Matt Gurney No Longer on Global News Radio 640 Toronto

Matt Gurney, host of The Exchange with Matt Gurney from 9am to noon on Global News Radio 640 Toronto, is no longer with the station. He's been "restructured" out. Here's what Matt tweeted earlier today.

Anyway, SOME PERSONAL NEWS. (Which may eventually include some analysis of Starfleet operations, let's just see how this goes.)

As of yesterday, I was told that, due to a restructuring, Global News, though very grateful for all my contributions, no longer required them.

I was asked to not say anything until now, as other people were also being let go, and I was asked, simply as a gentleman, to allow that process to unfold. I was happy to grant that request. I don't know about any further impacts — turns out I'm off the email distribution list!

To any of my colleagues at Global News and specifically 640 Toronto who were also let go, I wish you every success and you all know where to find me if I can be helpful in any way. For those who remain, and new people who may now join, best of luck — truly.

It has been my genuine pleasure these few years to contribute to what has been a very successful period for the radio station, including many changes. The good work of the last two years will continue, and I'm sure I'll be listening.

Though I had less of an opportunity to work with my colleagues at the rest of Global News, I have huge admiration for the work those journalists do every day and have enjoyed my time with them. A great group of people, a great group of journalists. Good luck, Global News.

As news of this has been slowly getting out over the last day or so, I've had a lot of kind notes and texts/calls from old friends and colleagues, all asking if I'm OK. For anyone who's worried, don't be. I am fine.

That's not false bravado. Sincerely — I'm fine. Getting let go from a radio job isn't exactly unforeseeable, so I made sure I was prepared, emotionally and otherwise, for this day. It came sooner than I might have once hoped. But I knew with certainty it would.

I've also kept a few irons in a few fires, and I'll have more to say about those soon, after some, uhhh, "technicalities" are dealt with. But truly, don't worry about me.

In fact, in some ways, this has helped with my professional imposter syndrome. I've finally been shitcanned from a media job! I'm for real now! Whoo hoo!

I admit that I am bored this morning, though. First time I've been "at liberty" in 12 years.

One last note.

The above thread has been all about me — and, I mean, duh. I'm the guy who got blown out an airlock. Of course it's about me.

But I want to carve out a bit of time here for someone else. Some words for, and about, @supriyadwivedi.

Supriya Dwivedi is amazing and I love her.

When I joined Global in fall of 2016, Supriya and I were a team. This is something she and I had wanted to do years. We were so excited by the opportunity. Getting up at Oh-God-Kill-Me o'clock every morning to go to work was only tolerable because we were doing it together.

Our time as co-hosts was much shorter than I expected it to be, and if I have any regret for the last few years, it's that. Spending all morning talking with a close friend that you adore and admire and respect is a luxury for most people. For me, it was my frickin' job!

One of the reasons I'm so content to move on now, to whatever comes next, is because it simply wasn't near as fun once we weren't doing it together anymore. I've missed her every day. But she's still kicking ass every morning from 0530 to 0900, and I couldn't be prouder of her.

There are others I should thank, and I will later, but I wanted to end right now on that note. Thank you and good luck, my friend.

And to all of you.

If you'd like to hear my 2+ hour deep dive with Matt Gurney, here's episode 299 of Toronto Mike'd.

Matt Gurney and me

Gord

No Surprise here at all but Matt was was very boring. Boring with Supriya in the early morning. Boring and irrelevant by himself. Together they were awful. Now Supriya and Mike Stanford are killing it. Great chemistry and I’ve switched listening from 1010 to 640 from 5:30am to 9am. John Moore too sanctimonious for me.

February 8, 2019 @ 6:12 PM

AM640 fan

The absolute worst radio host to air on AM640.

Pontificating his shite opinions and weather updates every minute was unbearable.

Won't be missed

February 8, 2019 @ 8:34 PM

Axll33

Hate to see anyone lose their job but yeah Agar blew him out of the water.Sorry maybe she is a friend but Supriya has ruined Stacford.Just listen to Stafford by himself so much better.She should have joined Gurney out the door.

February 8, 2019 @ 9:01 PM

Curtis

Now this is a unique time in history. Staff used to call Ryan giggle pants but i always found it borderline offensive the inappropriate times this giggle pants used to giggle at terrible stories. I’m not new age by any means but this I did find offensive. Btw, we don’t care that you and your family are well off or that this is a unique point in history and I hate to break it to you but you are not a young millennial bud. Good riddance, am640 is better off. Please please please give Alex your slot. Someone with perspective who adds to thought.

February 9, 2019 @ 8:06 AM

sully

They can call it 'restructuring' all they want, but he wouldn't have been shown the door if his show didn't suck, which begs the question; How does Moon Unit keep her job? High praise from Gurney doesn't alter the fact that she is the worst voice on GTA radio, and that includes the amateurs at CKNT.

February 9, 2019 @ 2:32 PM

Gary

The firing can do Matt nothing but good. Everything seemed to be about him. I expect radio host to have an ego however I'm sure Matt will benfit and maybe learn humility. Still same old Matt is coming through load and clear in his tweet. I would very much like Mike Stafford to return to the slot. I can't listen to Mike's co-host it's not what she says it her voice. It's fine for stand up but not for talk radio. Kelly on the other hand has had great success relearning

February 9, 2019 @ 5:25 PM

James

Hire the BEST people! Radio should try it, it worked right up till the 1980's or so than radio decided to hire ANYONE! Now radio BLOWS!!

