Dear CBC, Please Give Us Back Our Beloved Bob Cole

cbcMy Leafs just wrapped up their last game of the season. As you know, we were attempting to throw a wrench into the Canadiens' playoff pursuit. It was a great game, but Montreal got their point and clinched their playoff spot. I'll still win the bet, but Ron Wilson really should have pulled the damn goalie.

The game was called by Bob Cole. I loved every syllable he uttered. I love Bob Cole's voice and style, I always have. He provided the voiceover for all my favourite hockey memories. Every Leafs playoff goal of my life has been called by Mr. Bob Cole and I'll always love him for it.

Hearing his voice tonight, I realized how much better Leafs games are when he's behind the microphone. Not only do I hope Bob Cole doesn't retire, but I hope the CBC gives him back to us and has him call every Saturday night Leafs game next season. That's the way it used to be, and that's the way it should be.

Besides, I sense others don't appreciate him the way we do. Here's Exhibit A, or "Reason #42 as to Why Habs Fans Suck".

twitter

Please CBC, give him back. We love him, we need him and they don't deserve him.

Argie

Mike,

Cole should have been canned years ago. DGB is completely right - Cole is way behind the play, he over describes what's going on and is just a dumb Newfie.

Sorry Newfies out there.

April 10, 2010 @ 10:29 PM

@Argie

DGB is as pro-Cole as I am. It's @game_points who hates him.

Here's a DGB tweet from earlier today.

April 10, 2010 @ 10:33 PM

CQ

I like Bob Cole too, but old people should have to retire at a maximum of 72, no exceptions. 72 is good enough for pension turnovers, good enough to move on then. He's made and earned good six figure money for years. Time to pay it forward career wise; there'll be another good announcer if the opportunities truly exist.

April 10, 2010 @ 10:48 PM

CQ

It'll be your turn soon enough too one day, pally ;)

April 10, 2010 @ 11:38 PM

Romy

Bob Cole is one of the greatest English-language hockey play by play guys of his era. Period.

My list (for what it's worth and in no particular order:

Danny Gallivan
Dan Kelley
Bob Cole

April 11, 2010 @ 3:45 AM

Romy

My mistake, sorry.

It's Dan "Kelly", of course (I spelled it incorrectly in the above post).

April 11, 2010 @ 4:43 AM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Of course we have the other half of Bob Cole's success in Buffalo, Him and Harry Neal were awesome together for years, used to love hearing them, was really excited when Harry replaced Lorenz here

April 11, 2010 @ 7:24 AM

Ryan

Agreed.

Cole's voice is the essence of hockey. It could be a meaningless final game of the season for the leafs, and Cole still makes it sound important.

I feel for the guy though. I think he is slowing down just a bit, and some of his comments are just a little off in my opinion. Not sure if it's his age or he's always made similar comments for years.

Anyway, I still think he's a great voice in NHL hockey. On the other hand, while watching the game last night, I watched the end of the Blue Jays game, and what's his face was doing play by play, and he was god awful. His voice is terrible and he became overly excited in inappropriate plays, while missing the drama in others. He's usually the reporter on the field or in the stands..can't recall his damn name.

April 11, 2010 @ 9:14 AM

_Justink

Mike, I couldn't agree more. No matter what anyone says, I LOVE Bob Cole. I was so excited to hear him when the game started last night. I missed his voice, as he only called one Leafs game all season prior to last night.

CBC must give him the job back of calling the Leafs games. It's where he belongs, and Scott Moore, the head of CBC Sports, should realize that. It's just not the same with Houghson.

I know some Canucks fans that wish they'd have Houghson back, as they think (and rightfully so) that Mark Lee is boring. Let em' have their wish. Give em' Houghson and get Bob Cole back calling Leafs games!!!

April 11, 2010 @ 9:51 AM

LEW

Who cares - I still haven't got over the new dude who took over for Ward Cornell.

April 11, 2010 @ 11:16 AM

anyone_really

There is a lack of good play by play guys in general.

Bob Cole is better than Hughson. I used to think Hughson was good, but he's clearly let "the fame" go to his head, because he utters ridiculous things every single game.

Chris Cuthbert is the best in business, too bad he works for the enemy.

Mark Lee is unbelievably boring.

April 11, 2010 @ 1:14 PM

Sammi

Bob Cole's best days have passed him by. He was great, but it is time to move on.

April 11, 2010 @ 1:19 PM

@Sammi

You kids today always want to move on.

I choose not to move on. I choose Bob Cole.

