Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Dr. Seymour Light

This past Wednesday, I was driving in a residential area, and came up to a three way stop. As I was approaching the stop sign, I passed a cyclist, and to my right was a stopped car turning right, who had the right of way.
As I stopped, and the car on my right made his turn, the cyclist blew right through the stop sign, and had to swerve dramatically to avoid being hit by the car turning. The cyclist stopped (as did the car) and was berating the car driver with all sorts of language.
I do not know cycling rules, but I assume cyclists must obey all road rules car drivers do if they are travelling on public roads. Am I correct, just curious.

August 25, 2017 @ 8:59 AM

markosaar

Yes Dr. Seymour Light, cyclists are supposed to obey the same signals. Don't know where that jackass gets off berating someone for their own mistake.

In other cycling-related news, the tears about the Woodbine lanes are delicious:

August 25, 2017 @ 9:11 AM

Rob J

@ Dr Light

Wow! What a harrowing urban nightmare! Thank all that is holy that you survived this crippling trauma. At least the weekend's nearly here, giving you time to reset your body and mind. I passionately hope you never in a million years experience anything close to this again! Maybe look into buying a fainting couch?

August 25, 2017 @ 9:16 AM

Ryan G

I went and saw the new Planet of the Apes in 3D. I only saw it in 3D cuz that's the only one that was playing at the time i wanted to go. Planet of the Apes in 3D does not need to be in 3D. 2D is more than enough, especially since we got a wooden Woody Harrelson performance in 1D, where he does his best to pull off Marlon Brando's Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now.

August 25, 2017 @ 10:03 AM

James Edgar

Happy Friday.

After what was almost a month of vacation from work my motivation to get things done a work is seriously compromised. And at home too as my wife won't be home until Sunday !

According to my favourite lexicographer and etymologist Susie Dent my "Scurryfunging' is manically tidying before visitors arrive. I will be doing that Sunday just before i pick her up from the Airport is my prediction.

Yes Dr light Cyclists are supposed to obey the rules of the road. Most don't in my observations both driving and Cycling. I have been guilty of blowing stops signs myself cycling i'm embarrassed to say. I certainly wouldn't have given the driver attitude in that situation but then I wouldn't have blown the stop sign if there were cars there. I really do think we should as a society be encouraging cycling both for health and environmental reasons but we have to constantly remind people that they have responsibilities and enforce them.

While in France last week we were on the Mediterranean coast. By the beach there's a walking and bike path . The bike path is clearly marked for 10 Km an Hour and where there are crosswalks to cross the road there are also crosswalks on the bike path giving pedestrians right of way in the crosswalks. that works as well in France as it would here (or does on the MG trail i think) Cyclists ignore the limits and if you stand in the the crosswalk waiting to cross the street you better be looking both ways frequently of you might just get run over. My long over due point being cyclists the world over pretty much ride the same as so many (not all of course but a significant percentage) do here.

The scooters in France are both numerous and ridden by some real idiots with way more entitlement attitude that even the cyclists. Especially the pizza delivery guys.

August 25, 2017 @ 10:15 AM

Dr. Seymour Light

@Rob J – Ahh, so you were the cyclist….
Relax dude, simply asking a question, I have no idea of cyclist’s rules and was just curious.

August 25, 2017 @ 10:21 AM

markosaar

The cycling infrastructure/rules which are completely broken here are dashed bike lanes at intersections.

Cars are supposed to take the bike lane to turn right when the lane is dashed, but no one knows this. And I don't know that I'd even recommend drivers try it because I've several times seen idiot cyclists flip their shit at them for doing what the law says they should.

August 25, 2017 @ 10:31 AM

jilly

I could not get any cheap Shania tickets :( so I am bummed.

August 25, 2017 @ 10:37 AM

Rob J

@ Dr Light
Sorry you had to had to be the target of that sarcasm tsunami. Everyone should obey the rules of the road.

August 25, 2017 @ 11:04 AM

elvis

I'm on a massive Oasis kick. Like Alice in Chains, I've grown to appreciate them so much more now than when they were big on the radio.

August 25, 2017 @ 11:59 AM

markosaar

In the 90s when the media was making a big deal out of Oasis vs. Blur, I was an Oasis fan. Much later I came to appreciate Blur and much prefer them nowadays.

August 25, 2017 @ 1:01 PM

Dawn Keibals

@ Dr Light

Try Driving westbound on The Lakeshore anywhere between The Humber & Winston Churchhill in Mississauga on a Saturday or Sunday before noon...

ALL the cyclists (and YES they are ALL adults) believe red lights are not ment for them.
It is really disgusting and dangerous !!!!
ALL brought on by bikers REFUSING to obey the rules of the road.

RED light...com'on !!!

