Have you noticed yourself visiting YouTube more and more often these past few months? I've certainly been watching more videos over there, and if you look hard enough, you're bound to find some gems.
Below are some of my favourite videos currently available at YouTube. As I review my selection, I see there's an awful lot of Canadiana here, so it's fitting I share this on a long Canada Day weekend.
- The Sweater - This is the classic wonderful animated short from the National Film Board of Canada based on Roch Carrier's short story "The Hockey Sweater".
- The Log Driver's Waltz - The NFB has always had their finger on the pulse of purely beautiful Canadian nostalgia. This is another priceless gem.
- Touch 'em all, Joe! - Somebody was nice enough to take the video of the biggest hit in Blue Jays history and add it to Tom Cheek's best call.
- Jays Win 1992 World Series - You never forget your first. This memory is ultra sweet.
- The Anthems in Edmonton - O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
- Hockey Night In Canada - There is one sure fire way to tell who's Canadian. If you can watch this clip without smiling, you're not from around here.
- Terry Fox - My hero.
- Gold! - Inexplicably, I couldn't find footage of Paul Henderson's goal in 1972 or Mario Lemieux's from 1987, but I did find this.
- Rocking In The Free World - When Neil, Gord, Gordon, Bruce, Steven, Ed, Greg, Jim and other Canadian musicians break into our other national anthem, you rise and sing along. At the end, the chill factor is increased tenfold when Steve breaks into our first national anthem.
- A Tribute to Doug Gilmour - Fairly early on, we get to see Gilmour's wrap-around goal against Curtis Joseph in game one of the 1993 Norris final.
- A Tribute to Wayne Gretzky - This is a very cool montage of Gretzky highlights set to Bush's "Comedown". He was simply the best.
- A Tribute to Mario Lemieux - Outside of The Great One, there's only one other non-Leaf whose tribute would choke me up. For always rising to the moment... thanks.
- Wayne Gretzky - Anyone who has watched "The Legends of Hockey" knows how wonderful the series was. That score, those stories, those images... it's enough to bring a hockey fan to tears. This is Wayne Gretzky's story.
- The Simpsons on Canada - I was looking for a classic clip from The Simpson's visit to Toronto, but this one nicely surmises the difference between America and America Jr.
- New Orleans Is Sinking - This is The Tragically Hip's biggest hit set to images from New Orleans following the wrath of Katrina.
- Great White North - Bob and Doug McKenzie put us on the map.
- Joey and Caitlin - Our unofficial national couple is remembered. We should never forget the way they were.
- O Canada - This list has Canadiana oozing from its seams, but there might not be a more Canadian clip in the bunch than this sign off from CBC television. From crying seagull to crying seagull, this is our country.
Unable to find a single reference to Bill Barilko, I took it upon myself to upload a few clips I've collected from other sites. He's our Buddy Holly, immortalized by the Hip's "Fifty Mission Cap", and scorer of the 1951 Stanley Cup winner for my beloved Maple Leafs. Every year, his legend grows. Here is Bill Barilko's last goal.
- The Call Of The Goal - This brief goal gives us a listen as to how it was heard on April 21, 1951.
- The Top Leafs Goal - Global TV's Jim Tatti tells us about #1, off the stick of Bashin' Bill Barilko.
- Ken Dryden on Bill Barilko - Dryden tells us why Barilko's goal matters.
Update: Here are a few more gems that either came to me later or were suggested in the comments.
- Mario's 1987 Canada Cup Goal - I couldn't find this goal, the biggest goal since Henderson's, but Jim pointed me to a tiny audio-less clip that will have to do until we find something better.
- The Kids in the Hall Mac & Cheese Skit - The funniest comedy troupe in Canadian history and one of their best bits.
- Hinterland Who's Who on the Beaver - Pass the maple syrup indeed.
- The Friendly Giant Opening and The Friendly Giant Closing - So many memories...
- Tears Are Not Enough - Waaaay better than "We Are The World".
- Our Women Hockey Team Sings O Canada - Pass the tissue.
- Blame Canada - America's revenge.
These are a few of my favourites. Please share yours in the comments below.