February 9, 2019 @ 9:10 PM

Axll33

Not wanting to pile on but could Supriya carry a show by herself?? Let Stafford have the morning gig.. give her Gurneys 10am slot..my guess is the ratings would be worse than Gurneys..Look I applaud 640 putting more females on air but not everyone like men are good enough.

February 9, 2019 @ 9:20 PM

Brandon

Interestingly, the 640 schedule now shows Peter Shurman in that 9am-12pm slot starting this coming week. Not sure if that's just a "fill-in" gig for Peter while they find a strategy or announce a new host for the slot, or the move for Shurman there is more permanent.

February 10, 2019 @ 8:36 AM

RJ

Matt gurney will be missed. I enjoyed listening to him and his opinions. Supriya and her cuck of a cohost on the other hand is a disaster. They fired the wrong person good luck Matt in your future.

February 10, 2019 @ 12:34 PM

RJ

February 10, 2019 @ 12:34 PM

Anonymous

No kidding. Stafford has turned into something I don't even recognize. Effing cuck. GNR 640 should be: Oakley (with Mark Steyn), Alex, Hannity, more Hannity. A touch of Hannity mixed with a bit of Tucker. Then Laura. Some Sue-Ann, more Steyn, then a giant spray of Lou!

February 10, 2019 @ 2:08 PM

Sam dresden

Jack Berkowitz. Articulate, knowledgeable, controversial, fearless. No vanilla radio. Where'd he go? Gotta bring him back.

February 11, 2019 @ 12:15 AM

Kathy

One down a few more to go . Supriya is the biggest insult to talk radio.
I agree Mike who ? He is a side kick with nothing to say.
The worst morning show ever.

February 11, 2019 @ 8:33 AM

markosaar

Oh so that's what hell looks like.

February 11, 2019 @ 8:50 AM

sully

I agree that Jack Berkovits was surprisingly entertaining, in a politically-incorrect, loudmouth kind of way, but he has proven himself to be radio poison. When replacing an on-air host, you want to hire someone who won't burn their bridges in a couple of months, and leave you posting another want ad. Put Stafford (solo) back where he belongs in his old time slot, and fill the morning job with someone with a news and opinion background that sticks to his/her job in an intelligent way, and doesn't make the show all about themselves.

February 11, 2019 @ 9:41 AM

Linda

Supriya is smart enough to co-host but her voice is not suited to radio. Unfortunately I can't listen to the morning show because of that. Mike should be allowed to do what he does best, run a show alone. Same goes for the afternoon where John Oakley has been saddled with a co-host for the first part of the show. She adds nothing to John's astute commentary. This is not the fault of the co-hosts involved; it's GNR programming decisions to blame.

February 11, 2019 @ 1:11 PM

bsmntdwllr73

So when did GN'R start programming a local newstalk radio station, and how does Axl ever
fit it in with his occasional AC/DC-fronting responsibilities? So confused right now, guess I should
probably go and lie down on a nearby hot grate and take a nap for a little while...

February 11, 2019 @ 1:15 PM

Diane

I've very sorry to hear that Matt has left 640 AM. After a long time listening to most of the 640 Shows as background, it came down to mostly only Matt's and one other announcer's Shows that made listening to 640 worthwhile and interesting.

February 11, 2019 @ 1:52 PM

dan d

Talk radio isn't dead it just smells funny

February 11, 2019 @ 1:59 PM

wade

dan d.
i like the Zappa line.

February 11, 2019 @ 3:30 PM

Gerry Black

Stopped listening when Matt told us for the millionth time that he lived in Leaside.

February 12, 2019 @ 6:07 AM

Gerry Black

February 12, 2019 @ 6:07 AM

lynne adams

In my opinion, the sickening false pride @ am 640 has turned me off. Except for John Oakley, Roy Green, Alex, sometimes Kelly, the rest of them are so full of themselves, so sarcastic that they will mock others who don't believe as they do. So they cater to the elites, Big Med, Big Pharma, fake climate change, overbearing re anti vaxxers, etc. Supriya is very boastful & has a terrible radio voice. I feel sorry for Matt, but had no real interest in him. Just get Sue-Ann back, keep John, Roy, & Alex, PLEASE. Shurman is also full of false pride, very self-focused to a nauseating degree.

February 12, 2019 @ 1:45 PM

@lynne adams

You lost me at fake climate change.

And it's only responsible to be overbearing regarding anti-vaxxers.

I'm guessing recent changes are an attempt to shed listeners like you.

February 12, 2019 @ 1:48 PM

Axll

That's Axll with two l's btw Mr basement...Mike I am pretty sure your a CBC and John Moore Cfrb guy

February 12, 2019 @ 6:29 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Axll
Sorry for any confusion, but the "Axl" I was referring to in my previous comment was Mr. Rose
from Guns N' Roses, hence my rather lame attempt at humour vis-a-vis a previous commenter's
use of the GN'R radio short form. And he spells his rock handle A-X-L!

February 13, 2019 @ 10:01 AM

abtrapper

I live in AB and listened to Gurney. I followed him to 640 from NP Radio on XM.

