Matt Gurney No Longer on Global News Radio 640 Toronto

Matt Gurney, host of The Exchange with Matt Gurney from 9am to noon on Global News Radio 640 Toronto, is no longer with the station. He's been "restructured" out. Here's what Matt tweeted earlier today.

Anyway, SOME PERSONAL NEWS. (Which may eventually include some analysis of Starfleet operations, let's just see how this goes.)

As of yesterday, I was told that, due to a restructuring, Global News, though very grateful for all my contributions, no longer required them.

I was asked to not say anything until now, as other people were also being let go, and I was asked, simply as a gentleman, to allow that process to unfold. I was happy to grant that request. I don't know about any further impacts — turns out I'm off the email distribution list!

To any of my colleagues at Global News and specifically 640 Toronto who were also let go, I wish you every success and you all know where to find me if I can be helpful in any way. For those who remain, and new people who may now join, best of luck — truly.

It has been my genuine pleasure these few years to contribute to what has been a very successful period for the radio station, including many changes. The good work of the last two years will continue, and I'm sure I'll be listening.

Though I had less of an opportunity to work with my colleagues at the rest of Global News, I have huge admiration for the work those journalists do every day and have enjoyed my time with them. A great group of people, a great group of journalists. Good luck, Global News.

As news of this has been slowly getting out over the last day or so, I've had a lot of kind notes and texts/calls from old friends and colleagues, all asking if I'm OK. For anyone who's worried, don't be. I am fine.

That's not false bravado. Sincerely — I'm fine. Getting let go from a radio job isn't exactly unforeseeable, so I made sure I was prepared, emotionally and otherwise, for this day. It came sooner than I might have once hoped. But I knew with certainty it would.

I've also kept a few irons in a few fires, and I'll have more to say about those soon, after some, uhhh, "technicalities" are dealt with. But truly, don't worry about me.

In fact, in some ways, this has helped with my professional imposter syndrome. I've finally been shitcanned from a media job! I'm for real now! Whoo hoo!

I admit that I am bored this morning, though. First time I've been "at liberty" in 12 years.

One last note.

The above thread has been all about me — and, I mean, duh. I'm the guy who got blown out an airlock. Of course it's about me.

But I want to carve out a bit of time here for someone else. Some words for, and about, @supriyadwivedi.

Supriya Dwivedi is amazing and I love her.

When I joined Global in fall of 2016, Supriya and I were a team. This is something she and I had wanted to do years. We were so excited by the opportunity. Getting up at Oh-God-Kill-Me o'clock every morning to go to work was only tolerable because we were doing it together.

Our time as co-hosts was much shorter than I expected it to be, and if I have any regret for the last few years, it's that. Spending all morning talking with a close friend that you adore and admire and respect is a luxury for most people. For me, it was my frickin' job!

One of the reasons I'm so content to move on now, to whatever comes next, is because it simply wasn't near as fun once we weren't doing it together anymore. I've missed her every day. But she's still kicking ass every morning from 0530 to 0900, and I couldn't be prouder of her.

There are others I should thank, and I will later, but I wanted to end right now on that note. Thank you and good luck, my friend.

And to all of you.

If you'd like to hear my 2+ hour deep dive with Matt Gurney, here's episode 299 of Toronto Mike'd.

Matt Gurney and me

Gord

No Surprise here at all but Matt was was very boring. Boring with Supriya in the early morning. Boring and irrelevant by himself. Together they were awful. Now Supriya and Mike Stanford are killing it. Great chemistry and I’ve switched listening from 1010 to 640 from 5:30am to 9am. John Moore too sanctimonious for me.

February 8, 2019 @ 6:12 PM

AM640 fan

The absolute worst radio host to air on AM640.

Pontificating his shite opinions and weather updates every minute was unbearable.

Won't be missed

February 8, 2019 @ 8:34 PM

Axll33

Hate to see anyone lose their job but yeah Agar blew him out of the water.Sorry maybe she is a friend but Supriya has ruined Stacford.Just listen to Stafford by himself so much better.She should have joined Gurney out the door.

