Rogers Hockey: What Do We Think?

A few months into a 12-year contract, I thought I'd take the pulse of this nation's hockey viewers and learn what you think Rogers Hockey telecasts thus far.

rogers

What's working? What's not? What would you change?

Argie

What's working? Plenty of games to watch. If you're a hardcore fan and/or in need of a life, games and more games are available to you.

What's not? Strombo, Romanuk and Cox

What would you change? *same as above*

January 5, 2015 @ 10:23 AM

@Argie

What don't you like about Romanuk?

He's actually my second favourite there. If I can't have Bob Cole, I'll take Romanuk.

January 5, 2015 @ 10:27 AM

Argie

@Mike
I know he's trying to convey excitement but he needs to dial it back a bit. I've always enjoyed the way Hughson calls the game - yes, he's excited but he's not about to have a cardiac arrest.

As for Cole, he's over 80 for God's sake. The game passed him by about 20 years ago.

January 5, 2015 @ 10:41 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

I don't usually watch the pre-game chatter and rarely will I listen between periods, with the exception of Don Cherry on Saturday nights. I tune in at 7:08 p.m. for the 7 o'clock games. I'm finding it harder and harder to care about the Leafs in their current state. Unless the commentators can influence the quality of the product on the ice, the who's and the where's of how the game is broadcast doesn't impact my viewing habits at all. So mark me down as indifferent.

January 5, 2015 @ 10:42 AM

paul

Hey MIke...!
For me....I am/was an 'old school' guy. Love Ron and Don....didnt see any need to change any of it.
At first...while loving Strombo ....I hated it.....h a t e d ...it. There is the usual Leaf -factor, however 'we' have learned to ignore that.
After some time...........I am good with it.. Love all the games /options. I enjoy them moving the guys around,,,,and as you mentioned...love Romanuk. L O V E. Having him back just shows how much he was missed while he was away.
George is coming around....and the usual stuff seems to apply again...PJ Stock is an idiot. I dont care if Bob Cole is 180,,,,he IS the man.

GO HABS GO!

January 5, 2015 @ 10:55 AM

@paul

I agreed with you on everything until "go habs go".

January 5, 2015 @ 11:01 AM

Stan

I find it difficult to find the substance with so much style. Seems very American to me.

January 5, 2015 @ 11:07 AM

I'm with Nigel Trousershrapnel (for once!)...

I tune in for the HD feed. Ideally, I get Bob Cole, because he makes games better for me, but really I just need the game.

Then, I do enjoy hearing what Don Cherry has to say. I don't miss that.

Otherwise, I don't really care about the pre-game and post-game and intermission stuff. I usually do other things when the game and Don's not on.

January 5, 2015 @ 11:10 AM

Al Reda

I would change Strombo's pants.

Just kidding... I'd fire Glenn Healey.

January 5, 2015 @ 11:20 AM

mrmojorisinca

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL..

I never really watch anything but the actual Game, and thought would change with Strombo, but it hasn't..in the end I like the sport and not people who use to play or love the game talk about it..I do like the interviews of current and past players though (Crosby, Towes, Lunquist interview was pretty good) that take place in studio or not part of the Game.. I've always like hearing pro athletes and musicians thoughts..unless they are generic questions and answers then whats the point (ie, intermission interviews)

January 5, 2015 @ 11:42 AM

@mrmojorisinca

I think Strombo's a very good interviewer. He seems interested in his subjects, is educated and is able to extract interesting details.

I think that's the best way for Rogers Hockey to use Strombo. More interviews like that where the answers are interesting and not "we've got to give 110%" cliches.

January 5, 2015 @ 11:48 AM

Anonymous

I like Strombo, but he should be doing interest segments (ie interviews, behind the scenes, anecdotal pieces) rather than hosting. Being a big hockey fan doesn't equate to hockey experience (and contacts) which I think you need from your main host. It is definitely tough to get the right mix, but I think they should have started him in more of a peripheral role, learning the league from the business side. Maybe Elliotte Friedman would work. Definitely like his work.

I'd axe PJ or try him as an ice level commentator. Cut back on Glenn Healey's time. Both of them offer minimal insight, and offer opinion instead of facts. I would have more Mike Johnson and get Ray Ferraro over from TSN ASAP.

Some of the segments seem to be working better, although I would have introduced them as filler for the later broadcasts. Miss the hot stove segment.

January 5, 2015 @ 12:44 PM

CQ

Completely overlooking Sunday night hockey. Too much 'Once Upon a Time', Throwback Television's Hollywood Hour weekly surprises, and the NFL before even a consideration. Then there is 60 Minutes as well.
Never liked Strombo. Less so after his podcast interview. Not because he plays the race victim card either. Mentioned numerous colleagues and bosses except for CBC's Stewart.
Hopefully the side-by-side option of Ottawa and Montreal Saturday night games might finally alter Leafs Nations' Leafs Only attitude.

January 5, 2015 @ 12:48 PM

Justin

Mike I agree with everything you said. I watch for the game and Ron and Don, not the other pre/post game filler. If I want analysis and discussion I get that mostly from sports radio. I do like the fact that we've been getting less of bland Jim Hughson and more Romanuk/Randorf/Cole, however. Cole is still BY FAR the best and I'll watch a game I don't care about literally just to hear him call it.

January 5, 2015 @ 1:25 PM

Argie

Rogers paid WAY too much money for Strombo to do the occasional puff interview. For that you can get some hot looking female sports reporter who actually believes she's a journalist (but really isn't).