He has some talent and is not just a SJW like the global morning radio hosts in Calgary.

February 13, 2019 @ 10:45 AM

Karen

I am sorry to hear that Matt Gurney is no longer with your radio station. He was my only reason for listening, I truly enjoyed him. Unfortunately, I will be switching over to another talk radio station.

February 13, 2019 @ 11:18 AM

bsmntdwllr73

I wonder if there is some kind of omnipotent, omniscient universal comment moderator paying
rapt attention to all those folks who repeatedly post on here 'bout how 'they are through with
this or that radio station due to the latest staffing changes'?!? Always good to get things off one's
chest (I sure do take advantage of that opportunity more than most!!), but highly doubtful that
the appropriate radio programming fat cats ever see such posts.

February 13, 2019 @ 11:26 AM

Lou green

It is a big loss for me that Matt is no longer on 640
Smart and well informed. Hope to hear you soon elsewhere.
All the best Matt -you are one of the best
Lou green

February 13, 2019 @ 12:37 PM

Chris Conway

Miss Matt and Supriya, much more stimulating show.
Big mistake letting Matt go, very interesting articulate person.

February 13, 2019 @ 2:49 PM

Sandra Wray

Sorry to here Matt Curney is no longer on 640 am loved listening to him every morning, he had lots to say.. 640 can say they are restructuring but I say they are tearing down good journalism.. Goodluck Matt loved you on the exchange , sorry to hear you will no longer be the voice I listen too every morning..

February 14, 2019 @ 11:04 AM

Mary Ann

What took them so long?

February 14, 2019 @ 11:22 AM

Justin

Stafford is on too early in the morning for me and the only other show I bothered to listen to was Gurney so I guess I'm done with 640 now

February 14, 2019 @ 12:09 PM

Bob

I feel sorry for Matt. They allowed Stafford to save Supriya and left Matt out hanging. When I first listened to Matt and Supriya I thought, who is responsible for this boring duo. Matt is like a drone and Supriya takes forever to spit out a word or a thought. Neither one is meant for radio. Both Matt and Surpiya along with the program director that hired them should have been dismissed.

Also, Stafford was great on his ownwith Ryan and HP. You guys have royally F'd up.

February 14, 2019 @ 1:04 PM

Steve

Kelly Cutrara said she'll be getting up much earlier shortly...……. taking Matt's place maybe????

February 14, 2019 @ 2:18 PM

Peter S

Neither Matt or Supriya are professional radio hosts. It's not their fault. Staff and Oak have the training of experience. You just don't pop someone into the #1 market cold. Send them to The Kap for a couple of years, graduate them to Timmins, then Montreal or Vancouver, then the Big Smoke (sorry folks it's not, and never will be The 6). Let's get some pros back on the air. Maybe Bill Carroll's ready to come back to town after a couple of winters in Ottawa.

February 14, 2019 @ 3:20 PM

@Steve

That's a good bet.

February 14, 2019 @ 4:16 PM

Oakviller

Matt and Supriya as a duo were just terrible. I agree that Stafford is better alone or for God sake team him up with another professional. Supriya would NEVER make it on her own. She has no experience and should definitely not be on the biggest market in Canada in the morning slot.

As for Matt, his show was like listening to a boring news show everyday. I tuned out from morning shows a long time ago. They had to mix things up. Took them way too long.

February 14, 2019 @ 5:37 PM

Axll33

Only Stafford can go head to head with Agar on 1010....here's a thought put Supriya and Kelly C together now that would be interesting has it been done before? Stafford back to his old slot and Sherman does afternoon's.

February 14, 2019 @ 11:41 PM

Leonard

Thank you AM640 you're on the right track. Matt will not be missed, I like Alex Pierso he's good replacement for Matt Gurney (the most long-winded man in the world) but now move that horribly voiced Supriya Dwivedi, she and Mike Stafford sound like the over-the-hill duo "The Motts".
She constantly laughs (awful giggles) at Staffords intentional bad jokes its cringe worthy. They are not killing it together as stated. Mike Stafford is a veteran and deserves his own show before he croaks from smoking cigarettes.

February 15, 2019 @ 10:02 AM

Vince

I've been listening to 640 from the MOJO days. The 2 best hosts hands down are Mike Stafford and John Oakley. The biggest mistake in my opinion was dismantling The Stafford Show. Mike, Heather and Patrick were a blast and such a pleasure to listen too. Matt and Supriya were boring as hell. Matt by himself was boring as hell however no disrespect, I think they are wonderful people and they are very good at what they do but on radio...it didn't work well. I think putting Stafford with Supriya sucks as well. I am also very disappointed and angry that they let Lou Schizas and Sue Ann Levy go. I think Peter Shurman is awesome and should have a spot. Hope this isn't a transformation into a Liberal station? On a final note, I really miss John Oakley in the morning. Hope Global can sort this out.

February 15, 2019 @ 10:42 AM

Steve

I think Gurney is off to 1010...… In my opinion, no factual evidence... just based on a retweet Matt made from Jim Richards

February 15, 2019 @ 11:25 AM

Sharon

I would like to see Mike back in the 9.00 slot. Loved his show

February 15, 2019 @ 3:35 PM

Oakviller

Mike going back to 9 am ain't going to happen. Latest ratings show that Stafford show is beating 1010, that's right! He deserves that slot for turning the sinking ship around. He would still benefit from moving Supriya, but I don't see 640 doing it.

