Humble and Fred Mornings on Kingston's K-Rock 105.7

humble and fredStarting Tuesday, Humble and Fred are the new morning show on K-Rock 105.7, a Rogers-owned station out of Kingston, Ontario.

I just got off the phone with Humble and Fred. They assure me this won't effect their daily podcast. They'll broadcast live in Kingston from 6am-9am, then record their podcast in Etobicoke as they have every weekday since October.

As Humble joked earlier, College Pro Painters wouldn't hire them, so they'll be K-Rock's morning show for the summer. If your radio doesn't pick up K-Rock, you can tune into the show here.

Humble and Fred Mobile

Cambo

While I understand their desperate need to get "paid", they should not have been so quick to slam terrestrial radio.

For months, all they've been talking about is how Podcasts are the future, how they're free to do what they want, format the show however they want etc. Then they slip back into corporate radio without a second thought.

Great for them for a paying gig (with real money). Just sounds a bit hypocritical.

June 12, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

@Cambo

Fair comment... but what's key here is that they are continuing the podcast.

Best of both worlds, maybe?

June 12, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

Kevin

Yes, they have taken shots at terrestrial radio but "slam" may be a strong word. They stated as far back as October that if radio came knocking on the door they would consider it without a doubt as long as they could continue the podcast. They definitely make fun of the "10 songs and hour" (rightfully so) and how little radio people are allowed to be themselves on the air. One of the reasons H&F had their success back in the day is that they had the ability to talk and share shit from their lives. Two of my three kids are the same age as Howard's and I can identify a lot with what he says. It's a reason I still enjoy listening to Stafford on 640 for the past 11 years or so. He's real.

I guess that's what keeps people listening to real hosts and not the typical jocks that are on now.

Just my 2 cents and congrats to the guys on a "paying gig".

Kevin from Bowmanville.

June 12, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

Barry

It seems Rogers has supported these guys from the very beginning, so I assume they'll be able to do the kind of radio they want on K-Rock. I just listened to today's podcast and they make that clear, the show will have music but be mostly talk.

June 12, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

I'll bet it sounds like a typical Humble and Fred show, except they'll watch their language. No swears, and they'll be careful about how they talk about sex.

And yes, the Rogers deal has been interesting, and helped make this possible. Here's more on the Rogers deal, announced in January: http://www.torontomike.com/2012/01/humble_and_fred_join_rogers_ra.html

June 12, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

howard

The bottom line is yes we've commented on Radio and yes the Podcast has allowed us latitude we'd never had or be allowed in this new gig. It's a great opportunity to grow our brand, do both and see where it all leads. I'ts only for the summer and who knows, it may lead to something or we might just land that gig painting.
Thanks for the thoughts,
h

June 12, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

Not Dean

Just want Kingston wants, two hasbeens from Etobicoke. You'd think Kingston might want a morning show from - going on a limb here - Kingston.

Now we know why Rogers signed Humble and Fred for zero dollars and zero cents/sense. I'll bet Humble and Fred give them a summer of live morning content absolutely free of charge. Julie Adams is a goddam genius.

June 12, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

Not Geets

The previous morning man in Kingston was Jeff Brown, who was hired for Q107 in Calgary, a few years before that he was involved in the trauma center that was JACK in Toronto.

June 12, 2012 @ 4:45 PM

Larry

"Julie Adams is a goddam genius"
By the sounds it, Humble and Fred aren't too dumb either.

June 12, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

Corey

I gotta wonder how this will play out. They're replacing a krazy Morning Krew. Will Kingston be receptive to the Humble & Fred we know, or will small town sensibilities demand a "wacky funster" version? Please, no matter what they tell you to do, no slide whistles and bicycle horns, guys.

June 12, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

MrFascination

It's Not The Early 90's Anymore... Not Interested..

Kingston isn't Toronto.. They Won't Last.

June 12, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

Jamie Collins

Kingston doesn't need to be Toronto if you look beyond the end of your nose. You might have noticed the world is getting smaller.

