Friday Open Mike

Open MikeWelcome to this week's Friday Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

McNulty

I liked the story yesterday about the Sept 4, 1984 election. It was a rout. The Liberals were destroyed and interim leader, John Turner became a footnote that most people forget about. Who would have guessed that 9 years later the same party would face an even more crushing defeat? Canadian politics are fascinating. I don’t remember the 1984 election. I was 10. I was more concerned about what new GI Joe figures were coming out for Christmas. But by 1993, I was way more into politics and I remembered casting my first vote for the PC candidate. Yes, I voted PC. Little did I know that they would lose 154 seats.

I mention this because I always think we have become so much more polarized today and I remember events like this. We just saw the PCs in Ontario get destroyed by the most vulnerable Liberal government in years. And people are furious. We see Rob Ford tracking in the Toronto election. People are astounded (I admit I am one). And next year we have a Federal election again. Harper has had a pretty easy ride the last few years. Weak opposition from the Liberals and a bizarre surge thanks to Jack have made him vulnerable next year. Dislike Trudeau as much as you want but he is a far more formidable opponent than Dion or the John Kerry look-a-like. And Mulcair is a shadow of what Jack was. Again, you can hate Jack’s politics (I did) but he resonated with people and they supported him. This won’t happen next year for the NDP. All of this makes Harper weak and Trudeau strong. And I know many commenters here will claim Trudeau is weak and not a leader and not ready. Don’t be a fool and underestimate him and the Liberals. Long term Federal governments are always weak in Canada.

My point? It’s going to be a fun year for political junkies.

September 5, 2014 @ 8:54 AM

Lyle Lanley

I think Harper will be surprised by Trudeau's Liberals.

I don't think anyone will be surprised when Ford loses.

Good fun indeed!

September 5, 2014 @ 9:10 AM

Al Reda

Colby Fucking Rasmus!

September 5, 2014 @ 9:16 AM

Philly-bob

I don't think it's far fetched to think JT will win, he's young, charismatic and an alternative to Harper if you don't like him. I just think we'll be in deep shit if it happens......

September 5, 2014 @ 9:19 AM

Argie

@Al
The Jays are pulling a "Leaf" here by winning after their fans have given up on them. In a few weeks, just as we jump back on the bandwagon, they'll crash it into a ditch.

September 5, 2014 @ 9:20 AM

McNulty

@ Philly

Everyone who hates JT thinks we are in deep shit if he wins. But what is it based on? People said the same about Harper. While I disagree with a lot of Harper's policies our country isn't a wasteland like his opponents predicted.

September 5, 2014 @ 9:29 AM

Last I checked, the Jays had a 2% chance of making the playoffs this season: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/probability.jsp

September 5, 2014 @ 9:39 AM

McNulty

I will think the Jays have a chance the day they make the playoffs. Until then the Jays season is pretty much over. And to think, I was almost getting interested again.

I'm a fairweather fan. I admit it. I used to follow every single game but the last years have been abysmal and I just can't be bothered.

September 5, 2014 @ 9:44 AM

Argie

Kudos to the Star (yes, the Toronto Star) for publishing this opinion piece.
LINK

September 5, 2014 @ 9:48 AM

I'm still watching at night before bed, but not because I think the Jays will make the playoffs (I don't) but because I find watching baseball relaxing and enjoyable.

September 5, 2014 @ 9:49 AM

Philly-Bob

@ McNulty - you could very well be right. And if he wins, and it turns out to be a good thing for Canada, I will eat my words.

September 5, 2014 @ 9:51 AM

McNulty

@ Philly

I will remember and serve them with fries if it does happen. Words can lack flavour without a good side dish.

September 5, 2014 @ 10:04 AM

Sam in Pickering

Both Robin Williams and Joan Rivers were talented, ground breaking comedians, but one was universally beloved while the other was either loved or hated.

Both were trail blazers though and both will be missed.

September 5, 2014 @ 10:16 AM

Ben Vidal

I think the scary thing with politics today is the polarization. When you see old politicians discuss their days in parliament or read their memoirs, there was a certain amount of camaraderie in politics.

Conservatives, Liberals and NDP used to have dinners and lunches together in the capital. They could put partisan politics aside and enjoy a meal or a beer.

