Scott Weiland's vocals, never liked him. As much as I like Matt Sorum & Slash & Duff, it just isn't enuf.

August 15, 2007 @ 11:42 PM

DAN KELLY

SAW THE SHOW IN CHICAGO LAST NIGHT AND ALICE IN CHAINS ROCKED THE HOUSE- AS FOR NOT REPLACING LAYNE STALEY I COULDN'T DISAGREE MORE - HE WAS AN AWESOME FRONTMAN AND ONE OF MY FAVORITE SINGERS OF ALL TIME BUT JERRY CANTRELL HAS ALWAYS BEEN A BIG PART OF THE VOCALS AND WROTE MOST OF ALICE IN CHAINS MATERIAL - HIS GUITAR PLAYING HASN'T SLOWED AND I'M SO GLAD THEY ARE STILL PLAYING LIVE SHOWS - HIS HARMONINIZING THE VOCALS WITH NEW SINGER WAS GREAT- I DID THINK IT WAS FUNNY THAT BOTH SIDE MICROPHONES THAT JERRY WOULD WALK UP TO WERE LOUDER THAN LEAD SINGERS MICROPHONE BUT WHEN JERRY'S SINGING IT SOUNDS LIKE THE ORIGINAL ALICE - KEEP IT UP

PS MR BROWNSTONE PATIENCE AND ITS SO EASY WERE AWESOME- VELVET WILL HAVE TO KEEP PLAYING A FEW STP AND GNR SONGS BECAUSE THERE MATERIAL CAN'T HOLD DOWN A FULL SET -

August 29, 2007 @ 2:22 PM