Rita MacNeil, Dead at 68

In MemoriumRita MacNeil was 68. She was the popular singer known as Cape Breton’s first lady of song.

Derrick

Jesus, I didn't even know she was sick.

Too bad. I wasn't a huge fan of the music but she was a classy lady.

April 17, 2013 @ 10:50 AM

Cheryl

Too bad is right. I had a couple of her CDs. I gave them away to someone who liked them more than I did, but I think I know how I can get them back. I would like to listen to them again.

April 17, 2013 @ 11:00 AM

Andrew

This makes me very sad. I had the pleasure of working on the Rita MacNeil Show for 5 seasons on the CBC, plus a few specials at her house in Cape Breton.

She was the nicest lady in the world. Always happy and loved to laugh at what was going on around her on rehearsal and show days.

Her type of music wasn't my favourite but you couldn't deny her voice. Pure and powerful with a soft east coast lilt. When the Men of the Deeps sang on the show I got chills.

This bums me out...

Andrew

April 17, 2013 @ 11:25 AM

Ryan P

Been a bad week for people who were on Trailer Park Boys. Dirty Philadelphia Collins passed away this week too.

May Rita rest in peace.

April 17, 2013 @ 12:22 PM

519 Rob

I hope that she gets the same tributes that Tom Connors did. Maybe she wasn't as 'cool' as Stompin Tom was, but you can't deny her voice, and her talent.
Both of them were proud Canadians, who made their mark, their legacy (and their money) in the Great White North.
May she rest in peace.

April 17, 2013 @ 12:42 PM

I feel like I've known her forever, but for the life of me I can't name a single Rita MacNeil song.

April 17, 2013 @ 12:44 PM

4x4 Time

Sad to hear. Not my style of music, but I know a couple of musician friends who have worked with her over the years, and today they had nothing but great things to say about her. Quite the sense of humour apparently.
Way to young to be leaving us.RIP.

April 17, 2013 @ 4:44 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Sad to hear of Rita's passing. I spoke with my 84 year old uncle today, he grew up in Cape Breton island, and he said she may have not had star power like todays musicians, but she sang from the heart and the feelings of the people of Cape Breton (or the East coast for that matter) . RIP Rita.

April 18, 2013 @ 5:34 PM

Cheryl

Well, turns out I won't get those CDs back. The person who I gave them to doesn't have them anymore. I can't believe it as she liked them more than I did, but she doesn't have them anymore.

April 18, 2013 @ 5:59 PM

Teena in Toronto

I heard the news while I was in Cuba this week. There were a lot of Capers at our resort ... it caused more sadness than the Boston bombings.

April 19, 2013 @ 7:28 PM