Of Sheriff, Alias and Frozen Ghost

Of Sheriff, Alias and Frozen GhostRemember Sheriff? They were a Canadian rock band that scored a big US hit with When I'm With You years after they disbanded. Sheriff was vocalist Freddy Curci, guitarist Steve DeMarchi, keyboardist Arnold Lanni, bassist Wolf Hassel and drummer Rob Elliott.

Sheriff - When I'm With You

When Sheriff broke up, Freddy Curci and Steve DeMarchi started a new band called Alias. Alias had a massive hit with More Than Words Can Say.

Alias - More Than Words Can Say

Arnold Lanni and Wolf Hassel, meanwhile, formed Frozen Ghost and had Cancon hits with Should I See and Pauper in Paradise.

Frozen Ghost - Should I See

Got it?

Zach

Arnold Lanni also produced the first four stellar OLP albums. (Then moved on to working with turds like Simple Plan.)

March 5, 2014 @ 10:29 AM

Jamie

Mike don't forget about Frozen Ghosts' song "Dream Come True"... It was my wedding song.

March 5, 2014 @ 10:52 AM

@Jamie

Nice... I had Nice Place to Visit on cassette.

March 5, 2014 @ 10:56 AM

Glen

I remember Kristy Knight interviewing Arnold Lanni (I think) on 977.7 HTZ FM's Rock Report back in the early 90s. One of his songs was a massive hit and lucky for him a year earlier he bought the master tapes of his music from the record company. He said during the interview he just wanted to own his music. I think he made over a $1 million from the royalties.

Maybe someone out there could fill in the blanks. I probably got a few details wrong.

Wikepedia and Google are no help.

March 5, 2014 @ 11:44 AM

519 Rob

Not a big fan of any of those songs, but I do like the ending of When I'm With You. The guy has pipes...
He holds that note for almost 25 seconds.

March 5, 2014 @ 11:46 AM

Boomer

Love the first Frozen Ghosts album. Great songs and lyrics.

March 5, 2014 @ 1:26 PM

NW

How about the song "Sheriff" by The Tenants?

March 5, 2014 @ 4:11 PM

Tim

Mullets rule!!!!!!!

March 5, 2014 @ 4:55 PM

Mike from Lowville

GOSH DARN! My wife loved that shit. We used to call it GIRL music! I think it has progressed to elevator music now.

March 5, 2014 @ 5:52 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I saw Sheriff at the old Knob Hill hotel when they were first starting out. They always finished with "When I'm with you", and the singer could night after night nail the lengthy vocal at the end.

NW, The Tenants were old high school mates of mine (RH King Collegiate) Gary Brown is now a real estate agent in Scarborough, I can't remember if it was the Spadina House or the El Mocambo they released this song at. I've lost track of the other members.

March 5, 2014 @ 8:22 PM

Blind Dave

I remember both Sheriff and Frozen Ghost. I seem to recall the Sheriff guys being rather put out that their music was somewhat ignored up here, and it took the Americans to tell the Canadian radio stations that "When I'm With You" was a great song worthy of radio play.

Will have to give Alias a listen.

March 5, 2014 @ 9:52 PM

Ryan G

The guy on the far left of the Sheriff pic looks like Willem Dafoe impersonating a mime impersonating the chimpy-lookin guy from Hall & Oates.

March 6, 2014 @ 11:26 AM