The Polaris Music Prize
We finally have our Mercury Prize. On September 18, the Polaris Music Prize will award $20,000 for the best Canadian album released between June 1, 2005, and May 31, 2006, regardless of genre. The inaugural nominees are:
- Broken Social Scene for Broken Social Scene
- Cadence Weapon, Breaking Kayfabe
- The Deadly Snakes, Porcella
- Final Fantasy, He Poos Clouds
- Sarah Harmer, I'm A Mountain
- K'naan, The Dusty Foot Philosopher
- Malajube, Trompe L'oeil
- Metric, Live It Out
- The New Pornographers, Twin Cinema
- Wolf Parade, Apologies To The Queen Mary
There's a lot of Toronto represented there and a lot of great music. This addresses my issue with how out of touch the Junos seem when compared to what's truly happening in our musical landscape. Long live the Polaris!
Only 3 comments? C'mon, we can do better... Leave a comment above and let's keep this conversation going!