They really need to fix the 10 am slot. Kelly will do it. No, to Shurman. He's so cranky at times it's cringy. Heard Stephen Ledrew stepping in to cover the regulars and he was pretty good. You either have chemistry for radio or you don't.

February 15, 2019 @ 5:03 PM

Really

Love the posts supporting Matt what a joke - did he write them. Suprias voice is literally offensive to the ear. Either the way its mixed, or using a standard female EQ curve, when her setting needs some "love" to make it sound right. When I listen to 640 in the AM i find my self cringing when she speaks, then turning it down when she speaks.. then turning it off.

We all know the joke about a "Face for Radio" but she literally doesnt have the voice for radio.

February 19, 2019 @ 10:54 AM

Shurman

If you were listening to AM640 in the last month.. Peter Shurman has mentioned he sold his house in Niagara and has bought a condo in Toronto... Said it was for mobility of his wife, could also be cause he's gonna have a full time gig...

February 19, 2019 @ 10:57 AM

Igor

Thank God he’s gone, what a breath of fresh air...

February 19, 2019 @ 6:29 PM

GTACommuter

Happy Guerney is gone. I cringed every time he made a santimonious comment and came across as a know-it-all Millennial trying to convince he was the voice of his generation. For those of who don’t like Supriya, she’s got a bun in the oven and will likely be taking some time off. Then we’ll see how they reshuffle the deck again.

February 19, 2019 @ 9:55 PM

GTACommuter

February 19, 2019 @ 9:55 PM

Anonymous

stopped listening to Gurney when he was with Supriya and he thought raccoons were rodents (supriya corrected him )

February 20, 2019 @ 10:35 AM

Sandra Wray

I miss Matt in the mornings , don't like this new guy , whatever his name is , don't care. They took Mike Stafford off and put him earlier, too early for me, miss him loved him and Heather..Bring Mike Back to 9am slot please. Don't like Kelly , turn off 640am at noon. What ever you guys are doing at 640, please get it right...tired of turning on my radio to hear a new voice all the time...

February 20, 2019 @ 11:21 AM

harry ryan

It is beyond me as to why Global News Radio does not revert back to a winning combination i.e Stafford in the 5.30 A.M slot and solo. That is when he shines.The man is articulate, funny, informed and sensitive. No snub at Supriya, but this combo does not work. Even Stafford in the 9.00 A.M slot would be preferable but he works best on his own.

February 20, 2019 @ 3:41 PM

Anonymous

Love Supriya, she makes me laugh

February 20, 2019 @ 8:02 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Axll33 , Mojo did it with Marsha Lederman and Karen Horsman, many years ago, it was a good combo for sure.
As for all the Matt dislikers (haters) it's a tough gig when management is the tiller of the ship.
Supriya is very articulate, yes her voice can be quite dry and irritating,but Stafford seems to be able to bring out the best in their pairing. She could use some voice coaching from Kelly.

February 20, 2019 @ 9:13 PM

Pink in T.O.

I have a simple solution for AM 640 : 4 of your very best people 6 hours a day, 24/7 as follows : Alex Pierson, Peter Shurman , Roy Green & John Oakley !!!! I say this in jest knowing it could never be done this way , but, these 4 people are the reason why my time spent listening to the Fan 590 is almost negligible now !!!!

February 21, 2019 @ 10:24 AM

Steve

Somebody at GNR has finally got it right, Matt done and Tasha is leaving.... Great start!!!
One more host to go, rearrange your hosts' time slots and I'll be listening all day!!!
Wishing good luck to Matt and Tasha in their future endeavors (hopefully non-radio)

February 21, 2019 @ 12:23 PM

Neo

AM640s getting their act together, Bye-Bye Matt Gurney and Tasha Kheiriddin one more to go the ear-piercing female nutty professor sounding Supriya Dwivedi (she should have been the first to go) but firing a pregnant woman may look bad for Global. These people are decent and deserve some respect for their efforts, but they are not radio friendly and I'm not sorry to see them exit my favorite radio station. Tried AM1010 but they are way too Gurney like boring.

February 22, 2019 @ 7:37 AM

Inside baseball

All I can say is the guy currently in the 9am slot.. Edward is not the “new guy” he’s a star writer filling in.. and is doing best he can with what it is.. the new line ups will be made public soon! Things R looking up.

February 22, 2019 @ 8:55 AM

Amanda

So dissapointed i love matt

February 22, 2019 @ 10:41 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Excuse me for being at least four days late with this one (oft-mentioned technical difficulties and
such), but more than a little bit confused with regards to GTA Commuter's comment about
Supriya "having a bun in the oven." Might have been late for class when that was announced,
but 'scuse me for not realizing that she has now entered that highly-competitive field of amateur
home baking. And if by chance said comment actually refers to more adult matters, kindly forgive
me for not exactly being up-to-date on that whole complex birds and bees business, but some of
us clueless middle-aged goobers are still lost out there anxiously waiting for the proverbial other nut to (FINALLY)drop!!

