Spirit of Radio Sunday

Spirit of Radio SundayI'm a little late on this one, but how could I resist writing about a story with the title Corus' 102.1 The Edge, Toronto, Launches 'Spirit of Radio Sunday'?

Here's the rest of the story.

Corus Entertainment’s 102.1 the Edge (CFNY-FM) is bringing back the music that changed the face of radio in the late ‘70s and ‘80s with a weekly special celebrating The Spirit of Radio. Beginning March 9 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Spirit of Radio Sunday will be hosted by Scot Turner and will feature the artists that defined the alternative rock format such as U2, The Police, Depeche Mode, New Order, Talking Heads, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, OMD, The Smiths, The Cure and Tears for Fears.

“Spirit of Radio Sunday will celebrate CFNY’s legacy as the only station that showcased emerging artists during the rise of new wave, punk and alternative music,” said Blair Bartrem, Brand Director, 102.1 the Edge. “We are thrilled to have former on-air personality Scot Turner host the show, taking our listeners back to CFNY’s roots.”

Turner was a DJ on CFNY from 1984 to 1992 where he created and hosted/co-hosted various feature shows including Live In Toronto and The Thursday Thirty. Currently, Turner is Brand Director for Corus Entertainment radio stations 91.5 The Beat and 107.5 DAVE FM in Kitchener, Ontario.

CFNY became one of the most pioneering and influential radio stations in the world that explored new music and allowed freedom of expression, individuality and music choice of its DJs.

Firstly, I didn't realize Skot Turner had changed the "k" to "c" and was now Scot Turner. Secondly, this is a pretty cool idea from 102.1 the Edge.

Keith

If they're losing all the Blundell fans, why not try and get all the pre-Blundell fans back that jumped ship long ago. Everything old is new again.

February 26, 2014 @ 4:04 PM

Sammi

This is a very cool idea. Indie had a chance to really make a splash and hurt CFNY and they have failed miserably in my opinion. I will definitely check this out.

February 26, 2014 @ 4:04 PM

Mike Gamble

sigh....Martin should be hosting this.

February 26, 2014 @ 4:05 PM

Gump

Interesting development but I fear that they'll just play the 'standard' alternative mix from that era. Let me guess : "Sunday, Bloody Sunday", "Psycho Killer", "Rock the Casbah", "Pretty Vacant", "Enola Gay", "How Soon is Now", "In Between Days" and "Everyone Wants to Rule the World".
How 'bout Wire, Bram Tchaikovsky, Mike Oldfield, (late) Talk Talk, (early) Adam Ant, Grace Jones, The Motors, Orange Juice, even Forgotten Rebels. And of the standard top '80s bands, just the B-sides or deep in the catalogue? Please please let me get what I want!

February 26, 2014 @ 4:12 PM

Not Shep

Scot is always a pro who pays extreme attention to quality. That's why he's still working in the industry while others burned bridges and flamed out.

I predict this will be less disappointing than the hicks who play Imagine Dragons in the morning on 88.1.

February 26, 2014 @ 4:18 PM

Keith

Indie88 should play more Tame Impala.

February 26, 2014 @ 4:26 PM

Dugbug

Here's my CFNY memory of Skot. He was broadcasting live from the Ex and mentioned on air he was starving and thirsty. I brought him Tiny Tom donuts and a pop. He was so happy, he took my info and said he would send me some swag. Got diddly squat, nada. Still, I liked him and glad he's back.

February 26, 2014 @ 4:26 PM

The program director is coming on my podcast. I want to know why they play Get Lucky so often, when almost every other station burnt that tune to the ground all last summer.

February 26, 2014 @ 4:35 PM

Andrew

I'll weigh in on this later this evening when I get to my destination.

Cheers,
Andrew

February 26, 2014 @ 4:51 PM

Sammi

Mike, they play EVERYTHING too often.

February 26, 2014 @ 4:57 PM

Derrick

Sounds a lot like "Psychedelic Sundays" on the Q, only the time period has changed.

February 26, 2014 @ 4:57 PM

@Sammi

Idea: you come on the podcast the day I interview Adam Thompson.

February 26, 2014 @ 4:58 PM

Andrew

Skot Turner was the one person responsible for talking me into getting into radio as a career. He is a friend and mentor and let me tag along on a crap load of his DJ'ing gigs.

I will be tuning and listening for the first time since Martry was fired from The Edge. I'm excited about this.

I think Derrick has the right idea, but after talking to some people who still work there, I think what they are going to try and do will be cool.

Scot is a great voice and his voice has been missed in the Toronto market.

@ Sammi - I haven't listened to 88.1 since Mike and I recorded that episode of Toronto Mic's, however, if the dates work and I can make the date that the PD of the station is coming in for, I will listen to the station for a week before the recording to refresh my memory. I'm sure I'll have lots and lots and lots of questions.