February 8, 2019 @ 9:01 PM

Curtis

Now this is a unique time in history. Staff used to call Ryan giggle pants but i always found it borderline offensive the inappropriate times this giggle pants used to giggle at terrible stories. I’m not new age by any means but this I did find offensive. Btw, we don’t care that you and your family are well off or that this is a unique point in history and I hate to break it to you but you are not a young millennial bud. Good riddance, am640 is better off. Please please please give Alex your slot. Someone with perspective who adds to thought.

February 9, 2019 @ 8:06 AM

sully

They can call it 'restructuring' all they want, but he wouldn't have been shown the door if his show didn't suck, which begs the question; How does Moon Unit keep her job? High praise from Gurney doesn't alter the fact that she is the worst voice on GTA radio, and that includes the amateurs at CKNT.

February 9, 2019 @ 2:32 PM

Gary

The firing can do Matt nothing but good. Everything seemed to be about him. I expect radio host to have an ego however I'm sure Matt will benfit and maybe learn humility. Still same old Matt is coming through load and clear in his tweet. I would very much like Mike Stafford to return to the slot. I can't listen to Mike's co-host it's not what she says it her voice. It's fine for stand up but not for talk radio. Kelly on the other hand has had great success relearning

February 9, 2019 @ 5:25 PM

James

Hire the BEST people! Radio should try it, it worked right up till the 1980's or so than radio decided to hire ANYONE! Now radio BLOWS!!

February 9, 2019 @ 9:10 PM

Axll33

Not wanting to pile on but could Supriya carry a show by herself?? Let Stafford have the morning gig.. give her Gurneys 10am slot..my guess is the ratings would be worse than Gurneys..Look I applaud 640 putting more females on air but not everyone like men are good enough.

February 9, 2019 @ 9:20 PM

Brandon

Interestingly, the 640 schedule now shows Peter Shurman in that 9am-12pm slot starting this coming week. Not sure if that's just a "fill-in" gig for Peter while they find a strategy or announce a new host for the slot, or the move for Shurman there is more permanent.

February 10, 2019 @ 8:36 AM

RJ

Matt gurney will be missed. I enjoyed listening to him and his opinions. Supriya and her cuck of a cohost on the other hand is a disaster. They fired the wrong person good luck Matt in your future.

February 10, 2019 @ 12:34 PM

RJ

February 10, 2019 @ 12:34 PM

Anonymous

No kidding. Stafford has turned into something I don't even recognize. Effing cuck. GNR 640 should be: Oakley (with Mark Steyn), Alex, Hannity, more Hannity. A touch of Hannity mixed with a bit of Tucker. Then Laura. Some Sue-Ann, more Steyn, then a giant spray of Lou!

February 10, 2019 @ 2:08 PM

Sam dresden

Jack Berkowitz. Articulate, knowledgeable, controversial, fearless. No vanilla radio. Where'd he go? Gotta bring him back.

February 11, 2019 @ 12:15 AM

Kathy

One down a few more to go . Supriya is the biggest insult to talk radio.
I agree Mike who ? He is a side kick with nothing to say.
The worst morning show ever.

February 11, 2019 @ 8:33 AM

markosaar

Oh so that's what hell looks like.

February 11, 2019 @ 8:50 AM

sully

I agree that Jack Berkovits was surprisingly entertaining, in a politically-incorrect, loudmouth kind of way, but he has proven himself to be radio poison. When replacing an on-air host, you want to hire someone who won't burn their bridges in a couple of months, and leave you posting another want ad. Put Stafford (solo) back where he belongs in his old time slot, and fill the morning job with someone with a news and opinion background that sticks to his/her job in an intelligent way, and doesn't make the show all about themselves.

February 11, 2019 @ 9:41 AM

Linda

Supriya is smart enough to co-host but her voice is not suited to radio. Unfortunately I can't listen to the morning show because of that. Mike should be allowed to do what he does best, run a show alone. Same goes for the afternoon where John Oakley has been saddled with a co-host for the first part of the show. She adds nothing to John's astute commentary. This is not the fault of the co-hosts involved; it's GNR programming decisions to blame.