February 23, 2019 @ 11:08 AM

Fatt Glurney

Hi everyone Fatt Glurney here reoirting.

First off, sorry for not commenting earlier on this thread but I stopped listening to am640 over a yr ago after MR KNOWITALL kept telling his ever-shrinking audience how much he knew about everything and how awesome he was at everything on a minute-by-minute basis.

Hopefully this wakes him up, but in all honesty we all know it won't. Besides being an excruciatingly boring windbag, he has no personality.

And to you specifically Matt; get off Twitter you're not helping your cause with your nauseating tweets about your irrelevant life every few hours.

I hope you are you employed for a very, very long time. You didn't earn your position on radio and it clearly showed. They should have blown you out of there before your 3 month probation ended.

February 24, 2019 @ 11:41 AM

FNJ

....wow, after listening to the first few minutes of that interview I'm feeling fully validated on swerving off 640. I don't worry about his future.

February 25, 2019 @ 4:11 PM

Zoran

I start listening 640 because of Matt Gurney. I loved listening to him every morning. Too bad he is not on air any more.

February 26, 2019 @ 10:48 AM

Jimmer

Couldn't happen quick enough. That stupid laugh for seemingly no reason was awful. Hope they keep Peter in the time slot. Now they just need to get rid of that prepubescent sounding Supriya that Stafford is stuck with and also the two idiots in the afternoon and all will be good.

February 26, 2019 @ 1:36 PM

Anonymous

Ah just heard that Tasha is gone as if the 1st. One down, one to go

February 26, 2019 @ 2:13 PM

Inside Baseball 2

Can’t say more. - want to.

New line up to appear Monday. More info soon. Yes Supriya is preg and will have mat leave.. deck shuffled coming soon.

Shurman not staying full time at 9 that I can confirm. More soon as able.

February 26, 2019 @ 7:02 PM

DJD

Not surprised, not sorry, not sad to see Matt leave - he was a horrible fit for PC Global and Agar was killing him
I mean how many times do you want to hear about his kids or that he doesn't wear a coat?
Now what really shacks me is the fact Supriya survived the cut
I get it, Global/Corus want to promote women which is great but her Kermit like voice and constant babble about Quebec tells me they did the warm body thing

Many have commented on Stafford - so sad how he was forced to grow a Corus vagina to ensure his presence didn't over power Supriya's lack of talent

Just listen to him when she is off on one of her many sick days - every 10 minutes he needs to remind us (forced by Corus)? that she "will be back......"

The poor bastard tries hard with the french accent thing (poutine) & is sooooo patient with her but this is a broken man

great radio stn ruined by political correctness

February 27, 2019 @ 7:57 AM

Kevin

Yay. Now get rid of all the other morons. Oakley can stay. Never sure from one day to the next if they were flogging pillows or vaccines or ???. Lol. And Toronto Mike, just out of curiosity, not sure if this is your site or not but; ever wonder why you aren't known or don't have a show of your own you cockoo?

February 27, 2019 @ 9:07 AM

Kevin

And yes, Supperia or however it goes made the wrong career choice, her crying father was right doctor, lawyer or what was the other option...God was it? Yes she could have been God I think she thinks. Anything would have been better than on a radio show. Clueless!!!
Kelly is hit or miss although if Creston would get rid of his nerves when he is solo he'd be great on his own. Alex is very amateur with her fake "live" guests "joining her now".
Great chance to better this station...don't blow it this time...unless you are going under which would not be a shock.

February 27, 2019 @ 9:26 AM

Oakviller

We know nothing will change for the morning show even with Supriya gone for matt leave. Kelly moving to 9-11 am slot. Shurman 12-2. Drew Ledrew 2-4. Oakley, no change. Alex no change.

February 27, 2019 @ 9:27 AM

RadioReject

The only thing I will miss about the Matt Gurney exchange show are the Space updates from Paul Delaney, keep him around. Matt was just too boring and full of himself to make any talking point entertaining. Let him stick to the written word.

I have been wondering what TPTB at GNR have been thinking with their approach for the longest time.Oakley and Stafford are the foundations and the rest of the hosts should emulate these two as much as possible. Most of the recent reshufflings have been failures due to ignoring this.

While both of the above can come across as unnecessarily smug and smarmy at times, it is after all a conservative minded station. But that's also what makes it so entertaining and funny. Sonny from Richmond Hill, Fast Eddie with Oakely is comedy gold at times. What happened to the happy capitalist Lou Schizas? These were the reasons for tuning in to 640 to being with. Maybe you'd catch Oakely in a nice argument with Sonny on the way to work and have a few chuckles, or better yet, Rob Ford duking it out with Norm Kelly! Maybe you caught Stafford and the gang having a good laugh at some funny news piece, or even the classic "happy ending". At least you knew you could get a chuckle out of Lou at 5:55pm everyday. Now we have to settle for Tom's place ads...

These were the discrete pieces that made an otherwise boring format worth tuning in for. Sorry, but there are more entertaining distractions in our lives nowadays, that going to a very boring, very scripted format, for these hosts, let alone the less experienced hosts, is a mistake.

