David Clarkson Signs with Leafs

leafsIn addition to locking up Tyler Bozak for five years ($21 million) the Leafs have signed David Clarkson to a seven-year deal worth $36.75 million.

Clarkson's 29-years old and scored 15 goals and 24 points for the New Jersey Devils in 48 games last season. He's a physical player who can score goals and he's a proud Toronto boy.

clarkson

Not to mention he's definitely one of the best UFAs available this year. I like this deal.

Mississauga Phil

Am I the only one who thinks Clarkson looks a little like our own Toronto Mike??

July 5, 2013 @ 4:05 PM

@Mississauga Phil

Similar looks, for sure... but he's got that pronounced movie star chin action going on.

I lack that chin.

July 5, 2013 @ 4:09 PM

Argie

Over 5 mil a year for a 3rd line winger. Sounds "great" to me too.

July 5, 2013 @ 7:01 PM

4x4 Time

I hear Clarkson's nick name is Mike...

July 5, 2013 @ 8:02 PM

Mississauga Phil

The resemblance is uncanny

July 5, 2013 @ 11:53 PM

Cheryl

That's scary. Lots of goals, eh? Well, I hope it won't take the Leafs all the way to the cup. Oh well, my habs have Briere now and that's a great thing.

July 6, 2013 @ 7:45 AM

felix

I'm glad to have him, he'll give the 2nd line a physical force to clear space for Kadri & Lupul.

I'm not sure why there's all the backlash about buying out Grabovski to keep Bozak. Bozo was still the best fit of the FA centers available and it was clear by the end of the year that Kadri had surpassed Grabo for the 2nd line center job. Grabo was woefully miscast as a 3rd line shut-down center.

And $4M-$5M is the going rate for good, not great, players, so I think that both the Bozak & Clarkson signings are reasonable.

July 6, 2013 @ 12:27 PM

Corey

I see the Sun has already dubbed him "Wendel Clarkson". Jeez - even if he brings half of Wendel's game, I'll be very happy. I was pleased with the Leafs physical play against the Bruins, but I think we still need to fulfill that "truculence" promise of Burke's.

July 6, 2013 @ 6:21 PM

Wayner

...and speaking of Burke, apart from the rumours of the affair, do we know why he was let go from the leafs?

It’s been mentioned here a few times but this leaf time is ostensibly the team he was building.

July 8, 2013 @ 3:53 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Wayner - He was let go from the leafs cause he cared more about the Brian Burke Brand than the team.

I would argue your point that this is he team. There are some pieces that are his for sure, but Nonis has definitely put his stamp on them as well.

July 8, 2013 @ 3:56 PM

Wayner

True.

But I guess my point was that there is really no obvious shift in philosophy.

July 9, 2013 @ 2:09 PM