February 11, 2019 @ 1:11 PM

bsmntdwllr73

So when did GN'R start programming a local newstalk radio station, and how does Axl ever
fit it in with his occasional AC/DC-fronting responsibilities? So confused right now, guess I should
probably go and lie down on a nearby hot grate and take a nap for a little while...

February 11, 2019 @ 1:15 PM

Diane

I've very sorry to hear that Matt has left 640 AM. After a long time listening to most of the 640 Shows as background, it came down to mostly only Matt's and one other announcer's Shows that made listening to 640 worthwhile and interesting.

February 11, 2019 @ 1:52 PM

dan d

Talk radio isn't dead it just smells funny

February 11, 2019 @ 1:59 PM

wade

dan d.
i like the Zappa line.

February 11, 2019 @ 3:30 PM

Gerry Black

Stopped listening when Matt told us for the millionth time that he lived in Leaside.

February 12, 2019 @ 6:07 AM

Gerry Black

February 12, 2019 @ 6:07 AM

lynne adams

In my opinion, the sickening false pride @ am 640 has turned me off. Except for John Oakley, Roy Green, Alex, sometimes Kelly, the rest of them are so full of themselves, so sarcastic that they will mock others who don't believe as they do. So they cater to the elites, Big Med, Big Pharma, fake climate change, overbearing re anti vaxxers, etc. Supriya is very boastful & has a terrible radio voice. I feel sorry for Matt, but had no real interest in him. Just get Sue-Ann back, keep John, Roy, & Alex, PLEASE. Shurman is also full of false pride, very self-focused to a nauseating degree.

February 12, 2019 @ 1:45 PM

@lynne adams

You lost me at fake climate change.

And it's only responsible to be overbearing regarding anti-vaxxers.

I'm guessing recent changes are an attempt to shed listeners like you.

February 12, 2019 @ 1:48 PM

Axll

That's Axll with two l's btw Mr basement...Mike I am pretty sure your a CBC and John Moore Cfrb guy

February 12, 2019 @ 6:29 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Axll
Sorry for any confusion, but the "Axl" I was referring to in my previous comment was Mr. Rose
from Guns N' Roses, hence my rather lame attempt at humour vis-a-vis a previous commenter's
use of the GN'R radio short form. And he spells his rock handle A-X-L!

February 13, 2019 @ 10:01 AM

abtrapper

I live in AB and listened to Gurney. I followed him to 640 from NP Radio on XM.

He has some talent and is not just a SJW like the global morning radio hosts in Calgary.

February 13, 2019 @ 10:45 AM

Karen

I am sorry to hear that Matt Gurney is no longer with your radio station. He was my only reason for listening, I truly enjoyed him. Unfortunately, I will be switching over to another talk radio station.

February 13, 2019 @ 11:18 AM

bsmntdwllr73

I wonder if there is some kind of omnipotent, omniscient universal comment moderator paying
rapt attention to all those folks who repeatedly post on here 'bout how 'they are through with
this or that radio station due to the latest staffing changes'?!? Always good to get things off one's
chest (I sure do take advantage of that opportunity more than most!!), but highly doubtful that
the appropriate radio programming fat cats ever see such posts.

February 13, 2019 @ 11:26 AM

Lou green

It is a big loss for me that Matt is no longer on 640
Smart and well informed. Hope to hear you soon elsewhere.
All the best Matt -you are one of the best
Lou green

February 13, 2019 @ 12:37 PM

Chris Conway

Miss Matt and Supriya, much more stimulating show.
Big mistake letting Matt go, very interesting articulate person.

February 13, 2019 @ 2:49 PM

Sandra Wray

Sorry to here Matt Curney is no longer on 640 am loved listening to him every morning, he had lots to say.. 640 can say they are restructuring but I say they are tearing down good journalism.. Goodluck Matt loved you on the exchange , sorry to hear you will no longer be the voice I listen too every morning..

February 14, 2019 @ 11:04 AM

Mary Ann

What took them so long?