August 25, 2017 @ 2:35 PM

Anonymous

I tried to find Open Mike today and I did

August 25, 2017 @ 2:37 PM

Anonymous

HI open Mike

August 25, 2017 @ 2:58 PM

Rob J

With the fall sports season imminent, it's time to again ask the unanswerable question: "Which group is dumber overall, NHL general managers or NFL head coaches?"

August 25, 2017 @ 3:17 PM

Rob J

Disclaimer: my previous post is in no way an indictment of the coach and-or GM of your favourite team. Your team has exceptional men at the helm and is sure to win the championship this season and beyond.

August 25, 2017 @ 3:48 PM

Steven

@Dr. Seymour Light

Best to ignore Rob J. I liked him on here when he started posting 1-2 years ago. He was more humble and cool back then. Like I said at the time, he was a guy Id like to have a beer with.

Lately he seems to be turning back to his troll twitter persona (Im not sure if he is still on there). I remember Toronto Mike saying how much he hates that persona, well I agree, it makes Rob J come off as a dick, and Im not sure that he is. I miss that other guy, he was cool. This Rob J isn't so much.

August 25, 2017 @ 4:06 PM

Rob J

@ Steven
Well you posted my twitter handle on the TSM board last summer. Stay on the case! Here's a hint: the fat man flies at midnight.

August 25, 2017 @ 4:15 PM

Rob J

Sorry, the thought of Steven combing through twitter trying to find me (and then do what?) is putting a huge grin on my face. I feel badly that I'm trapped in his head and that he's spent time this summer thinking of me and analyzing my posts.

August 25, 2017 @ 4:31 PM

Steven

Whats the TSM board? Steven happens to be one of the most common names in the world, as is Rob, perhaps you are mistaken here.

Point remains, I miss the non troll Rob, he was a good guy, even you said you needed to take a break from trolling after Mike called you out. I don't get the need to be antagonistic, whats the purpose?

August 25, 2017 @ 4:40 PM

Rob J

You win, Steven! Have a lovely weekend.

August 25, 2017 @ 4:44 PM

Sean

Rob,

What's wrong with just being decent to everyone? Do what you want but I'll never understand the love of being a jerk to people.

August 25, 2017 @ 4:56 PM

Rob J

You win, Sean! Have a lovely weekend.

August 25, 2017 @ 5:11 PM

andrew

Where's Cheryl's comment today about daily sports updates with out of country teams?
Maybe she is still trying to find the Friday Open Mike.

August 25, 2017 @ 5:26 PM

Rob J

Can hardly wait to read Cheryl's thoughts on me! I feel like I've stumbled into a Dean Martin Celebrity Roast

August 25, 2017 @ 5:31 PM

Deheryl

Well my Tim Horton's p-wee softball team won again last night Judy hit a double also my Burlington bantam boys lacrosse team won also Peety had 2 goals and steevie was great in goal.
My favorite hockey team the Las Vegas Golden Showers had a inersquad game yesterday they both won that was good the Redskins and Rams and Dollfins will win this year i no for sure.
If they dont win then I will pick 7 other teams and they will win

August 25, 2017 @ 7:03 PM

Urooj Islam

Haha!

August 25, 2017 @ 9:25 PM

Cheryl

I am here. I couldn't find the open Mike yesterday morning. Then I had things to do and I forgot to look later, but found it today. I am here. How about those Indians. They beat Chris Sale and the Redsox on Thursday, but they also won yesterday. That's great. They had a shutout yesterday with a homer by Franky Lindor. How about those Orioles. Great win yesterday. Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo homered. Also my Diamondbacks won. That's great with Paul Goldschmidt hitting a homer. I wonder why the open Mikes get hidden sometimes and I can't find them.

August 26, 2017 @ 8:09 AM

JJ

So the trickle down message of racism has filtered up to Ontario. Who the FK do the Ontario Elementary Teachers think they are asking the govt to remove John A MacDonald from all their schools & rename them. The country first PM, whether u like him or not, is history. You learn from history not remove it.

At least Wynne shut them down.

Society is becoming like little kids. 1 kid does it then all the others follow.

August 26, 2017 @ 11:59 AM

andrew

Mayweather & McGregor has got to be the most hyped sports event since the Battle of the Sexes - Bobby Riggs & Billy Jean King in early 70's. A North American tour to promote this fiasco as a show between them both in different cities putting more $ their pockets & the media loves it.
This is not sports as more of a circus. Others may disagree but JMO.

August 26, 2017 @ 1:01 PM

Rob J

I imagine 'Steven' is still searching for me on twitter. I don't think I've been stalked online before. Do these things ever end in the victim being stalked in real life? So many crazies out there.

August 26, 2017 @ 2:58 PM

As I see it, there is an undefeated boxer boxing a guy who has never had a professional boxing match.