I'm excited about this. Too bad it still wasn't live on Sunday nights from Whiskey Saigon where you got to keep it locked and loaded.

Cheers,
Andrew

February 26, 2014 @ 7:21 PM

Anon&on

Great, another 'classic' format.
Here's an idea radio - music discovery!
88 must be kicking themselves, Alan Cross has the entire 'NY vinyl archive in his basement.
@Mike The 'Any Questions For Adam PD of Indie 88?' post is going to be something else.

February 26, 2014 @ 7:25 PM

Dutch

Gump a few more for ya Bahaus, Bootsauce, Neds Atomic Dustbin, The Motels, Faith No More, I could go on...

February 27, 2014 @ 2:02 AM

Wayner

What I remember is that CFNY did not always play the obvious hits. The dug further into the album and played some lesser known but excellent tracks nonetheless...they also took the odd request.

I just hope that Scot holds back on playing The Cult. Back in the day they played this band far too much. Perhaps because of its Canadian connection.

February 27, 2014 @ 8:12 AM

markosaar

@Dutch

I saw Ned's Atomic Dustbin in London last December. Amazing.

February 27, 2014 @ 8:16 AM

Anonymous

sounds like the edge is grasping for a new direction??
Also, who the heck is on the morning show.

February 27, 2014 @ 8:52 AM

Fearless Fred is on in the mornings.

February 27, 2014 @ 9:20 AM

Justin

Music radio has gone out the window with the introduction of apps like Songza, 8 Tracks, and Rdio. I have 0 incentive to listen to FM radio when there's apps that provide a much better service. I can access thousands and thousands of playlists of any genre or mood I want. I can stream any album I want in their entirety. I easily discover new music. Why on earth would I listen to FM radio again? The ONLY station I listen to on occasion is Indie 88 and that's only because I can't stream these apps in the car.

95% of my radio listening is now talk radio. Compare that to about 50/50 only 2 years ago.

February 27, 2014 @ 9:31 AM

Hyacinth

So will 102.1 promote this on Twitter using #spiritofradio? This hashtag is being used for a show Strombo does. Guess he figured CFNY was done with it, honestly I did too. As far as it referring to a Rush song... yeah sure whatever.

February 27, 2014 @ 10:54 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - It's been Josie and Greg Beheral this week.

February 27, 2014 @ 10:58 AM

Argie

They better bring back Blundell before they lose anymore listeners.

February 27, 2014 @ 11:48 AM

mike

I agree with Gump. More Motors

February 27, 2014 @ 12:56 PM

CQ

A day late, a decade short.
I'd rather find some rare 80s Cancon references, as not included in the press release. That, and a show program dedicated to the "21st of the 20th" - tons of new music from forgotten old artists.

February 27, 2014 @ 1:07 PM

markosaar

CQ: can you be specific about 80s cancon bands you'd like to hear?

I like my Blue Peter, Spoons and TPOH a lot, but expand my horizons.

February 27, 2014 @ 1:50 PM

Ryan P

What Mike Gamble said.

February 27, 2014 @ 2:54 PM

Sammi

Mike, I am going away for a few days and when I get back I will send you an email and let you know who I am. We can talk about being on your podcast too :).

February 27, 2014 @ 3:18 PM

@Sammi

This is exciting!

February 27, 2014 @ 3:19 PM

markosaar

Wait CQ don't answer that, just remembered the penultimate 80s konkan!

February 27, 2014 @ 9:20 PM

CQ

Cdn Museum of Music has a diverse listing. The thing is: this is yet another big media NO-Cancon press release.
Markosaar: I like those you mentioned; however, the Spoons latest CD (2012?) had a handful of great tunes.

February 28, 2014 @ 1:31 PM

Anonymous

If Scot can't or doesn't go deep then this is a big waste of time. Examples would be The Fountainhead "Someone Like You", National Pastime "It's All A Game" etc. etc. etc.

February 28, 2014 @ 5:54 PM

Al Anon (or

Scott changed the K to a C in the late 80s, early 90s when a soothsayer told him the K was too hard and would affect his life. The soothsayer was right. Scot has done well.

March 1, 2014 @ 7:15 PM

jason patterson

I havent listened since martin died nor will i ever again. If i want to hear thia music on the radio i will listen to david marsden on the rock 94.9

It's so funny how all of a sudden they want to celebrate what they turned their back in

Gfys corus

March 9, 2014 @ 3:54 PM

Carrie

C'mon be happy it's being done. They didn't see the light before, but at least the Edge has finally come to their senses. It's important to keep this music and what the station meant to hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of people alive. The negative tone of the above commenters is quite shocking. CFNY is doing something right on this one.

March 16, 2014 @ 5:03 PM