Milos Raonic: Real Deal or Andrew Sznajder Reincarnate?

sportsI should play more tennis. I really like playing tennis and I almost never play. Does anyone want to play this summer?

Speaking of tennis, in July of 2009 I wrote about Canada's male singles tennis failure. Here's a snippet.

Canada's inability to produce a single excellent men's singles tennis player is mind boggling. There have been a few decent female players, and at least a couple of excellent doubles players, but not one male player who could even upset their way into a semi-final match. The highest ranking Canadian male in singles play was Andrew Sznajder who somehow got ranked #46 in September 1989. You're forgiven if you've forgotten about Andrew Sznajder.

Today, Canada's Milos Raonic reached his second straight final in an ATP Tour event. A year ago he was ranked 361, now he'll crack the top 50. That's pretty impressive.

Is Milos Raonic the real deal or simply Andrew Sznajder reincarnate?

elvis

Neither, Greg Rusedski was ranked #4 in the world. No matter the flag beside his name, he is Canadian.

February 19, 2011 @ 4:20 PM

Ajax Mike

Born Canadian, voluntarily left, adopted British citizenship and played for them. Someone born and raised in Toronto who plays professional hockey isn't automatically a Maple Leaf.

February 19, 2011 @ 10:30 PM

elvis

@Ajax Mike - I know what you're trying to say but you're wrong. A better example would have been Brett Hull or Lennox Lewis. We're talking about playing for your country, not playing for a team to which you're drafted.

However, before the draft, every player born in Quebec was 'owned' by the Montreal Canadiens so if this was pre-1963, you'd also be wrong.

February 20, 2011 @ 5:09 AM

Cheryl

I love tennis, but only playing it. I don't watch it. It's a boring thing to watch.

February 20, 2011 @ 8:07 AM

@Cheryl

I have to ask the obvious question.

You play tennis? But... but... don't you need to be able to see?

February 20, 2011 @ 9:12 AM

andrew

Mike, I think you just called out Cheryl's BLUFF

February 20, 2011 @ 10:39 AM

Ajax Mike

Back @Elvis, I think Rusedski is worse for your point. You're absolutely right that a player (often) has little choice about what team he's drafted by. Rusedski CHOSE to abandon the country of his birth, where he grew up, trained, and first got attention from the pros. First chance he got, he turned his back on all of it. He showed no loyalty to us, why would he deserve any in return? The UK is welcome to him.

February 20, 2011 @ 2:05 PM

elvis

@AjaxMike I agree with everything you said, however, he is still Canadian. The degree to which he is a proud one doesn't eliminate the fact that he is.

February 20, 2011 @ 2:43 PM

Cheryl

I am blind, but I play tennis with my personal trainer. I have special balls with bells in them so I can hear them better. I can hit them, and my trainer will get them and hit them back to me.

February 20, 2011 @ 3:32 PM

elvis

@Cheryl - that's pretty cool.

February 20, 2011 @ 4:38 PM

Cheryl

Yes, it's good I can play tennis. In the winter I miss it though. Sure can't wait for some warmer weather and the snow to go away.

February 20, 2011 @ 8:20 PM

setpoint

Andrew, Glen, Grant, Daniel, hey they tried and are still trying to be the best that they can be. With Milos on a winning streak, lets congratulate him and hope he can start a trend for Canadian boys and girls to want to play tennis. Yes Tennis Canada sucks, if we compared to US and Europe. So hats off to Milos and for staying Canadian.

March 8, 2011 @ 5:30 PM

Junior Tennis Player

Tennis in Canada is VERY expensive. Igaurantee you if they made tennis affordable across Canada we would have some great Talent. However Tennis Canada only gives chances to few players who are able to afford it. Tennis in Canada is not affordable and i realized it is not a good sport to play. If your ranked outside top 500 your earning basically minimum wage. top 100 earns about 100k to 200k. and top 10 is where the money is. Wasting money and time is not worth it to become a profesional tennis player in Canada. the top 100 player in the nba, nfl ,mlb, nhl earns much more than the top 100 player in tennis. As a 16 year old make your son play soccer not tennis

June 18, 2011 @ 11:45 AM