April 11, 2010 @ 1:47 PM

David

Cole still has great pipes and a great sense of anticipation. But IMO those qualities are seriously outweighed by:

- his constant mis-ID'd of players and need to say something when nothing is happening
- his chronic spouting what is blatantly obvious . i.e. - :30 left in a tie game 'oh baby, you know both teams want to get that next goal'.

I would happily pay a couple extra $ for a feed that included only venue audio and no announcers.

P.S. - assuming "Romy" is Paul Romanuk, I really enjoy your work at the Spengler. Seems to have a rare combination of football atmosphere in a hockey rink. Would love to experience it in person one day.

April 11, 2010 @ 3:46 PM

@David

"Romy" is in fact Paul "It Is Over" Romanuk.

April 11, 2010 @ 3:53 PM

Pension Plan Puppets

Bob Cole's voice is hockey. The only reason senator and Habs fans hate him is because he doesn't care to learn the names of their stupid players names.

He does a magnificent job nad he has an incredible voice. He says just enough without resorting to ridiculousness like almost every other announcer.

April 11, 2010 @ 7:40 PM

Michael

DGB is absolutely right. Bob Cole is too old to be doing this job and DOES NOT accurately describe the play on the ice, which is supposed to be his job. He is often left guessing as to when there was a penalty, an offside, or glove pass. He was tolerable in years past but his lack of knowledge and mis-pronounciation of player's names is very irksome.

I'll give him credit for being better than many other announcers out there due to his excellent voice and history with the game. He is NOT better than Chris Cuthbert and certainly not better than Jim Hughson. I, for one, am thrilled Hughson called more Leaf games this year and I know others are too. Good on the CBC

April 12, 2010 @ 1:57 AM

DaveDaytona

Not only should they bring back Bob Cole, but Harry Neale too. Or pair him with Joe Bowen. Or anyone who can speak without yelling and has a sense of humour.

Most sportscasting would be vastly improved by not trying so hard to sound like a beer commercial. Pierre McGuire, and TSN generally, are the main offenders.

And while I'm on the subject, Pierre, you use way too much coaching jargon. We know you're smart, now start speaking English. And your comments are not 20 minute speeches. I don't need a summary every time.

Will someone please hire this guy as a GM already? (Er, just not the Leafs)

April 12, 2010 @ 2:39 AM

Corey

While I believe that currently Joe Bowen is the best Play by play guy out there for the Leafs, Jim Hughson is ABSOLUTELY horrible. Its like listening to a robot call the game. There's no personality, no creativity, no nothing. Its like he's reading from a script.

I will take Bob Cole any day fro CBC broadcasts. I know Habs fans hate him, and I don't care that he's a bit behind the play, he's just so good at the calls, that its fine with me. I was very happy to find out he was calling the game Saturday night.

@Argie
You're intelligence showed true on your last line with "just a dumb newfie". That negated any sense of a valid point in your post.

April 12, 2010 @ 8:17 AM

Pension Plan Puppets

Michael - DGB wasn't saying that Cole was washed up.

And preferring Hughson suggests that you're a closet Canucks fan. Hughson is atrocious.

April 12, 2010 @ 11:58 PM

Andy

Colie was good -- decades ago. Better to hit the mute button than have to listen to his constant mistakes and repetitions. "Oh baby, they're pulling out all the stops! Twisting and turning, shot! Stick save, they bang away at it, rebound!" (same sayings year after year after year). And why does he need to tell us the score and time left in period so often? Bob, it's not radio, we can see it on our TV screens. Please hang up the mike after this playoffs.

April 14, 2010 @ 9:58 PM

tm

This years playoffs have been fantastic, even with Bob Cole getting doing the play by play in the premier Canadian interest match up.
The game has has left him far behind. The words just don't come to him anymore. Bob isn't a student of the game and he misses all but the most obvious of plays.
His insistence of of not allowing his expert color commentator partner to comment while the play is on only compounds the problem.
I really enjoy the team work of Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson. Together they point out such things as the line match-ups and the history between certain players, things that Bob Cole never does. I doubt that Bob Cole ever reads the Hockey News his knowledge of the players and the game is so limited.
Nope.
Bob Cole is away past his best before date.

May 4, 2010 @ 11:09 PM

Dave

I agree with Matthew Ross, Bob Cole is Horrible! Anybody who loves him must be a leaf's fan who are also horrible and disgraceful. But getting back to Bob....
He's usually watching a different games than everyone else is watching. Can't remember the rules and should be put out to pasture!
CBC wake up and dump him.

May 16, 2010 @ 8:31 PM

Dave

Dear Leafs fans,
1967 and counting, give me a break. Get a life.