Today that's nearly unheard of. I have a friend working in the restaurant industry in Ottawa and politicians won't even be seen eating in the same establishment as people from opposing parties. I don't know whether this is a result of the dysfunctional political system in the US or a greater divide in the world when it comes to opposing views on politics.

I just believe there was something genuine about knowing that while these guys roughed it out in parliament they could enjoy a beer or a scotch together in the evening and shoot the shit about sports or something politically unmotivated.

The jays are like my ex girlfriend. When things are going good and they are playing well you see a future with them. Then a month later they aren't even acting like the same team and you get screamed at for taking the garbage out too slowly and wonder what the hell was I doing thinking about a future with you?

September 5, 2014 @ 10:17 AM

Philly-Bob

@ McNulty - I'd prefer Onion Rings...I know they come with an upgrade price...but I'll need that deep fried goodness to choke down the humble pie

...but only if I'm wrong about JT.

September 5, 2014 @ 10:19 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Ben - you are right. But the problem is, the old school politicians all had the same goal in mind...make the country better, they just differed on how to do it. Now it is the "us vs. them" mentality....with we the people caught in the middle....

September 5, 2014 @ 10:20 AM

markosaar

Unidentified Russians have taken an Estonian officer hostage at the border:

Not a usual event, and suspicious timing with Obama having just visited, and the NATO summit this weekend.

September 5, 2014 @ 10:27 AM

Glen

I LOVED this cool, wet summer we've had in the Niagara Region.

I've HATED these last two weeks of hot, humid stupid weather. I'm also sick of shorts being the only clothing choice and want to start wearing my Docs.

Bring on autumn!!!

September 5, 2014 @ 10:39 AM

Argie

Apparently its Bill Murray Day!!! I know I'm slow but can someone explain the appeal of this guy to me? I don't dislike the man or anything - I just don't get the whole love affair the media and the public have with him.

I was never a fan of his older comedies and I find he usually plays the same character in all of his movies.

September 5, 2014 @ 10:43 AM

@Argie

I'll admit, I'm a big Bill Murray fan. It's not a Wes Anderson movie until Bill shows up!

And cool stories of encounters with Bill Murray tell me this is a cool cat I'd dig. Here's a collection of such stories: http://www.billmurraystory.com/

September 5, 2014 @ 10:45 AM

J

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has been issued a subpoena to testify in an extortion case involving his friend and former driver Alexander (Sandro) Lisi.

September 5, 2014 @ 10:49 AM

Vicky

To all those who complained about this cool summer, here's today's heat alert. :) http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?on61

September 5, 2014 @ 10:57 AM

markosaar

Talking to myself, but the press conference stated that authorities have no reason to believe the kidnapping was politically motivated.

September 5, 2014 @ 11:01 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Argie - at least a little bit of it has to do with chive.com

The college kids love chive and chive seems to have a hard on for bill murry...they sell shirts with his likeness on them...

I'm with you, I don't dislike the guy (Ghostbusters anyone!!!!) but I don't think he's a cultural darling or anything...

September 5, 2014 @ 11:03 AM

Drunk Johnny Fever

I now know what TIFF stands for:
Traffic Inconvenience For Films

September 5, 2014 @ 11:11 AM

Rob

@Argie

This is what I posted on a site to answer that same question (apologies for grammar errors).

"He does play a similar character in Dramas/Comedy but he does it extremely well. He has been in the industry for what? Three to four decades and has done iconic films throughout his entire career. He has a good eye for quality movies, superb comedic timing and knows the roles that suit him and does those extremely well.

But his popularity is in part because of his real personality. He truly does not give a shit. I don't even think he has an agent and yet some how all these amazing projects find a way to him.

He's been in 17 (by my opinion and haven't seen every film he's been in) good to great movies. Regardless of your opinion of him that doesn't occur by accident.

