Toronto High

Toronto City HallI don't remember a figure in Toronto politics as divisive as Rob Ford. It seems you either love him or you hate him. Find me someone indifferent to Rob Ford... I dare ya.

Not to paint the Ford brothers with the same brush, but what the hell. I'll do that here. Rob Ford and Doug Ford are running Toronto High, bullying the nerds while yelling "O'Doyle Rules!"

There's the whole Pride Week thing, the KPMG report that confirmed David Miller's assertion that Toronto has a revenue problem, not a spending problem, there's the bike lane kerfuffle, the library vs. Tim Hortons debate, the "who's Margaret Atwood" cries, the finger, the privatization of libraries and a general sense that the Ford Brothers are at war against the nerds, geeks, artists and "leftists" throughout the city.

Here's an email I just received re: Toronto High.

I was planning to leave a comment on one of your posts about Rob Ford, but thought perhaps you can create a new entry instead.

I don't know if anyone else has commented yet, but don't you think Rob Ford is running Toronto like he's the president of a High School council? Ford Nation vs. the so-called 'Leftists' is becoming a Jocks vs. Geeks/Artists/Nerds type of battle that only conjures up bad memories from my highschool days.

I think you should create an entry entitled "Toronto 'High'" and make this comparison. I don't like Rob Ford, didn't vote for him, but am willing to give him a chance if he's willing to be serious about his role as a mayor representing ALL of Toronto, not just the jocks.

btw, love your blog!
~Another mike in Toronto

Then, moments later, there was this one quoting a proud member of Ford Nation.

Check out the comment from this article: http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/27/stintz-wont-support-library-cuts

"Hey Stintz, you're a BACKSTABBER!  The Fords know how to run a city...the rest of you are a bunch of freeloading refugee leaches. The only people I see going to a library are these damn refugees and they still don't know how to talk properly! Obviously the library books isn't helping them. Cut services that cater to minorities, includes gays/disabled/bicyclists/artists/establishment types. Why should my taxes pay for there freeloading? Majority should rule!

FORD NATION ALL THE WAY!
FORD NATION ALL THE WAY!
FORD NATION ALL THE WAY!
FORD NATION ALL THE WAY!
FORD NATION ALL THE WAY!"

I hope it's fake, but as of right now, it has 3 likes!

You should tweet this out to everyone.  Use social media to lay a beat down on Ford Nation down.

I too didn't vote for Rob Ford, but I'd be willing to give him a chance too if he's act like he takes this gig seriously. This is only Canada's largest and most important city. C'mon Robbie, shape up!

McNulty

It's more like those high schools from TV where the principal and the vice-principal hate the outcasts and want to destroy the arty programs.

All of the students agree and love the principal and do the same sort of things.

Those shows/movies usually end with the pricipal being caught doing something stupid. Or everyone realises that these grand ideas won't work and would ruin the school.
Maybe that will happen too.

I am sure that people like Argie will call me a leftist, gay, socialist idiot.

And to that I take offense. I am merely an idiot.

July 27, 2011 @ 2:40 PM

Cheryl

Well, I didn't vote for Rob Ford either. Yes, he did something good, making the TTC an essential service. As for libraries, I don't care if they get closed or not. It's other possible cuts I'm worried about such as snow removal and ice rinks. I like to skate in the winter. Cutting ice rinks wouldn't be a good thing.

July 27, 2011 @ 6:56 PM

Brother Ryan

He is a horrible representative of our fine city. That is what bothers me most.

I am waiting for the sky to fall.

Chicken Little Chicken Little

July 27, 2011 @ 7:32 PM

Argie

I have nothing against lefty socialist gay idiots or McNulty for that matter but I disagree with the usual whine from the aforementioned. Ford is doing what he said he would do - and that is to cut spending and eliminate the city's deficit.

If Miller hadn't spent like a drunken gay pride parade-goer (or drunken sailor) Ford wouldn't have to make these drastic cuts. I agree cutting library costs is too drastic for me but he's in this position because of Margaret Atwood's hero, Miller.

July 27, 2011 @ 9:13 PM

Icarus

''...he did something good, making the TTC an essential service..''

Only to attack the unions. He is now considering reducing the level of service provided by this essential service.

By the time Ford is finished with Toronto, this city will be unrecognizable.

July 28, 2011 @ 7:45 AM

Trent

Dear Mike,
I'm probly one of the younger readers of your blog, 14 years old, I visit the site on a regular bases, many of the articles have had an impact on me but none of them I've felt strongly enough to leave a comment, but this one changes things.
I think that Rob Ford is a mayor better suited for a hicktown in northern Alberta 40 years ago, before the arts, minorities, and vast public services were encouraged and valued.
I use the library on a weekly bases forecastles and CDs, I use the community center many times a week to play basketball with my friends( many of which I met at the community center), and I use the TTC everyday I go to my job as a canoeing and kayaking instructor. This is why It horrifies me so much
to see these services being slowly dismantled before my eyes.
I hope mayor ford will read this blog, or more likely get his brother to read it for him, and take in some of the reactions Torontonians are having over this slashing.

July 28, 2011 @ 7:48 AM

elvis

I find it interesting there are very few comments to this post. Either people don't care about the Fords or they are so angry they can't talk about it.

July 28, 2011 @ 8:36 AM

Ben Vidal

@ Elvis: I think it has to do more with people being pissed off. Regardless of how much of a slob Ford is, people can look past that as long as he's not being a huge knob. It boils down to him and his brother embellishing numbers, make unintelligent comments, and as this post suggestes being regular old bullies.