It's a gimmick... lots of curiosity, but shouldn't be much of a boxing match.

August 26, 2017 @ 3:45 PM

Abner

@ Cheryl.. Ya that Toronto Mike is a real Pr ick He runs and maintains a website,YET he lets everybody in the WORLD find it no problem EXCEPT you..was there nothing else to complain about today??
My trainer is a goof !!!

August 26, 2017 @ 4:46 PM

Reminder: be nice to Cheryl.

Sincerely,
The Management

August 26, 2017 @ 5:05 PM

chris

We ALL Love Cheryl.
She is Special.

August 26, 2017 @ 5:11 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@JJ, saw that on the CBC news website, judging people from our past on our current values etc., on values 150 years ago makes me shake my head.

August 26, 2017 @ 7:12 PM

Urooj Islam

Man, I am hoping and praying so hard for a Cheryl recap of Mayweather/McGregor tomorrow morning.

It would make my weekend.

August 26, 2017 @ 8:00 PM

Cheryl

How about those Indians. That's great. Homers by Roberto Perez, Edwin Encarnacion, and Carlos Santana. Let's win today as well. How about those Orioles. Kevin Gausman pitched a gem. Homers by Jonathan Schoop and Manny Machado. My Diamondbacks won yesterday as well. Homers by JD Martinez again and AJ Polak. Football was great as well. My Ravens, Browns, and Cardinals all won. My Ravens or Browns haven't lost a game yet. My Cardinals lost one. Well, it's true. Sometimes the open Mikes hide for some reason.

August 27, 2017 @ 8:38 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Glad to see that there will be three new episodes of Toronto Mike this week.
Anyone as hardworking as Mike deserves a break/vacation, but I have been
seriously going through podcast withdrawal!! Hopefully some Kick Out The Jams
action will be included: KOTJ naysayers Be Jammed!!

August 27, 2017 @ 2:48 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

A deep dive with Jay Onrait and KOTJs with Larry Fedoruk and Sophia J!

August 27, 2017 @ 2:50 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
Not sure of your religious affiliation (if any), but Bless You in advance,
for the forthcoming digital nourishment that we, your most humble flock,
are about to receive!!

August 27, 2017 @ 2:58 PM

Urooj Islam

I thought Dan and Jay were coming in together?

August 27, 2017 @ 4:15 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

Happy atheist over here. :)

August 27, 2017 @ 6:02 PM

@Urooj Islam

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

August 27, 2017 @ 6:03 PM

Urooj Islam

That's unfortunate but I am still excited to hear Jay, especially the story surrounding the move to FS1, the catastrophic failure there and subsequent return to TSN.

August 27, 2017 @ 8:44 PM

Cheryl

How about those Indians. What a win 12 to 0. Homers by Franky Lindor, Carlos Santana, and Yan Gomes. My Orioles also won. How about those Diamondbacks as well with homers by Paul Goldschmidt and JD Martinez. JD Martinez is a hitting machine. It's all awesome. All my teams won Saturday and yesterday.

August 28, 2017 @ 8:42 AM

H.o.E.

Any mention of Oasis makes me think of 'Smoosh' on Mr. Show With Bob and David.

August 28, 2017 @ 10:14 AM

Beatts

Rob J fan here.

I too like to be a sarcastic dick every once in a while. although I have been slacking lately giving Mike a hard time on his choice of clothing for his pics. (Granted, he has been upping his game slightly)

August 28, 2017 @ 10:20 AM

@Beatts

Remember, I have three different The Lost Indie City shirts...

August 28, 2017 @ 10:25 AM

@H.o.E.

Mr. Show is fantastic.

August 28, 2017 @ 10:26 AM

bsmntdwllr73

So once again I made the less than rookie mistake of going down to the CNE
Bandshell to see another classic rock band, Steppenwolf, in performance. Please,
don't get me wrong-the show was great (well, at least the parts that I could enjoy!).
Alas, the crowd was full of your usual amount of rock 'n' roll wastrels: drunken loogans,
spaced-out stoners and just your typical garden variety arseholes! Whatever happened to
respecting your fellow concert goers? I guess I must live in some kind of protective bubble,
but if last night taught me anything, it's that my solemn vow of absolute sobriety is indeed
a good thing!! My one-legged friend was repeatedly almost knocked down and trampled in
the makeshift rock and roll crosswalk created by the unruliest of mobs. To finish, I'd like
to (probably!) misquote the almighty Sloan: "It's not the band I hate, it's their fans!!" Oh well,
at least our resident sports enthusiast appears to be happy this morning!!

August 28, 2017 @ 11:28 AM

Liz

Jay Onrait is quite the storyteller. He doesn't seem to take himself too seriously. Rather, his self-deprecation is pretty clever. He's hilarious, too (based on the podcasts I watched - yes, watched). He goes rogue which automatically kicks up his interview game. I wonder what his current wife is like (he makes the odd throw away joke about dumping his first wife). I bet this one's a firecracker. You'd have to be!