June 12, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

The K-Rock Morning Krew

How come we had to be on-air 5:30am - 10:00am and these Etobicoke podcasters get to work 6:00am - 9:00am?

June 12, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

Andrew "Audio Andy"

WOW!!
That pic brings back memories. I used to drive that thing to promotion events - it was nightmare! No power steering and a wheel turn like no other.
It was always a pleasure trying to park that thing out on Queen St. in the afternoon.

Good times... good times.
Cheers,
Andrew

June 12, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

andrew

R U kidding?? Kingston - is their studio at the Pen??

They may has well got a job as DJ's in Barrie's Bay, Espanola, Orangeville, etc.

Their shtick is TOO OLD. Time to retire old men.

June 12, 2012 @ 6:41 PM

Not Geets

Well it is more likely that the podcast will become clips from the morning show in Kingston. Sure they promise otherwise but what is the incentive in July & August to work 2x as much...?

June 12, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

MrFascination

@ Jamie Collins - Thanks for the insult... But if you get your head out of your ass you'll realize that's not what I meant.

Kingston is a lot more like Ottawa than Toronto.. Heavy Government/Military demo.. That type of humour won't fly there.

June 12, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Cheryl

Well, if they do mornings in Kingston, and commute back to Toronto every day, that's sure a long commute every day, but I guess they don't mind that. Sure wish one of my all time favourite radio announcers would come out of retirement and start doing podcasts. You won't know him though. His name was Ray Girard and he worked at CKOC in Hamilton.

June 12, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

Handsome Rob

Congrats boys. Will try pick up the station on the way in to see how it sounds.
Thought though from Cheryl's comment: they won't be making the drive each day will they? My thoughts are H&F will be recording their show or work out of a satellite office live. Mike? (or Howard?)

June 12, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

H

Thank you all for your comments and concerns. Yes we are old and washed up but for some reason we rank in the top 75 on ITunes for all comedy Podcasts and as of tonight the top 50 in Itunes for "Whats' Hot." They must be stupid and not familiar with what it takes to be successful in Kingston.
Dumb asses.

June 12, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Congrats guys, just for the summer, won't be bad, but I've got my routine, and you know how ornery us old buggers get when someone messes with our schedule LOL. Sorry to say I won't have time or the radio range to catch the show, but the Podcast fits my current listening situation, presently downloading from Calgary, then can listen to you on my drive to Edmonton.
Back to the Odot by Friday.
Hey bills have to be paid and I wish I had a boat and some extra cash to hire you guys to crew it for the summer to keep you in Etobicoke, oh well you got to do what is best for your situation.
Cheers!

June 12, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

Justin

Haha wow Mr. Fascination has no idea what he's talking about.

Rogers wouldn't have hired them if they didn't think H&F fit the K-Rock demo. I'm sure they know a thing or two more than Mr. Fascination. His comment about Kingston being a "Heavy Government/Military demo" had me cracking up.

June 12, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

@Cheryl

No, the guys won't be commuting to Kingston. They'll broadcast to Kingston from their Etobicoke studio and then record their podcast there right after.

June 12, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

Jody Thornton

Hi Cheryl:

I certainly remember the host for CKOC's All Hit 40. I asked Nevin Grant about Ray Girard's when I was working part time at K-Lite FM in the summer of 1995. No one has heard from him. I always liked how he said "Don't Hurt Nobody!" at the end of his shows.

Great Memories. And I wanted to say I am very happy about Humble and Fred's gig in Kingston.

June 12, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

Haters Gotta Hate?

Why would anyone care if these guys want to do a morning show in Kingston and a free podcast?

Haters gonna hate I guess but sometimes ya gotta live and let live.

Good luck to H+F!

June 12, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

Anon&on

Broadcasting to Kingston from the 5 Hr studio? A warm up for a possible syndicated show on the Rogers network?

June 12, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Syndication sounds like a big possibility, H&F have just turned over a rock to see what other opportunities there are in the broadcast world. Sorry, I am so up their ass, I can see Fred's colon. I really hope this is all very successful, some may like, and some may hate. Personal choice.

