Stompin' Tom Connors, Dead at 77

In MemoriumStompin' Tom Connors was 77. He was one of Canada's most prolific and well-known country and folk singers best known for "Bud the Spud", "Big Joe Mufferaw", "The Black Donnellys", "The Martin Hartwell Story", "Reesor Crossing Tragedy", "Sudbury Saturday Night" and "The Hockey Song".

I was lucky enough to see Connors perform "The Hockey Song" live when I saw Conan O'Brien back in 2004.

Where players dash with skates aflash the home team trails behind
But they grab the puck and go bursting up and they're down across the line
They storm the crease like bumble bees they travel like a burning flame
We see them slide the puck inside - it's a 1-1 hockey game!

In lieu of flowers, the Connors family has asked that donations be made to your local food bank or homeless shelters, in memory of Stompin’ Tom.

Sam in Pickering

RIP Stompin' Tom: a great Canadian icon.

March 6, 2013 @ 9:33 PM

Stompin' Tom Connors at the Horseshoe Tavern:

March 6, 2013 @ 9:34 PM

Mike from Lowville

.........THE CANADIENS WIN!

March 6, 2013 @ 10:03 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Saw him many many years ago (still allowed smoking in bars then) at LuLu's in Kitchener, great Canadian and showman. A true Canadian Icon.

March 6, 2013 @ 10:05 PM

Anon&on

Always watched him do the theme for CBC's Marketplace.

March 6, 2013 @ 11:42 PM

Roshan

That's the only song of his that I have heard, although I am aware of his status in Canadian music. It's a great song. In his honour, I shall check out some of his other songs today.

March 7, 2013 @ 12:57 AM

elvis

From cbc.ca:

Canadian country-folk legend Stompin' Tom Connors died Wednesday at age 77. A few days earlier the musician penned a letter to fans that he wanted published after his death, his spokesman said. Here is a copy of the letter published on the singer's official website:

Hello friends,

I want all my fans, past, present, or future, to know that without you, there would have not been any Stompin' Tom.

It was a long hard bumpy road, but this great country kept me inspired with its beauty, character, and spirit, driving me to keep marching on and devoted to sing about its people and places that make Canada the greatest country in the world.

I must now pass the torch, to all of you, to help keep the Maple Leaf flying high, and be the Patriot Canada needs now and in the future.

I humbly thank you all, one last time, for allowing me in your homes, I hope I continue to bring a little bit of cheer into your lives from the work I have done.

Sincerely,

Your Friend always,

Stompin' Tom Connors

March 7, 2013 @ 7:20 AM

Pigeon Toed Dave

I wonder if his career would have been the same if kept wearing the Sou Wester hat instead of the cowboy hat...

March 7, 2013 @ 7:58 AM

Lorne

Sad news, but an amazing icon with an amazing career.

March 7, 2013 @ 8:42 AM

Dave Williams

A true Canadian icon.

March 7, 2013 @ 9:26 AM

Sammi

A great and true Canadian.
RIP

March 7, 2013 @ 11:16 AM

Glen

My favourite Stompin' Tom Connor song is "Merry Christmas, Everybody"

I posted it here...

March 7, 2013 @ 12:00 PM

Cheryl

RIP is right. I never saw him or had any of his albums, but a friend had some of his stuff. I remember she played Tillsonburg, Tillsonburg, my back still hurts when I hear that word.

March 8, 2013 @ 4:52 PM