How does a guy like Ford not have a blue tooth either, as per Toronto Mikes last post. Ford's problem is he tries to act like he's just the same as his constituents, but when push comes to shove he really thinks he's above them.

This is an angry, angry man whose one trick line regarding "Gravy" is getting old. I have a parrot I can teach to say one word too, doesn't make the parrot anymore intelligent. If he can make some efficiencies in spend and reduce some unnecessary expenses great I don't know a person that's not for it, it's the cut to the bone tactics that I fear the most from this guy. No city or business is impervious to workers or levels of management taking up sapce and money. Unfortunately a family run label business doesn't quite mean you can run a city.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter. Toronto you voted this guy in, you got him, now deal with his insanity and the damage he's going to do.

July 28, 2011 @ 9:47 AM

Phil

I live in Mississauga and we've got Hurricaine Hazel, who is the greatest mayor this province has ever seen. The Ford bros come off as a joke to me and they are going to leave Toronto in worse shape than most of the US.

Toronto voted him in so now you have to deal with it....

July 28, 2011 @ 11:18 AM

Liz

Hey Mike,

Laughed just now when I noticed the promo for Ann Coulter's book. No mistake it's dovetailing with a post about your favourite mayor.

The city is in horrible financial shape. Cuts will have to be made. Comrade Miller drove this city into rough budgetary shape. The doom and gloomers might want to take a step back, put things into perspective. To use libraries as an example, the whole business model needs to change. The bricks and mortar approach will increasinly make less sense for a myriad of reasons - reasons we're all familiar with.

I love my library dearly and use it a ton but if it needs to reduce hours,or close an extra day per week, then I'll have to modify my schedule when needing to pick up books I've reserved online. I read a lot and this service is extremely important to me. I don't want to keep books after I've read them so using the library makes perfect sense. And I love the people who work there. We're all going to experience some pain.

I think I'm just growing weary of all the negative shit that's going on.

Bottom line? I hope Rob and council make fair, smart choices. Hey! There's a first time for everything, right?

July 28, 2011 @ 12:38 PM

McNulty

The point is that the City of Toronto doesn't just have a budget problem but a revenue problem as well. Ford and his brother keep talking about cuts that will not reach $750 million. He can't balance it with just cuts. Much like in the US, it will require more than cuts. Those kind of cuts will cut too deep.

Of course, there is always the rumour that this $750 million hole is just funny numbers and it isn't as bad as they are saying. That number justifies the deep cuts but the reality is there isn't that much of a gap.

July 28, 2011 @ 2:03 PM

Ben Vidal

@ Liz: Problem is I don't think that the Ford brothers know what a library is. I agree that things have to be looked at through the proper set of glasses and if there are too many libraries within a small distance then perhaps it may make sense to close 1 or 2. The problem is that Rob Ford and his brother make it seem like issues like the number of libraries and the need to close 5 or 10 will suddenly net 400 million dollars in savings. They are going after the small things and treating them like big things.

As for comrade miller. Didn't he leave a budget surplus that Ford quickly demolished? As mike said it's a revenue problem not a spending problem. Of course Mammoliti and Ford want to do away with the gay pride parade which creates how much in revenue?

Lets face it folks we live in a world where prices on everything are increasing no matter what happens things will continue to rise and as a result so will taxes.

If every single person had to pay taxes from a 1 month old to an 80 year then taxes might not go up. We all know that it won't work that way but unless the growth of the population is equal to the growth in the amount of people that can pay taxes it is impossible not to raise taxes. People like to decry social services, and it has become a favorite of the right to say work harder get a job. A it's impossible for everyone to have a high paying job, B the unemployment rate is the unemployment rate you can't suddenly magic jobs into existence, C Freddie P and his sycophants love to post a picture of some guy milking the system and getting money for that. As if that is rampant and the norm. This kind of stuff happens all the time everywhere in the world it isn't reserved just for social assistance receivers, even in high paying jobs in the business world. There are people milking every level of every organization on the planet. You think Rob Ford had to work hard all his life in a family run business? I love when he compared himself to Arnold Schwarzenegger on his work ethic. Go eff yourself Rob Ford. You'd be hard pressed to find a single person say there isn't someone at their place of work who is lazy and only comes in to collect a pay cheque.

People don't like to see other people get a free ride. I hate it as much as the next person, but stuff happens, worry about yourself first.

July 28, 2011 @ 2:16 PM

Argie

So Ben, you must know the lunatic who threatened to kill Ford. It seems there are thousands of crazy irrational people who can't deal with the fact the city has to cut left, right and centre. Many of these said lunatics are head of unions who see a bleak future for themselves if Ford is mayor for a few terms.

Instead of bitching and making personal attacks at Ford and his brother, why not come up with alternatives. I realize you and these nutbars are still bitter about George Smother-man losing but there was an obvious need for change (remember, you buddy Obama used that line) and so we have change.

Nothing wrong with criticizing the mayor - just try to come up with some better ideas.

July 28, 2011 @ 7:52 PM

Suburb Steve

I suppose the best way to ensure that no libraries are effected is to impose a tax to keep them running. Seems like the "Miller" way of doing things. Maybe an annual fee to hold onto that library card. Of course this is not a target that the Miller types would ever consider, but hey he managed to get the registration tax passed. I'm sure a modest $30-40 fee would be more then reasonable for those who find the idea of cutting this sector appalling.

July 28, 2011 @ 9:42 PM

Ben Vidal

Pot calling the kettle black Argie. I find very few posts from yourself in which you aren't making personal attacks on anyone. Better ideas?? You really think Ford is open to better ideas?

July 28, 2011 @ 10:23 PM