June 13, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

Corey

So out of 20+ separate posters, there were 3 really negative comments. Seems to me like they're all probably the same guy - Mike could confirm, I'm sure. Even if they are 3 separate people, what's the big deal? Hardly worth getting bent out of shape about.

June 13, 2012 @ 6:54 AM

Not Dean, Not Geets, andrew and MrFascination are all different people.

June 13, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

Mississauga Phil

Why do you have to hate??? If you don't like what H+F are doing, don't download the podcast...seems pretty simple to me.

Good Luck Boys...your still funnier than half the crap out there...

June 13, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

T.B.

Anytime I hear the podcast they're going on about how bad the radio biz has become and how nobody knows what they're doing.

So every negative comment is just more fodder for the show. H+F can play the underdog again.

Boring.

June 13, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

Liz

I'm a H&F one hundred "percenter". Rick C and I like the view of their colons just fine. I find the boys enormously entertaining! Thier shows make me laugh out loud - and I've got to say that not much does any more. So in the H&F vernacular, haters can suck it.

June 13, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

MrFascination

Justin - Oh Thats Right, ROGERS Has Never Had A Morning Show Fail... Laugh All You Want. We'll See....

June 13, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

Wallace

@MrFascination. I'm glad they came up with the new term Fucktard because it fits you perfectly.

June 13, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

Corey

@ Wallace -
Ha! Are you a 100%-er? Howard (might have been Fred) were saying a couple weeks ago that they liked that "new" term too. It's not really that new, so I'm wondering if you learned it from listening to them.

June 13, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

Cheryl

Jody, good to find you. Another Ray Girard fan. I know, I remember he said don't hurt nobody. I know where Ray Girard is now. He's retired, living in Vancouver. I have his email address which I won't post here. Email me if you want it to traub104@gmail.com. Well, it makes sense that Humble and Fred wouldn't commute every day.

June 13, 2012 @ 7:12 PM

MrFascination

@ Wallace - Your willingness to resort to name calling clearly shows your lack of class and intelligence - I'm sure you wouldn't do that in person.

June 13, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

Sammi

Surprise! Surprise! They are working for Rogers radio. Who didn't see that coming?? Any bets on when the podcast ends? Because it will end....sooner rather than later.

June 13, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

Jamie

@Mike... In the picture there who's in the 102.1 Car? Is that Todd Shapiro in the passenger seat?

June 14, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

@Jamie

I always thought it was Fred in the backseat and Humble in the passenger seat. Not sure who's driving, but maybe it's @Andrew "Audio Andy".

June 14, 2012 @ 8:59 AM

Freddie P.

@Sammi - And what exactly would you base "it will end sooner than later" on? Why, with such a great following, and five committed sponsors would the podcast end? As a matter of fact it can't end Sammi because there are signed deals with those sponsors who are paying us real money. No click through bullshit, just cold hard cash.
And they said it couldn't be done. And is it really that difficult to understand a multi-platform presentation in the year 2012?
Your skepticism and negativity is so Canadian.

June 14, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

@Freddie P.

You want to hear negativity? Ask Sammi about Our Lady Peace!

June 14, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

Mississauga Phil

Sammi - what do you think about Our Lady Peace?

June 14, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

marion

WoW....very happy to hear the guys are back on the air!! I can't wait until Tuesday.
Not a station that I would normally choose to listen to but, will now that the boys will be there....even if it is just for the summer.

Thanks to Rogers for recognizing a good thing.

marion

June 14, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

Barney

This is the most anyone has talked about K-ROCK in a long time. Good or bad, love it or hate it, it's working. Being from Kingston I could care less where H&F are sitting. As long as the content is Kingston and they interact with the citizens I am all for it! I would much prefer a big name(s) as a morning show host rather than a local personality. I think K-Rock and the other stations have exhausted the local market and bringing in a big name is just what the radio in this city needs. This city needs to be brought to a new level. The old school mentality needs to be stopped. Bring it on and best of luck H&F!!