Get rid of Supriya, let Staff do his thing, let Oakley bring back his cast of characters and give him more free reign (except Sue Ann Levy-good riddance!). Keep Shurman on the sidelines as his excessive smugness and partisanship are tolerable only in small doses when he fills in. Let Kelly and Chris do their thing, but maybe give them a little more room to be zany, this is how Chris will rise to the next level and gain confidence. Alex Peirson is also annoying and has an incredibly irritating attitude. Ok, we get it, you hate Trudeau. Sheesh, can she just talk about a topic and stop trying to make it about trying to score cheap political points her party leader can't seem to score.

Heard Arlene Bynon fill in recently and couldn't help but wonder if she would be better than most of the line up now. At least she has a somewhat sexy sounding voice, even if her upper class twat attitude ruins it.

Also, the blatant attempt by some hosts to turn everything into some sort of conservative party talking point is also too much. Not saying they have to become the CBC, but just try to give the appearance of more neutrality.

Also, bring back Bill Watters for the sports/leafs updates at least on the Oakely Show, good radio from a smart man.

February 27, 2019 @ 11:00 AM

Vinnie

What about Cam and his End Cut segment with Oakley ? Has that also disappeared?

February 27, 2019 @ 11:38 AM

RadioReject

Interesting, Kelly Cutrara just revealed the new format.

Staff and Supriya - unchanged
Kelly and Chris take over 9-noon
Alan Carter Noon-1
Jeff McArthur returns for an hour or two
Oakley unchanged

February 27, 2019 @ 2:10 PM

Bettina

640 is a mess ... Why can't they just keep people on the air. All of them are fine. Ever since they let Lou and Cam go I can no longer listen to them. Luckily my Sony SW7600 radio has great sensitivity and I can tune in some US stations, especially at night.

BTW ... Lou Schizas is sort of back but on a leash. He does the business news on CHML - 900Khz. No back and forth with the host though .. just the facts. Perhaps if he does well he might be allowed back on with John Oakley.

February 27, 2019 @ 2:44 PM

meslippery

Awesome birthday gift March 4,. 3hrs. of Kelly Cutrara. Thank You

February 27, 2019 @ 2:47 PM

@Kevin

I have a show of my own!

February 27, 2019 @ 6:46 PM

Kevin

Really Mike? I guess I stand corrected. Where and when do we find you?
Apologies.

February 27, 2019 @ 9:41 PM

@Kevin

It's called Toronto Mike'd and you'd love it.

Search for Toronto Mike'd wherever you get your podcasts.

February 27, 2019 @ 10:29 PM

P.E.Islander3

Supriya has to go..... I cringe everytime I hear her fake laugh and Kermit sounding voice. I'm old school...... bring back Oakley in the morning with Staford mid morning by himself. If it's not broke don't fix it. Not sure why they made the changes in the first place.

February 28, 2019 @ 5:21 PM

Female Oakvillian

Well the changes are good enjoy Kelly ,Alex P ,Stafford ,John Oakley and Peter Sherman ,Arlene . These folks are great no need to keep the others around

February 28, 2019 @ 5:46 PM

Neo

This listeners take on AM640 hosts and guest hosts in no particular order.

>Jeff McArthur? The stuffiest man on radio, please no! Just keep your TV gig.
>Arlene Bynon? Can she speak like a normal person? Not sexy or velvety, swallows her microphone
but is well-informed and opinionated.
>Charles Adler? Matt Gurneys boring mentor.
>Alan Carter? Global's Ken doll but time will tell.
>Drex Wilcomes? Says he's not a lefty but sure sounds like one otherwise good insomniac radio.
>Supriya Dwivedi? Nails on a blackboard, the worst voice on radio without question.
>Mike Stafford? Has gone to a place where boners die but still an AM640 pillar, stop smoking!,
your laugh sounds like your lungs are burnt toast.
>John Oakley? The best damn radio host in Canada period.
>Alex Pieson? A woman with balls, great host.
>Kelly Cutrara? Entertaining at times, listenable.
>Weekend and Holiday programming? Absolutely awful infomercials.
Finally, got this off my mind, Thanks for the forum Toronto Mike.

March 1, 2019 @ 7:42 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Speaking of ladies with balls, AC/DC's "She's Got Balls" is one helluva of a fantastic jam!

March 1, 2019 @ 9:15 AM

Spike

Lady with balls is synonymous with Kelly Cutrara. I remember when Kelly covered Stafford and she challenged Lousy Lou when he was praising Trump. Lou responded by telling Kelly "you're just a fill in'. Well, Kelly now has an extra hour, and Schifoso Schizas is somewhere in unhappy capitailist world.

Stafford has become a dick, he responds to emails in his stale "Loogan" voice; most emailers are grown
adults, not teenage step kids. Maybe time to trade in the Du Maurier's for a pipe and rocking chair and start yelling at the kids to get off your lawn.

Supriya's voice makes my ears bleed. One more lawyer/doctor/Quebec story will give my eat drums scars.

Oakly is same old same. I'm tired of his Sun and Post media right wing nuts. Maybe time to start broadcasting his show from the Empire Club.

Alex, Fox network awaits you; ditto for Adler

Arleen, maybe a spot on phone sex radio.

McArthur, too pretentious; you ain't all that Jeff.

Alan Carter who; and who cares??

I feel bad for Matt, although I wasn't a fan. I think Corus threw him into the Lions cage and doomed to fail.
Wishing you all the best Matt, hope you land on your feet.

