Boxing is Dead

boxingI had no interest in last night's Manny Pacquiao bout against Timothy Bradley. I'm on a personal boycott of Pacman fights until we get a mega-bout between Pacquaio and Floyd Mayweather. Although I didn't watch, the verdict is a blunt reminder why boxing is a fool's game.

By all accounts, Pacquiao won. Every analyst had it that way, the footage I just saw on TSN sure had it looking that way, and these metrics speak volumes:

pacman1

pacman2

Judge Jerry Roth (115-113) awarded the fight to Pacquiao while CJ Ross (115-113) and Duane Ford (115-113) gave it to Bradley, giving the American the WBO welterweight title and ending a run of 15 consecutive wins by the Filipino.

That's it for me. It seems the only judges in the world who think Bradley won this fight are CJ Ross and Duane Ford, and that's enough to rig a match. Boxing is dead to me.

Declan

Boxing passed away long ago.

June 10, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

Cambo

@Declan

Agreed. Only purpose is to make the promoters money.

Boxing and UFC. Both the stupidest "sports" on Earth, who's only purpose is to bash your opponents head in for no other reason other than to "win". The only thing they get out of it is Parkinson's.

June 10, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

Jamie

The REAL winner of this fight was...... Dana White.

June 11, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

Tee

I was listening to Russ Anber on 1050 and he had the rounds scored 6-6. He was a ta boxing hall of fame function and nobody there was surprised at the result. I'm a fan of Pac, but in round-by-round scoring, he didn't win.

June 11, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

Rob

If I'm not mistaken (I know this is the case for the UFC) but boxing organizations have no control over the judging. The judging is done by an outside commision.

I know UFC has had problems with judging because of the complexity of the sport some bad decision are made.

I wonder what the issue was here. From what I am reading, this was a clear robbery. Was it just bad judging? Was it rigged? If it is rigged is the Nevada Commision a joke?

In UFC I have only seen 2-3 really bad decision by judges. Never on main events though.

@Cambo

All sports have risk to serious brain injuries. I would gather that Football/Hockey are more worrisome than MMA.

Usually in the UFC is someone is taking a beating, they go to the ground and let the guy submit them. Also, fights are usually cut after a few knockouts due to health concerns. I think in terms of mental health the UFC is ahead of the NHL/NFL at the moment.

June 12, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

@Tee

A five-judge panel assembled by the WBO championship committee unanimously favored Manny Pacquiao over Timothy Bradley in a video review of their fight.

June 21, 2012 @ 4:27 PM