Why I'm Rooting for the Giants Tonight

Why I'm Rooting for the Giants TonightI don't know about you, but I only have one home team in Major League Baseball. That is to say I only have a passionate interest in one team winning it all, and that's my Toronto Blue Jays.

When the Jays are out of the playoffs, and that's been every year since Joe touched 'em all in '93, I use a complex system to determine my rooting interest. Usually that involves rooting against a particular team, as is the case this year.

I'm rooting for the San Francisco Giants in the NLCS because the Cardinals won last year and in my mind, the less teams to repeat as champions, the better my Jays look for having done so in '92 and '93. Yes, I realize the Yankees repeated since then, but that's it. Only the Yankees have done it, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Then, when the Giants win tonight, I'll root for them in the World Series. I have some serious hate for the AL East teams that challenged us in the 80s, and the Tigers fall into that group with the Red Sox and Yankees. And I'll never, ever forget what happened in '87.

That's why I'm cheering for the Giants in tonight's game seven. Who are you rooting for?

Blind Dave

My method is similar, as I usually end up rooting against a particular team also. I look at the individual players and fire up the old jerk-o-meter. Whichever team has the lowest score will be the team I root for.

The exception, of course, is the Yankees. I ALWAYS root against them.

Not sure yet who my "team" is this year.

October 22, 2012 @ 6:14 PM

Another reason to cheer for the Giants: Marco Scutaro.

October 22, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

Matt

I am impartial to both teams. Depending on work schedule/money I might make a trip down to Detroit to watch a game.

I also always root against the yankees regardless.

I am eagerly awaiting Cheryl/Fake Cheryls appearance!

October 22, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

headsup

@Torontomike

I never thought about the back-to-back legacy thing... But that is a good point. I have disliked the Giants ever since the Barry Bonds days. Surely they knew he was juiced and lying about it, yet they celebrated every record-breaking homerun he hit. Although they tried to make amends with the way they handled the Melky Cabrera situation this year, I just hate them.

I was only two in 1987, so I thankfully don't remember that monumental collapse. I wouldn't mind the Tigers winning it. They were MLB's worst team in history in 2003 (over 120 losses). It gives me hope that our Jays might find great days again. Also, growing up, the Tigers were my second favourite team. Ernie Harwell, although a very distant second to Tom and Jerry, was a great storyteller and broadcaster.
Finally, just after winning the World Series last year, St. Louis unvailed a huge life-size Albert Pujols statue... Then he signed with the Angels. I think it would be funny to watch the Cardinals lose in the World Series this year. They chose not to make a "good offer" to the best hitter of our time, so they'll just have to eat it.

October 22, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

CQ

A team and a fanbase that worships Barry Bonds.
Go Cardinals.

October 22, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

NW

Unfortunately, if you're watching on TV, we'll be stuck listening to Tim McCarver for another week. It could be even worse if his former team St. Louis is in the World Series. For that reason alone, I'd like to see a Giants-Tigers World Series. I got over 1987, so I'll go with the Tigers.

October 22, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Not Fake Cheryl

I hate baseball. Who cares about stupid baseball. If my Habs were in the world series then I'd cheer for them. But they're not because they're a hockey team and the stupid owners have locked out the players. I wish baseball would go on strike for the next ten years. That would be much more exciting than watching stupid baseball, even if my Habs did play baseball with hockey sticks. I'd bet they'd win too!

October 22, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Alan G

Giants, because Willy Mays was my favourite player when I was younger and my cousin gave me a Giants baseball cap. Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead and all the great music that came out of Haight Ashbury in San Fran in the 60s. Barry Bonds is a minor blemish on a great city.

October 22, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

Fake Cheryl

Copying other people's ideas is stupid. John Mellancamp never did that. That's why he is the greatest.

@Not Fake Cheryl
Parody can be tough to do well. Copying parody is just uninspired laziness. Find your own material, please.

Oh ye of little faith. Of course I would take time to comment on stupid baseball.

October 22, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

Fake Cheryl

@Alan G

Those bands are stupid. That music stinks. Detroit has better music because Bob Seger is from there. Bob Seger is the best. He is much better than the Grateful Dead or Jefferson Airplane. It doesn't matter who wins the dumb World Series because baseball is stupid. Anyway that doesn't matter because Bob Seger is the best.

October 22, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

Stephanie

I've never really been either way about San Francisco (that is, no reason to hate) but was in SF over Thanksgiving weekend and went to Game 1 of NLDS. They lost that night but the orange hoodie I bought and have worn for every win since is, I'm sure, the reason they brought out the champagne on home-turf last night. Woo-hoo!

I saw a segment on Sportcentre this morning - this World Series should be sponsored by Giant Tiger. Haha...

Go GIANTS!!!

October 23, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

Fake, Fake Cheryl

Everything is stupid except my trainer. I post creepy info about stuff he's doing instead of actually living my own life to the fullest. And seriously, you all know that baseball is the MOST RIDICULOUS of all - stupid (my favourite word) and boring. P.S. Grocery Gateway's suck level is at a defcon 10 this week - UGH!

October 23, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

Mississuaga Phil

@ Not Fake Cheryl and Fake Fake Cheryl....seriously....Fake Cheryl beat both of you to the punch...find your own material.

October 23, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

Corey

Going forward, I'll be cheering for the Tigers. Hey, somebody has to be Magnum.

October 23, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

519 Rob

I'm a little stuck here.
I can't cheer for The Giants - I am still annoyed by the Bonds crap that happened.
I can't cheer for the Tigers, I'm still bitter about '87.

I suppose I'll let the '87 issue slide...for now.

Go Tigers?

October 23, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

You guys are sure hard on San Fran for the Bonds stuff. He may have been an SOB, but he was their SOB.

I've written many times about the Bonds conundrum: he was statistically awesome but he was an arrogant SOB who artificially enhanced his power. But despising a team for enjoying his monster seasons?

I don't resent the Giants for that.

October 23, 2012 @ 4:33 PM