March 2, 2019 @ 1:12 PM

Oakviller

Alan Carter 12-1, what a bore fest!! He's Matt ver 2.0. Who thought this was the right move? McArthur is a tad better but still nothing really engaging. 640 afternoon is still a mess until Oakley takes over at 3 pm. I see more changes in the near future.

March 5, 2019 @ 12:18 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Bettina, thanks for the Lou update!

March 5, 2019 @ 8:23 PM

Rusty Bedsprings

I heard McAurthur on the radio the other day and my PTSD kicked in from when he was on a few years ago.

March 6, 2019 @ 12:19 PM

Al Newman

Supriya Keep on crushing it - Dig your voice and love your intellect and sense of humour.
You and Stafford are fun to listen to & makes the morning drive to work easy.
and John Oakley in the afternoon is the voice of sanity and reason, always on point.
Its disappointing that some of the posts here seem rather abusive and negative / Perhaps a newspaper would suit them better.

March 10, 2019 @ 12:19 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Mark your calendars, everybody. Finally some unabashed, love and support for Supriya, and with no
snarky pseudonym used!! (Like I should even talk!!)

March 10, 2019 @ 2:07 PM

Mike Hawkisitczy.

Since Global has "crop dusted" AM640 with their style of radio, and how they want it to be, it has essentially all gone down hill. Mike Stafford can no longer be the radio host he wants to be, because he now has certain "parameters" that he needs to work in, and i feel it by listening to him. He can't be the host he ultimately wants to be, whereas he had those freedoms when it was just Talk Radio AM640. Mike is the only cement holding him and Supriya together. when she is solo...i don't listen ...at all.
If they get rid of him, I'm done with Am640. Stop messing with the show people. It was better when it was Talk Radio. Global News Radio??? what the hell did you do to the format?

When i listened to Matt Gurney in the 10 am slot, while driving down the 404, he just wouldn't stop talking about his experiences, or his opinions on certain matters, and his gums wouldn't stop flappin with the "Shpeil" he just spews forth for 3 minutes, and I more often than not asking myself ...what was the topic again?.
John Oakley is a class act. I like that Peter Sherman is doing his thing. Tasha Kerridan? It always sounded like she was doing blow the night before, and that her nasal passages were clogged. I found she was another one who couldn't control her gums flappin too long, and she seemed to enjoy listening to herself talk a bit much.
I like listening to Kelly Cutrara, and find that she is still holding her own on her show, which is probably why they extended her to 3 hours in the morning slot.

Adios Matt ....you did it to yourself.

March 12, 2019 @ 10:41 PM

Neo

Some great comments, do you think anyone with any programming influence reads Toronto Mike Podcasts?
I hope so!
Hey Corus, let AM640 out of the politically correct clutches of Global News.
If I hear one more "My Pillow" commercial I'll puke, I guess advertising dollars are way down at Global.

March 13, 2019 @ 7:42 AM

PDF

Separate promo codes for all the hosts...Stanford and Oakley never advertised it, I swear they used the My Pillow ads to judge listener attendance and then shuffled the slots and personalities accordingly...since the shuffle you don't hear near as many Pillow ads...

March 13, 2019 @ 9:46 AM

Jordan

Wtf were you pencil pushers thinking bringing Jeff back?! He’s the only person on the planet that says “ah” more than Justin Trudeau!
Make stafford solo
Keep kelly and Alex
Rest... fill your space

March 13, 2019 @ 10:23 AM

Em

Matt Gurney was an arrogant know it all, but he was better than this loser Ed Keenan!

March 14, 2019 @ 12:37 PM

Stephan

Sorry to see Matt gone. I was a long time 1010 morning listener but found myself tuning into Matt on 640 morning most of the time once his show time changed. Too bad.... guess it’s back to 1010.

March 18, 2019 @ 9:29 AM

craig

I think the consensus among the intelligent listeners is pretty much the same...Mike Stafford is great but let him do what he does best...by himself...9:00 slot is probably the best..oakley is oakley always will be..great command of the english language. Kelly is refreshing and she knows where the talent lies...ask her about Stafford. Matt and Supriya...not sure what she adds and she definitely takes away from Stafford but I think their show was an ok early morning combo. WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY did you bring Jeff McArthur back. I was so happy when he moved on. Now I have to change the channel again. I kind of miss Lou and his crazy laugh..also he had some great insights. Tasha Kerridan always sounded like a guest host, she won't be missed by me. I wonder if the decision makers actually listen to their own station. Back when Bill Carroll was there...that was a pretty good line up ( except for McArthur) all day.Stafford's too early for me...will probably still listen to Kelly and Oakley but that is probably it. Hey anyone know where I can get a good pillow to help me sleep?

March 18, 2019 @ 4:30 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@ Craig, Sleep Country. Lou is back on CHML in Hamilton , around 7.50 am, unfortunately he doesn't get to converse with the on air hosts, man I miss his guffah/laugh.

March 19, 2019 @ 10:08 PM

Jack flash

There was a time when talk radio in Toronto was good. That time has long gone. In my opinion most of the on air personalities @ am640 and cfrb1010 should be fired. They are too boring. I like Jerry Agar, Stafford, Jim Richards and Ryan & Jay. Bring back the Motts and Mike Bullard.