I think you could take one film from 80's, 90's and 00's that he's been in that are considered classics or will be.
"

September 5, 2014 @ 11:15 AM

Cheryl

The Jays won't make the playoffs. Just wait until the middle of this month and my Orioles will find a way to clobber them. You guys should be cheering for a good team, the Baltimore Orioles. They're the best and they're going to win the World Series. Diamondbacks are a mess though. They fired their general manager, Kevin Towers. I have no idea who will replace him. Anyway, I think the football pool I joined will be fun. If you didn't read the last open Mike, I'm in a football pool with a few other guys around here. Everyone picks two teams. The person who has the most wins gets $100.00. I picked the Arizona Cardinals and Baltimore Ravens as my two teams. They will both win. I just know it. I just got myself a full subscription to football so I can listen to the Ravens as well, but it's hard because there is baseball on as well and I want to listen to my Orioles. Anyway, my trainer is curling this weekend. He hasn't played yet though. Actually they are playing now, but no score yet.

September 5, 2014 @ 11:18 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@Drunk Johnny Fever

Well played!

September 5, 2014 @ 11:21 AM

Almost a decade ago, I listed my five favourite episodes of WKRP for some reason: http://www.torontomike.com/2005/06/the_friday_five_99.html

#2 was the episode featuring drunk Johnny Fever. I love that ep!

September 5, 2014 @ 11:23 AM

Argie

Rob & Mike,

I'm still not convinced.

I've seen about a dozen of his movies. I find myself waiting for him to be funny (and he isn't) or waiting for him to give a dramatic performance (and he doesn't).

I'm sure he's a good guy, I just don't get it.

September 5, 2014 @ 11:45 AM

Ben Vidal

@ Argie: Watch him in Zombieland. I think it was his best performance and only a 10 minute cameo.

September 5, 2014 @ 11:47 AM

@Argie

That's okay, there are plenty of beloved celebrities I don't appreciate.

I have a lot of time for Bill Murray, though.... I'd love to sit down with him and have a convo.

September 5, 2014 @ 11:48 AM

Ben Vidal

@ Toronto Mike: As he keeps popping up all over the place, why don't you tweet him to do a podcast while he's in town.

September 5, 2014 @ 11:56 AM

@Ben Vidal

I don't believe Bill Murray is on Twitter.

September 5, 2014 @ 12:21 PM

519 Rob

Fav Bill Murray movies:

Drama - Lost In Translation
Comedy - Groundhog Day
Cameo - Zombieland

I'd list him in my top 5-10 actors, ever.

September 5, 2014 @ 12:36 PM

Michael Z

The Wire is being re-mastered into HD and released soon, perfect TV is almost upon us.

September 5, 2014 @ 12:40 PM

@Michael Z

Agreed 100%!

September 5, 2014 @ 12:45 PM

Philly-Bob

One of my favourite Bill Murray stories is that apparently he like to walk up to people in fast food joints, take a fry right off their plate and say

"No one will ever believe you..." the he eats it and just walks away.....

September 5, 2014 @ 12:46 PM

Re: Bill Murray, 7 years ago I listed my five favourite Bill Murray movies at the time: http://www.torontomike.com/2007/08/the_friday_five_188.html

September 5, 2014 @ 1:00 PM

this guest

Bill Murray plays.......Bill Murray
in the Jim Jarmusch film (a series of vignettes)
Coffee and Cigarettes-
very off the wall performance

September 5, 2014 @ 2:05 PM

Yo, Corey

#WitchesAtBlackMasses

September 6, 2014 @ 1:13 AM

Support Your Local

Support Your Local

September 6, 2014 @ 1:23 AM

Cheryl

Well, that was a depressing game last night. My beloved Orioles lost. That sucked. It was really a very awful game. they got shut out. That sucks. It is the hide in a hole kind of game. My Orioles lost. Anyway, 3 to 0 was the score. They better win this afternoon. My trainer's team is 2 and 0 as they won both games yesterday. They will win both games today and win it all. I know it. My trainer is curling so he will win this. He deserves it. I don't know what they'll be like without him on the team. More good news is that Frans lost. Good. Frans is one of those big guns who wins all the time. I don't like them. Well, Kean beat them last night and they are 1 and 2 so hopefully they lose again, get knocked out. Well, I'll probably listen to my Orioles tomorrow or I could listen to the Ravens at 1:00 and tune into Orioles at 1:40 when they start. I haven't decided yet, but the Ravens are going to win and the Cardinals are going to win. It's going to be a great Superbowl, guys with the Ravens and Cardinals both in there. I'm going to win the money. I just know it. I'm going to win $100.00. Yes, the Ravens and Cardinals are both going to win and have the best records in football.

