Grandma, 1915-2014

bereavementMy grandmother passed away today. She was 98 years old.

We were quite close and I'm so sorry to see her go. She's left me with a ton of memories, but here's what I'll remember most.

Her Sense of Humour
My grandma was wicked funny. For as long as I can remember, every time I visited her she was armed with a good joke. In comedy, timing and delivery is everything, and she had perfect timing and an exquisite delivery. I'm going to miss her sharp Irish wit.

Her Acre of Fun
Until her health failed several years ago, my grandmother owned an acre of land in Gilford, Ontario. Several weekends each summer were spent there where we played football, baseball, flew kites, climbed trees and had as much fun as you can imagine. I'll always remember the BBQs, watching the train go by, trips to the candy store with grandma's money and hours and hours of fun with my siblings and cousins.

Her Love
Very few people in this world will love you unconditionally. My grandmother loved me unconditionally. I'll never forget her love: so strong, so constant, so mutual. I'm going to miss that the most.

Here she is with her beloved husband Louie in 1991.

Grandma and Grandpa

Lorne

=( My condolences, Mike.

May 24, 2014 @ 10:44 AM

markosaar

Sorry to hear Mike. Condolences.

You reminded me of how much I not only miss my grandparents, but the summers spent at their places outside the city. Amazing times that'll never really be experienced again.

The farm my dad's parents owned is still around, but it's looked pathetic for years since they sold it. Can see it from the highway when driving past St. Catherines.

May 24, 2014 @ 11:14 AM

GUNTer

Another fact - she rocked those awesome glasses.
May she rest in peace.

May 24, 2014 @ 11:28 AM

Andrew

My condolences Mike.

At 98 she saw things 'we' from our generation hope to never see (WW 1, The Great Depression, WW 2, Vietman, Korean etc), as well as witnessing things I wish we got to see (landing on the moon, the birth of the civil rights movement, the 50's, the Leafs actually winning a Stanley Cup, etc)

I'm sure she led an awesome life and lived every minute to the fullest. I hope y'all have a kick ass celebration of her life.

Andrew

May 24, 2014 @ 11:43 AM

Liz

Mike,

So sorry to hear your news. What a wonderful woman to have had as a key part of your life and memories going forward. Much love to all of you as you say good-bye and celebrate your spectacular grandmother.

I miss my grandmother so very much. She was such a force and the subject of my first published piece. Honestly, I think of her every day. Especially these days when things are so rugged.

xo

May 24, 2014 @ 12:15 PM

Blind Dave

My condolences, Mike.

A truly special lady who led a full, long life.

The impact she had on you and many others will be her legacy that will last your entire lifetime.

May 24, 2014 @ 2:00 PM

dale

My prayers & thoughts are with you & your family. Cherish the time you had with Grandma.

Condolences.

May 24, 2014 @ 2:59 PM

Tim

So sorry to hear about your loss Mike. I loved my Granny and i miss here every day.

May 24, 2014 @ 3:16 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Sorry to hear of your grandma's passing. Andrew said it, imagine the changes in the world she saw (good and bad) in her lifetime.
You are fortunate to have had her as a constant presence in your life and a great relationship you can reflect on.. Wish I had known my grandparents that way, unfortunately they lived 8 hours away (New Liskeard) and we saw them maybe once or twice a year, and being the stern old Scots they were there wasn't much hugging, maybe a cuff in the head if you were acting up LOL.

May 24, 2014 @ 3:20 PM

this guest

My sincere condolences. Losing a loved one is tough and she sounds
like a wonderful person and a real gift you were given.

I've lost a sibling and the parents are gone. Grandparents long gone.
It's all very sad to lose the people you love.

And love you. And it sure sounds like your grandmother loved you.
Unconditional love. Is there any greater gift?

May 24, 2014 @ 5:00 PM

Matt

Sorry to hear Mike

May 24, 2014 @ 6:11 PM

elvis

My condolences to you and your family Mike.

May 24, 2014 @ 6:33 PM

Pete McPhedran

Cherish those memories forever Mike, it's great that your 2 older kids got to meet her and have their own memories too.

My condolences,

--Pete

May 24, 2014 @ 10:29 PM

Mofo

Sorry to hear about your grandma Mike.

May 25, 2014 @ 10:39 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Sorry to hear this Mike.

May 25, 2014 @ 11:27 AM

Teena in Toronto

I'm sorry for your loss.

May 25, 2014 @ 8:13 PM

Sammi

So sorry to hear about this, Mike. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

May 26, 2014 @ 7:59 AM

Jason C

Sorry Mike. My grandfather passed away back in November. He was 100 and as much as I tried to prepare for the day when he would no longer be around, it still hit me like a ton of bricks when that day came.

May 26, 2014 @ 9:18 AM

Ottawa Mike

Sorry about your loss.

You'll remember your grandmother many times into the future. Her old sayings, memories on the acre and more. It'll come up at the funnest times that will put a smile on your face.

May 26, 2014 @ 11:40 AM

CQ

Sorry to hear this Mike. My condolences.

May 26, 2014 @ 2:12 PM

Jen Gowan-Johnson

You nailed it Mike. I couldn't have said it any better. Lots of wonderful memories. Rest in peace nana.

May 27, 2014 @ 10:10 PM

Brigitte

what about people who hate their grandmothers? I looked after my beautiful granddaughter from week 8 to year 8 since mama was working and developed a very lovely grandmother/granddaughter relationship which the father (my son-in-law) objected to to the point that he forbade my little beauty to even contact me (and I live across the street from them) Now, she does not even come by or if I phone (which I do not do anymore) - just brushes me off. All this is because the father is for some strange reason to me, jealous. So, is there a little girl in Toronto who can use a caring grandmother sometimes? My e-mail is above. Cheers

July 18, 2014 @ 12:51 AM