White Knuckled Elation: Seeing Gold for Canada

Other than high school, my son's hockey and baseball house league and my own slo-pitch and hockey championships, I've never seen a sports final live in person.

I wasn't at the dome when Joe Carter touched them all in '93, I've never been alive for a Maple Leaf Stanley Cup game, and the Raptors have never made it out of the second round. I've never attended a Grey Cup, a Vanier Cup, a Memorial Cup or whatever the lacrosse league calls their championship. The most prominent trophy I had ever seen decided in person was the Prentice Cup, which I saw won by Michael Power's high school baseball team in '93.

But tonight that all changed. I was at an electric and jam-packed ACC for Canada vs. Russia and watched my team win gold. What was once a 5-1 laugher quickly morphed into an intense, white-knuckled nail-biter as we barely held on for a 5-4 win. But we did win, and it was amazing.

I didn't know the ACC could get so loud and have such energy. Every seat was filled at the start of the first period with a jersey-wearing hockey fan. It was absolutely amazing.

I must give a monster thanks to Telus who not only gave me the ticket so I could see this amazing game, but also gave me the jersey I'm wearing in the pic below. Thank you for a most excellent night I'll never forget.

Canada vs.  Russia

Here are a few other pics I took, of the final face-off late in the third, the gold medal celebration and the singing of O Canada.

Canada vs.  Russia

Canada vs.  Russia

Canada vs.  Russia

Liz

@Mike @The Gold Game

Being at the ACC last night was absolutely wild. It's a game I'll never forget. For some reason I really wanted to be at the semi-final game and thanks to some decent last-minute Stub-Hub tickets, Paul and I could make it. We bought the tickets 40 minutes before puck drop. One perk of my new living situation. UberX got us there for under $10.00 with tip.

So happy for you - I know you love this tournament and Canada's game. Have fun with Erin on the radio in the morning. I'll be taking Paul back to university - classes resume on Wednesday. Almost 8,000 are without power in the surrounding Peterborough area. Not sure why.

But, winter in Canada brings us the Juniors, freezing rain and possibilities made more hopeful because it's January.

January 6, 2015 @ 12:21 AM

@Liz

Thanks!

I'm on at 8:15 - 8:20 with Erin and Mike: http://player.chfi.com/

January 6, 2015 @ 7:57 AM

this guest

What a fantastic game that must have been
to see! Wow!
What a holiday bonus!

January 6, 2015 @ 8:09 AM

James Edgar

I'm jealous! And my wife who works for telus is a little pissed. :) Not that she'd ever get tickets anyway but still....

January 6, 2015 @ 9:10 AM

Ryan G / hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

Dear Jackasses,
1. Do not start prematurely celebrating a gold medal by starting the wave in the 2nd period. Our opponent is Russia. FUCKING RUSSIA.

2. It was particularly bad last night, but applies to Leaf games too. If you're sitting in the first few rows of the arena in front of the main cameras, just stay the hell in your seat and watch the game. Nobody cares that you're on TV, and you're disrupting the game's enjoyment for every other person around you and the folks watching on television. Don't be a dick. Just don't.

January 6, 2015 @ 9:16 AM

Jason C

Hell of a game! Great pics Mike!

January 6, 2015 @ 9:31 AM

Argie

Amen Ryan!

Mike, it was 5-1 ya know. Its Ok you unfollowed me months ago.

January 6, 2015 @ 9:37 AM

@Argie

Yet I read every comment you post here. :)

January 6, 2015 @ 9:45 AM

Argie

@Mike
I guess my comments are like a traffic accident. You know you shouldn't look, but you can't help yourself.

January 6, 2015 @ 9:52 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Heluva game! Who knew watching the world juniors could be so stressful though eh? Man, I don't know, had Russia got 1 or 2 more good shots in there, the outcome could be much different. Happy we got gold though and enjoyed the celebrations after the game.

January 6, 2015 @ 10:07 AM

Boomer

@Mike
I too am jealous of you. I went down Friday night and watched the first period from the walkway above Real Sports looking through the glass of an open doorway of one of the corporate boxes. I could clearly see the video screen of the clock at centre ice and also could see Fucale. The plan was to go scalp tickets after the first period and the leeches still were asking $125.00 AFTER the first. I went to a packed Real Sports to watch the rest of the game and have a few beers. Great atmosphere.

@Ryan G
Amen too on comment #2. Sit down and watch the game arsehole. What are you 14?

January 6, 2015 @ 10:41 AM

519 Rob

I was at the OHL finals last year when Guelph beat North Bay.
That was an electric moment. Maybe not World Jr Gold, but still pretty freaking awesome.

I had goose bumps as the last few seconds clicked off the clock.

January 6, 2015 @ 1:22 PM

Rick C in Oakville

You made some great points with Erin and Mike this morning. We forget these kids are just 17 years old or there abouts, and we start putting NHL type expectations on them.

January 6, 2015 @ 6:25 PM