June 14, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

Natasha

@MrFascination-How would you know what does and does not fly here in Kingston? I do not fit into your demographic nor do the hoards of people I know that have listened to K-Rock since it's start. Your comments are quite misguided and humorous to a Kingstonian.

For the record, I'm looking forward to hearing H+F on K-Rock! Good luck guys! I'll be tuned in :)

June 14, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

Almost Etobicoke Grapes

Well guys you know you have to do a good job on the air for my hometown listeners. Throw in a little Don Messers stuff to keep the Wolf Islander's happy will ya.

June 15, 2012 @ 7:09 AM

Jason Patterson

Are you saying Canadians are all negative skeptics Fred?

It isn't like you to generalize. Oh wait, yes it is.

* * *

Best of luck with the new gig. I don't think the podcast will "end" - I think one will promote the other and vice versa.

Let it play out.

June 15, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

LOL

That comment from "Barney" reads like every obvious fake on a review site.

June 15, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

Will the real Barney please stand up.

June 15, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

Barney did comment from Kingston.

June 15, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

Phil Phil

If H&F are doing the pod cast, and K-Rock, could they, or are they not, going for syndicated national morning show similar to Bob and Tom in the US? I don't see why they can't. They are at least as funny as my three sons making fart jokes. That makes it better then half the crap that calls itself radio nowadays (AKA anything on Corus-$h!t stations).

June 15, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

Jorgen

"...for some reason we rank in the top 75 on ITunes for all comedy Podcasts..."

Funny, I must have an old version of iTunes, or maybe I'm running iTones, the cheap, lead-infused Chinese knock-off, as the podcast is ranked 163rd.

So let's get this straight... terrestrial radio is old, dead and lame, and the internet is the only platform that matters... until you get your next gig on terrestrial radio, and then it's all good again, and OF COURSE traditional radio still works!

Wish you guys nothing but the best, especially with the juggling of 5 hours of fresh music/talk programming a day! Will definitely keep you busy!

June 17, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Not Dean

Not the least bit surprised at all the negativity coming out of Kingston on their FB page: http://www.facebook.com/krock1057

Who didn't see this coming? Kingston wants a morning show in Kingston and not Etobicoke. In fact, Kingston hates Etobicoke / Toronto.

I almost feel sorry for Humble and Fred because they now have to get up early to do a terrestrial radio show and then record their podcast for 20 people and call it a day while their bank account remains unchanged.

Now that shit's cray.

June 19, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

DatFunnyGuy

First off, just because you're broadcasting terrestrial to Kingston doesn't mean you're limited to a listening audience there. There's this thing called the internet, it allows you to listen online from wherever you are able to. So maybe that isn't helpful to the advertising dollars for a station, but it does mean you have a wider audience than you would have years ago.

And to you haters out there, spouting your ageism against H&F, there material isn't OLD and it is FUNNY. Time will tell if H&F do well at K-Rock but I'm happy to be able to hear them no matter if it's podcast or broadcast, they always make me laugh. I'll consider myself a 100% and be proud about it.

June 19, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

DatFunnyGuy

...Although their material isn't old, my eyes clearly are, I said there instead of their...my bad. (cough)

June 19, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

steven

i worry that the podcast will be watered down now that they have a radio gig. it is hard to be fresh, innovative and full of energy when you have too much going on, especially when you have to be up so earlier in the morning. The real danger is letting the podcast slip and losing your long time listeners, once you lost them it is hard to get them back. I think that the gamble is too much for just a 'C' market gig as they made huge progress in their daily podcast in establishing it.
I have to think that the duo are eating humble pie as they certainly had their rants against terrestrial radio and all the ills in the biz...just hope they did not sell out

June 23, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

James Conrad

Humble and Fred are good people. I don't listen to earth bound radio. I wish Humble and Fred all the best though. It's too bad Sirius/XM Canada couldn't find a place for them and other like minded radio personal. If we have to have Opie and Anthony inflected on us; Humble and Fred would be a step up. And why Kingston? Just wondering.

July 13, 2012 @ 8:30 AM