The Great Gordie Howe

The Great Gordie HoweI never had the pleasure of watching Gordie Howe play hockey. As a very young man, however, I read a biography on Wayne Gretzky and learned how Gretzky idolized Howe.

That made Gordie Howe my hero's hero. Here's a wonderful story about The Great Gordie Howe.

Blind Dave

I remember him from the WHA in the 70s. I missed his prime, but at least I got to see him on TV a few times.

My heart is with Gordie and his family.

November 20, 2014 @ 9:17 PM

elvis

Keith is great when it comes to this kind of stuff. His 'tribute' to Jeter was also classic.

November 21, 2014 @ 7:26 AM

Argie

@elvis
I agree on the Olbermann take on Jeter - 100% true. Too bad his political opinions are usually wrong.

November 21, 2014 @ 8:22 AM

Argie

Recently there's been a lot a talk about Eric Lindros not being in the HOF. If he had stayed healthy, he could have been in that Messier/Howe category as a truly top-notch all-round player possessing toughness and skill.

The fact that Cam Neely is in the HOF and Lindros is not only shows you how ridiculous and political that institution is.

November 21, 2014 @ 8:26 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Surprising they didn't show him using a bit more elbow in the video!
Having grown up with the original 6 in the 60's sad to see my old heroes starting to age and pass on. Also means I'm getting old too.

November 21, 2014 @ 8:47 AM

Douglas

I was fortunate enough to see Howe play as a Houston Aero agsinst my then-hometown Winnipeg Jets. Those were hot tickets. Even at a young age, I knew that and really appreciated that my Dad was somehow able to get tickets for those games. That would have been during the 1973-74 to 1975-76 seasons. As far as seeing great hockey live and local goes, in March of 1976 I had the misfortune of the family moving to Toronto. Hockey was never as exciting again.

Well, maybe except for the game where Joe Crozier spun around to flip the bird and tell my brother to F*** off after my brother suggested that Crozier pull the goalie after the NHL Jets, who had just managed to end their record winless streak (38 games?) scored six unanswered goals in minutes. Crozier "missed" and ended up giving PM Pierre Turdeau the bird (somehow fitting) and uttering the "fuddle duddle".

At a house league hockey banquet too long ago, I remember seeing a hockey film that included a clip of Howe and some other player who had been taunting Howe all game. The ref cleared the ice for this player and Howe to go at it. Knowing that Howe would easily clean his clock, the player backed down. I wish I could remember who that other player was.

November 21, 2014 @ 11:34 AM

headsup

Although Howe retired before I was born, he is one of those guys I regret not having the chance to see play. The stories I've heard and things I've read about his career are awe-inspiring. About fifteen years ago, I had the chance to meet Gordie Howe at a sports collectables show. Although I still have the puck he autographed, I will always remember his handshake. When shaking hands, some people try to impress you with a firm grip or an almost-violent jerk, I could just feel the brute power and strength that Howe had even in his early seventies. He is certainly one of Canada's greatest athletes, but also a man of strength and integrity. All the best to the Howe family at this sad time.

November 21, 2014 @ 5:05 PM