September 6, 2014 @ 6:12 AM

dale

The Leafs had their Legendary Row statues unveiled today.

Agree with Teeder & Bower but Sittler ahead of Keon, Horton & Armstrong. I don't think so.

Sittler should have been in the next phase.

September 6, 2014 @ 2:55 PM

Cheryl

My Orioles lost again. Yes, again. It's 3 to 2. Chris Davis hit a home run, but that's about it. It sucks. No good at all. Well, my trainer won today so that's a good thing. My trainer will win it all. He deserves it. There's another game tonight so that's what will happen. Anyway, I found a plush talking football. I was browsing around and found this thing. It's a Ravens football. It says a bunch of the best Ravens calls or something like that. Apparently you squeeze it and the football will talk. My little heart wants it, but my head says no. It's for ages three and up. Anyway, Ravens will win tomorrow and Cardinals will win on Monday. We got football now. Hockey in a month. Then basketball at the end of October. The Superbowl will be awesome. The Ravens and Cardinals will have the best football records in the NFL and they'll go to the Superbowl. I get my $100.00. Then maybe I will buy that football. I hope it's still around.

September 6, 2014 @ 4:40 PM

Cheryl

Well, I gave in. I just bought the football. I got an email from the store who obviously thought I was interested in it and I got a percentage off. I will be getting it. I may be use it to play football with my trainer outside. I wonder what calls it will say. If I get tired of it, I can give it away to my trainer's kid. Maybe he will like the Ravens as well. Anyway, my trainer lost last night to Bowser. That sucked. They won every game until the late night game which they lost. Not good at all and I'm pissed so my trainer isn't there. Now who will win this spiel. As long as Frans doesn't win it or McEwan doesn't win it, I'll be happy. I hate those big gun teams. Let's eliminate them. Orioles and Ravens this afternoon. I can actually listen to about a quarter of football and then switch to baseball so I get both.

September 7, 2014 @ 10:18 AM

Cheryl

Damn, my Ravens lost. That game sucked. I just listened to the first quarter though and then switched to baseball. My Orioles were losing as well. It was a long game. I turned it off in the eighth inning thinking they had no chance at all, but then they came back and won 7 to 5 in the 11th inning. Nelson Cruz was the miracle man hitting two homers, a three run homer and a two run homer. That was awesome. Anyway, my Ravens need to win as well. I need my money. I would hate my Ravens to lose every game. I hope my Cardinals win tomorrow. They better win. I need the money. Anyway, curling was not good. I was hoping that either Kean or Epping would win this after my trainer got knocked out. Well, Kean lost to McEwan and that sucked and then Epping loses to McEwan in the final. I hate McEwan. I don't like any big gun teams like Howard, Jacobs, McEwan, Koe, all those big gun teams. I just don't like them. I will never cheer for any of them no matter what. Well, I'm looking forward to getting my plushy football. I wonder what it actually says. It was impulse buying. I could have just ignored the email, but I wanted that thing. If I get tired of it, Carter will get it who is my trainer's kid. He's going to become a Ravens fan at least. I'll make him into one if I don't make him into anything else.

September 7, 2014 @ 8:01 PM

James Edgar

@Support Your Local And we would want to support the HA because?

September 8, 2014 @ 9:31 AM

Cheryl

Well, my Orioles are in Boston these next three days. Let's hope they win. ON the mound it's Miguel Gonzalez tonight, then tomorrow it's Chris Tillman and then Wei-Yin Chen on Wednesday afternoon. Hopefully three wins and quick games. Also my Cardinals better win tonight. Not good for my Ravens to lose yesterday, but they'll win on Thursday.

September 8, 2014 @ 5:55 PM

Cheryl

Well, how about those Orioles. They're so awesome. They're 10 games up now so this is what I'm telling you. If you want a really good baseball team to cheer for, cheer for the Orioles because they really are going to win the World series. Gonzalez was awesome. He did allow some base runners, but they couldn't score. Chris Tillman on the mound tonight. Nelson Cruz is awesome. He had a couple hits again. See, the Orioles are the best. How about those Cardinals. That was close 18 to 17. A win is a win and it helps my pool as well. My Ravens will win on Thursday over the Steelers. I know they can do it. I want my money so the Ravens will forget about Sunday and win on Thursday.

September 9, 2014 @ 4:31 AM