Dan O'Toole? Loves going to Vegas, is constantly screwing up his phones, tries unsuccessfully to reign in Jay and tells funny stories about Peterborough and, his two little daughters.

Bottom line? This pod's going to be strong. Love that it's just Jay - he's the communicator of the two, for sure.

August 28, 2017 @ 4:50 PM

Jay Onrait have been talking about him and Dan coming on since it was announced they were coming back to TSN. I have always talked with Jay, never Dan.

So when it came time to book it, it just so happened that I couldn't get Dan... yet. So this week it's just Jay, and eventually Dan, but I'm okay with it.

I'll just have to test out the new swing arm with Splash and Boots.

August 28, 2017 @ 7:19 PM

Liz

I re-listened to Mike Stafford's episode on the way home tonight. Not only a good guy but brilliant, too.

August 28, 2017 @ 7:32 PM

@Liz

Mike's booked to come back to kick out the jams in September!

August 28, 2017 @ 7:36 PM

H.o.E.

This was one of the best sketches from Mr. Show.

August 28, 2017 @ 8:34 PM

markosaar

@H.o.E.,

I happened to see a pretty exceptional band called Smoosh open 11 years ago for the Eels. They were three girls aged something like 8-14.

August 28, 2017 @ 10:12 PM

Cheryl

How about those Indians again. Great win. Jose Ramirez hit two home runs. Also homers by Franky Lindor and Carlos Santana. That's awesome. Corey Kluber pitched a gem. How about those Orioles. Great game with Adam Jones hitting a home run. It was another awesome night. My Diamondbacks had the night off.

August 29, 2017 @ 6:58 AM

Urooj Islam

The ACC is the Scotiabank Arena next year?

No thanks!

August 29, 2017 @ 3:01 PM

Re: the ACC name change next summer... I'm suggesting we call it The Cash Box. Maple Leaf Gardens used to be called the Carlton Street Cashbox.

August 29, 2017 @ 3:28 PM

Jason from Sudbury

The Eels...there's a band I haven't heard in ages.

August 29, 2017 @ 10:14 PM

Cheryl

My Indians got rained out last night. Great Orioles win though. Two homers by Manny Machado with one by Jonathan Schoop and another by Wellington Castillo. My Diamondbacks also won with homers by AJ Polak and Paul Goldschmidt. Well, my Indians play a doubleheader today because of the rainout. There have been so many rainouts these days.

August 30, 2017 @ 8:24 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
Thanks for posting that the next KOTJ episode will be unveiled tomorrow.
I was prepared to hang out in the library until closing time tonight filled
with breathless sweaty anticipation!!

August 30, 2017 @ 4:46 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I'll post it first thing tomorrow morning. It's pretty crazy... Sophia delivers breaking news, we encounter a couple of massive coincidences and she kicks the hell out of her jams.

August 30, 2017 @ 4:49 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
I think I may need to hang/hide out in the library washroom overnight so that
I can hear it as soon as it is posted in the morning!! Perhaps one day I will
finally join the 21st century and actually use my second-hand tablet!
Consider me highly-intrigued!!

August 30, 2017 @ 4:53 PM

markosaar

@Jason from Sudbury,

The Eels are still really great, and have fantastic live shows.

August 31, 2017 @ 1:42 AM

GreyCountyMike

@Beatts,

Difference between having fun with someone and being mean spirited anonymously. He can do what he wants, but if thats his mode of fun, that doesn't speak well.

August 31, 2017 @ 7:28 AM

Cheryl

Well, I hate capchas. I was going to donate to the Terry Fox run, but I can't because of the stupid capcha. This is an accessibility issue. Get rid of the things. There should be a way to donate by phone instead. Someone should discuss this issue to the Terry Fox Foundation. Terry Fox was disabled himself with only one leg so he should not have accessibility issues on his donation site. Well, how about those Indians? Two wins in a doubleheader. The first one was really close though. The second one was not so close. Homers in the second one were by Edwin Encarnacion, Franky Lindor, and Yan Gomes. My Orioles won last night as well. Homers by Trey Mancini, Wellington Castillo, Manny Machado, and Craig Gentry. My Diamondbacks also won. Another Paul Goldschmidt homer. Baseball is wonderful. My Ravens, Cardinals, and Browns will win tonight.

August 31, 2017 @ 9:06 AM

dale

RIP Skip Prokop drummer from Lighthouse.
A talent that wasn't recognized in Canadian Music by many as a great writer, singer & musician.
1 of the best concerts I ever saw in late 70's at Ontario Place.

August 31, 2017 @ 9:20 PM