March 20, 2019 @ 12:55 AM

Jupiter

Long time listener.

Stafford must go back to solo, Kelly, I have problems with women trying to sound like broads, Sherman is great when he wanders off political correctness, the TV guys should stick to TV, Berkowitz a winner but too honest, too controversial for todays powder puff audiences, Mark Steyn would rock but 640 loses all its left leaning listeners. John Oakley is the mainstay and Alex compliments him coming after. Roy Green rules the weekend. Matt lost me when he shied away from possibility the Danforth shooting could be a terrorist attack. Supriya and Stafford together I don't get it.

March 20, 2019 @ 4:03 PM

Spike

Bettina informs us that Schizas is now working at am900 Hamilton, and hints that Lou has been confined to reading bussiness report tickers by writing, he's "sort of on a leash", (translation, no more self promoting, and borderline racist BS). Rick in Oakville writes he misses Lou's "guffah (guffaw) laugh", (translation, phoney laugh).
Matt Gurney, love him or not, at least he went out like a class act. Lou on the other hand went on Toronto Mike's podcast talking big, (after all he's a tough guy from Queens, just ask him) he was hiring a lawyer and getting his piece from Corus. Well, last time I looked Corus owns CHML 900; guess Lou settled for a muzzle and a B market. Soooooo tough.

March 21, 2019 @ 8:09 PM

CourtJester

Just saw this post in a tweet today - late to the party here.

I was very happy to hear Matt was getting a radio gig, but concerned that it was in Agar's time slot (I really like Jerry but was prepared to switch over to Matt).

I shouldn't have been concerned about Jerry; Matt turned out to be, as mentioned above, a sanctimonious, 'superior', arrogant know-it-all, and intolerable to listen to. Thoroughly unlikeable. He's a smart guy (but not anywhere near smart enough not to act all holier-than-thou, apparently), so I hope he learns a valuable lesson and acquires a whole lot of humility. And I do mean a *whole lot*. Matt, you're not nearly as superior as you seem to have been led to believe. But you may be redeemable, if you can drop the contemptuous 'I'm better than everyone else' attitude. Time will tell.

Speaking of sanctimonious and intolerable to listen to, I can't decide who is creepier and more off-putting, Charles Adler or Arlene Bynon. I can't switch off fast enough when either of them are on. I now miss the last hour of Alex's show (and I love Alex) just so I won't have to listen to Adler's creepy sexualized verbal groping of her. How she puts up with it I just don't know.

I really like Oakley, and I can't praise Alex highly enough - she's why I started listening to 640.

Sue-Ann is kooky, and sounds unprofessional, but she really digs out important stories that no-one else does and she was entertaining; in years past I used to switch over just to listen to her segment and hear about her latest dig. You guys were fools to dump her, and at least could have coached her on presentation. Her content more than made up for a less-than-melodic delivery. What a loss.

I prefer to listen to talk radio, but find myself switching over to classical music stations more often these days, just because there's nothing I want to listen to on any of the talk radio stations. Time will tell if any of the recent changes will change my mind.

March 22, 2019 @ 7:36 PM

Bill Johns

It’s a shame Matt is no longer on the air at 640
I think Supria helped bring Matt down in the same way she’s btinging Stafford down now,
When Matt took the time slot from Oakley he changed the morning topics , I miss Matt in the morning and won’t miss Supria when she’s him on maternity leave

March 29, 2019 @ 1:12 AM

Listener of 640

Agree with most of the comments. The morning show Matt with Supriya was awful. I was not surprized that they brought Stafford to improve the quality of this hour. It is very popular time after all and has a lot of competition. Stafford made it much better, but still Supriya is pulling the morning show down. In addition to her poor style as a host, she doesn't have a radio voice . Very irritating pitch. I know this is not her fault, but to remain on radio, she should train her voice. I will not be surprized if she is not back from her maternity leave. I was waiting for Gurney to leave from the minute I heard him. I couldn't listen to his show. He didn't have an opinion, he always likes but not likes, agrees but not agrees, supports but not supports etc. I am not missing him.
Talent and experience is the best on 640. OAKLEY. No competition, very intelligent in conversations with his guests but also with listeners. The rest of the hosts - good and I enjoy listen to everyone.
Just waiting for better morning show.

March 29, 2019 @ 5:21 PM

Listener of 640

Just waiting for better morning show.

March 29, 2019 @ 5:21 PM

640listenerfornow

Was listening to the noon host today. Absolutely clueless and condesending at the same time.

April 3, 2019 @ 1:26 PM

Jim

Glad to see him go

April 6, 2019 @ 1:05 PM

Jim

The only guy on radio that makes a statement and takes 10 mins to explain why !!!!!! Lol

April 6, 2019 @ 1:08 PM

jockey

Matt Gurney was snooze radio.

Next up, Supriya Dwivedi. She is weighing down and drowning Stafford.
The show has become a snore-fest because the pace of the show is slowed down by Supriyas inability to express a thought in under 10 mins.

I only really tune in now when Mike Stafford is flying solo.

Please Bring back Mike Stafford solo with a callin show. The exchanges with Mike and callers were awesome!

April 9, 2019 @ 9:45 PM