February 14, 2019 @ 11:22 AM

Justin

Stafford is on too early in the morning for me and the only other show I bothered to listen to was Gurney so I guess I'm done with 640 now

February 14, 2019 @ 12:09 PM

Bob

I feel sorry for Matt. They allowed Stafford to save Supriya and left Matt out hanging. When I first listened to Matt and Supriya I thought, who is responsible for this boring duo. Matt is like a drone and Supriya takes forever to spit out a word or a thought. Neither one is meant for radio. Both Matt and Surpiya along with the program director that hired them should have been dismissed.

Also, Stafford was great on his ownwith Ryan and HP. You guys have royally F'd up.

February 14, 2019 @ 1:04 PM

Steve

Kelly Cutrara said she'll be getting up much earlier shortly...……. taking Matt's place maybe????

February 14, 2019 @ 2:18 PM

Peter S

Neither Matt or Supriya are professional radio hosts. It's not their fault. Staff and Oak have the training of experience. You just don't pop someone into the #1 market cold. Send them to The Kap for a couple of years, graduate them to Timmins, then Montreal or Vancouver, then the Big Smoke (sorry folks it's not, and never will be The 6). Let's get some pros back on the air. Maybe Bill Carroll's ready to come back to town after a couple of winters in Ottawa.

February 14, 2019 @ 3:20 PM

@Steve

That's a good bet.

February 14, 2019 @ 4:16 PM

Oakviller

Matt and Supriya as a duo were just terrible. I agree that Stafford is better alone or for God sake team him up with another professional. Supriya would NEVER make it on her own. She has no experience and should definitely not be on the biggest market in Canada in the morning slot.

As for Matt, his show was like listening to a boring news show everyday. I tuned out from morning shows a long time ago. They had to mix things up. Took them way too long.

February 14, 2019 @ 5:37 PM

Axll33

Only Stafford can go head to head with Agar on 1010....here's a thought put Supriya and Kelly C together now that would be interesting has it been done before? Stafford back to his old slot and Sherman does afternoon's.

February 14, 2019 @ 11:41 PM

Leonard

Thank you AM640 you're on the right track. Matt will not be missed, I like Alex Pierso he's good replacement for Matt Gurney (the most long-winded man in the world) but now move that horribly voiced Supriya Dwivedi, she and Mike Stafford sound like the over-the-hill duo "The Motts".
She constantly laughs (awful giggles) at Staffords intentional bad jokes its cringe worthy. They are not killing it together as stated. Mike Stafford is a veteran and deserves his own show before he croaks from smoking cigarettes.

February 15, 2019 @ 10:02 AM

Vince

I've been listening to 640 from the MOJO days. The 2 best hosts hands down are Mike Stafford and John Oakley. The biggest mistake in my opinion was dismantling The Stafford Show. Mike, Heather and Patrick were a blast and such a pleasure to listen too. Matt and Supriya were boring as hell. Matt by himself was boring as hell however no disrespect, I think they are wonderful people and they are very good at what they do but on radio...it didn't work well. I think putting Stafford with Supriya sucks as well. I am also very disappointed and angry that they let Lou Schizas and Sue Ann Levy go. I think Peter Shurman is awesome and should have a spot. Hope this isn't a transformation into a Liberal station? On a final note, I really miss John Oakley in the morning. Hope Global can sort this out.

February 15, 2019 @ 10:42 AM

Steve

I think Gurney is off to 1010...… In my opinion, no factual evidence... just based on a retweet Matt made from Jim Richards

February 15, 2019 @ 11:25 AM

Sharon

I would like to see Mike back in the 9.00 slot. Loved his show

February 15, 2019 @ 3:35 PM

Oakviller

Mike going back to 9 am ain't going to happen. Latest ratings show that Stafford show is beating 1010, that's right! He deserves that slot for turning the sinking ship around. He would still benefit from moving Supriya, but I don't see 640 doing it.

They really need to fix the 10 am slot. Kelly will do it. No, to Shurman. He's so cranky at times it's cringy. Heard Stephen Ledrew stepping in to cover the regulars and he was pretty good. You either have chemistry for radio or you don't.