As host you need a moderator, who actually knows hockey, doesn't speak too quickly or suck up to the panelists (i.e. laughing hysterically when they didn't really say anything funny.....). Yes, I'm looking at you Strombo!!!

Obviously Duthie was the guy they wanted but TSN offered him a ton of cash to stay - and he did. Rogers' next move should have been to hire a younger version of Mansbridge. Does that guy exist? Sure, you might have to go to the US to get him though.

Just to prove I'm not sexist, I would hire a qualified woman if she matches the criteria. Oh, and she doesn't have to be totally hot either.

January 5, 2015 @ 1:27 PM

mrmojorisinca

@ Mike

Agreed..Strombo is a good Interviewer..they should do more of the SN360 round table I think..
I just watched another..I think those are conversations people want to hear..sure these guys are millions airs, but they still people, still make mistakes etc..fun to hear..

read what Bono thinks of Bloggers.

January 5, 2015 @ 1:53 PM

4x4 Time

The whole package seems like a giant infomercial and I guess it is necessary for them to use all platforms to try and regain some of the Billions they are spending.

I like Strombo as an interviewer of people with interesting topics to discuss, but as another hockey talking head he seems out of place, not really contributing anything interesting or unique. Maybe I was just expecting too much.

I have not seen any of the Sunday night shows, but the whole concept of “Hometown Hockey” every week may get tiresome to people after a while.

Does anyone know if the ratings so far are up to what Rogers was expecting?

January 5, 2015 @ 2:40 PM

dale

It's still a learning curve for Strombo. He has the talent as a host but asks too many stupid questions during pre game which most watchers know the answer.

Healy, PJ Stock are terrible. Nick Kyperos would be a better fit overall. Positive is more choice games which are available.

Ron & Don - nothing can even come close to their segment. The best.

January 5, 2015 @ 2:41 PM

@4x4 Time

I've only tuned into "Hometown Hockey" when the Leafs have played. At this point in my busy life, my NHL consumption really is the Leafs and the playoffs. (insert joke about how they're mutually exclusive)

I've noticed most of our media now is Bell vs. Rogers. I understand Rogers-owned outlets are pretty much ignoring the World Junior Championships because it's a ratings juggernaut for Bell-owned TSN.

Today, my wife was watching The Social on Bell-owned CTV, and the lead woman actually promoted tonight's game as being on "TSN: where hockey belongs". Really?

January 5, 2015 @ 2:44 PM

NW

I wish they could bring Ward Cornell and Jack Dennett back from the Great Beyond. Or even reunite Dave Hodge with the late Dick Beddoes.

January 5, 2015 @ 4:51 PM

519 Rob

I like it.
Not love, not hate.

I'm not crazy on the set, but maybe that's just the traditionalist in me.

The one guy on the panel I can't stand is PJ Stock. I was honestly shocked when he was retained by the Rogers team for the HNIC broadcast.

As far as Romanuk, I realize how much I missed him when I was watching some of the Spengler Cup.
He's my favourite hockey voice.

January 5, 2015 @ 4:51 PM

Gary

I find the whole thing annoying with a lot of substandard hosts. Strombo is mis-cast (again). Most of the Sportsnet hosts are just annoying to me. Cox, Millard etc....I just don't get it.

I look forward to TSN's regional coverage games. They were and are so much better at it.

The only interesting part are some of the camera shots.

January 5, 2015 @ 6:56 PM

James Edgar

No Idea! I don't make the time to watch LOL

I am interested though so i'm going to see what's happening soon. The problem being watching the leafs looks to be pretty painful at the moment.

January 6, 2015 @ 9:07 AM

Boomer

@paul You had me at "Go Habs Go"! I agree with everything you said.

-Give me Bob Cole, Ron, Don, Hrudey, Kyper, Hughson, Friedman. I like Strombo but prefer Ron in that position.

-I absolutely cannot stand P.J. "how did I get this job and keep it "Stock, Healy, Cox.

January 6, 2015 @ 12:40 PM

Hector

The whole Rogers production is awful, in my opinion. I never liked Sportsnet and their hockey broadcasts are just an extension with some really annoying people.

January 6, 2015 @ 1:55 PM

Anonymous

the good... bob cole, Kelly hrudey, mike Johnson
the bad.... George...think he's a great guy and hard worker but boy is he ever miscast... feel sorry for him that he ends up looking like an awkward mess. literally been in sports bars during intermissions and hear him getting booed until the channel is changed.
the ugly- kypreos, cox, maclean, dave randorf

January 7, 2015 @ 8:14 AM

Paul

Rogers screws it all up. Better this year with Ron back leading broadcasts. On play by play I miss Bowen and can't hear this Randorf over the background noise.
Didn't mind Healy but also miss Hendricks

December 3, 2016 @ 9:54 PM

Paul

Didn't mind Healy but also miss Hendricks

December 3, 2016 @ 9:54 PM

Glenn

Fire Randorf please, please, please! Such a lounge lizard voice, and no clue about hockey. I can't stand to listen to him.
Send Don Cherry and Bob Cole into retirement already. They're like the 'hockey dead.'
Get rid of Kypreos and give Eliotte Freidman way more to do. He's the only one who can string a complete sentence together, and he's way smarter than all the rest of them. Give him the hosting job. Ron MacLean might be alright doing little "Zebra" spots from time to time.

November 4, 2017 @ 10:41 PM