February 15, 2019 @ 5:03 PM

Really

Love the posts supporting Matt what a joke - did he write them. Suprias voice is literally offensive to the ear. Either the way its mixed, or using a standard female EQ curve, when her setting needs some "love" to make it sound right. When I listen to 640 in the AM i find my self cringing when she speaks, then turning it down when she speaks.. then turning it off.

We all know the joke about a "Face for Radio" but she literally doesnt have the voice for radio.

February 19, 2019 @ 10:54 AM

Shurman

If you were listening to AM640 in the last month.. Peter Shurman has mentioned he sold his house in Niagara and has bought a condo in Toronto... Said it was for mobility of his wife, could also be cause he's gonna have a full time gig...

February 19, 2019 @ 10:57 AM

Igor

Thank God he’s gone, what a breath of fresh air...

February 19, 2019 @ 6:29 PM

GTACommuter

Happy Guerney is gone. I cringed every time he made a santimonious comment and came across as a know-it-all Millennial trying to convince he was the voice of his generation. For those of who don’t like Supriya, she’s got a bun in the oven and will likely be taking some time off. Then we’ll see how they reshuffle the deck again.

February 19, 2019 @ 9:55 PM

GTACommuter

February 19, 2019 @ 9:55 PM

Anonymous

stopped listening to Gurney when he was with Supriya and he thought raccoons were rodents (supriya corrected him )

February 20, 2019 @ 10:35 AM

Sandra Wray

I miss Matt in the mornings , don't like this new guy , whatever his name is , don't care. They took Mike Stafford off and put him earlier, too early for me, miss him loved him and Heather..Bring Mike Back to 9am slot please. Don't like Kelly , turn off 640am at noon. What ever you guys are doing at 640, please get it right...tired of turning on my radio to hear a new voice all the time...

February 20, 2019 @ 11:21 AM

harry ryan

It is beyond me as to why Global News Radio does not revert back to a winning combination i.e Stafford in the 5.30 A.M slot and solo. That is when he shines.The man is articulate, funny, informed and sensitive. No snub at Supriya, but this combo does not work. Even Stafford in the 9.00 A.M slot would be preferable but he works best on his own.

February 20, 2019 @ 3:41 PM

Anonymous

Love Supriya, she makes me laugh

February 20, 2019 @ 8:02 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Axll33 , Mojo did it with Marsha Lederman and Karen Horsman, many years ago, it was a good combo for sure.
As for all the Matt dislikers (haters) it's a tough gig when management is the tiller of the ship.
Supriya is very articulate, yes her voice can be quite dry and irritating,but Stafford seems to be able to bring out the best in their pairing. She could use some voice coaching from Kelly.

February 20, 2019 @ 9:13 PM

Pink in T.O.

I have a simple solution for AM 640 : 4 of your very best people 6 hours a day, 24/7 as follows : Alex Pierson, Peter Shurman , Roy Green & John Oakley !!!! I say this in jest knowing it could never be done this way , but, these 4 people are the reason why my time spent listening to the Fan 590 is almost negligible now !!!!

February 21, 2019 @ 10:24 AM

Steve

Somebody at GNR has finally got it right, Matt done and Tasha is leaving.... Great start!!!
One more host to go, rearrange your hosts' time slots and I'll be listening all day!!!
Wishing good luck to Matt and Tasha in their future endeavors (hopefully non-radio)

February 21, 2019 @ 12:23 PM

Neo

AM640s getting their act together, Bye-Bye Matt Gurney and Tasha Kheiriddin one more to go the ear-piercing female nutty professor sounding Supriya Dwivedi (she should have been the first to go) but firing a pregnant woman may look bad for Global. These people are decent and deserve some respect for their efforts, but they are not radio friendly and I'm not sorry to see them exit my favorite radio station. Tried AM1010 but they are way too Gurney like boring.

February 22, 2019 @ 7:37 AM

Inside baseball

All I can say is the guy currently in the 9am slot.. Edward is not the “new guy” he’s a star writer filling in.. and is doing best he can with what it is.. the new line ups will be made public soon! Things R looking up.

February 22, 2019 @ 8:55 AM

Amanda

So dissapointed i love matt

February 22, 2019 @ 10:41 AM