I'll cheer for the other 27 teams before I cheer for the Leafs. Hope you are happy in the big smoke.

May 16, 2010 @ 8:36 PM

brian

cole is terrible now, once was good now seems confused and only recognizes leaf players. hnic is terrible in general these days - no problem with leafs getting their dues, but there are other teams in canada, most of which have been better in recent years. moving beyond the cherry-maclean might help - at the very least someone should give cherry his medication(s)

October 7, 2010 @ 11:58 PM

Oscar

You're right, Bob Cole and Harry Neale are what my hockey memories are made of. Does anyone know why we have Hughson and the next dude? Isn't there any way we can get Cole and Neale back especially since the Leafs are finally good again?

October 17, 2010 @ 1:55 AM

hockeyfan1

Bob Cole is not the best play by play anouncer by ANY MEANS!!! The guy he replaced (Bill Hewitt) was by far the absolute best--no argument at all!!!--he had to retire because of a blood disorder which ultimately took his life. If he had been able to continue I doubt Cole would have even made it to intermission announcer!! Cole's voice is like someone scratching against a blackboard!!! he also finds it necessary to add his stupid comments (Oh BABY!!) etc. etc. Many of you are too young to remember Mr. Hewitt--I'll you ever heard was Mr. Cole-the Newfoundland yoldeler!!!!

October 23, 2010 @ 7:15 PM

fred troisi

Please bring back Bob Cole so my son and i can start enjoying the leaf games again

October 30, 2010 @ 7:55 PM

Dave

Hey there Dave here again... is Ron Wilson drunk? What about Leaf fans... Their spiritual leader Burke, how can the fans follow these idiots? And as for Bob Cole, what a joke. Hockeyfan1 is right about him. Too bad you and your kids will never live to see the Leafs win another Cup. In general the league sucks and the Leafs are making it worse. Bob Cole, go out to pasture please.

Signed,
A Canadian Fan and his Senator fan of a wife

November 13, 2010 @ 9:32 PM

Ian

Bob Cole and Harry Neal best ALL TIME. Where is Harry Neal?

November 27, 2010 @ 9:47 PM

Harry Neale is living in Buffalo doing Sabres games with Rick Jeannerette.

November 27, 2010 @ 11:53 PM

HATE BOWEN

I hate Joe Bowen. He is the sound of the losing Leafs. Can't watch games he is doing. Good when the Buds play Wednesday cuz then we get the TSN crew. Sat of course is HNIC.

January 3, 2011 @ 8:27 PM

James

This is for Dave on his Nov.13, 2010 post. Are you a fan of all Canadians in general or are you referring to the Montreal Canadiens? I am a Leaf fan. I don't like listening to Bob Cole. I live in New Brunswick. I don't agree with Leaf management. You are a typical blowhard Habs fan. Have a nice day.

January 8, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

bobbytino

Bob Cole is still the best. Houghson is terrible, Cole still has the voice and fire to blow Jim away.

February 12, 2011 @ 4:38 PM

Bob Cole

Bob Cole is awful, terrible, senile all rolled into one.

April 9, 2011 @ 2:30 PM

bufnyfan1

Bob Cole is not the best/never was or never will be-he replaced Bill Hewitt (Mr. Hewitt was the play by play man for the Leafs-had to retire due to illness was by far superior as was Dan Kelly (CBS/St. Louis Blues) and Danny Gallivan CBC/Montreal)-Cole was supposed to retire after the players strike ended (2005)--he wouldn't go--his enormous EGO wouldn't allow for it---I would bet he will die before he ever leaves!!!

May 14, 2011 @ 9:04 PM

Anonymous

Please. Please. Please give him a package - it's time.
He is the real Captain Obvious.

April 17, 2017 @ 10:22 PM

Beatts

Had a quasi argument with mid/low tier Toronto pod caster last night about this.

Bob Cole is not my cup of tea. I'd rather have Joe Bowen and Harry Neale again any day.

April 18, 2017 @ 10:28 AM

@Beatts

Subjective, no doubt, but Bowen is unabashedly pro-Leaf. He truly belongs on the regional broadcast. After last night's win, I heard him and Jim Ralph hoping the series ends in five. And that's all good, because it's the Leafs radio broadcast.

But HNIC doesn't belong to the Leafs. That's where Cole shines. He's the Vin Scully of hockey, I just wish they'd let him call the Leafs series.

But I'll give you this... Neale with Cole was the very best. I miss that duo.

April 18, 2017 @ 10:34 AM

Beatts

No reaction for the "mid/low tier" comment eh ?

Losing my touch !

April 18, 2017 @ 11:10 AM

@Beatts

That depends... who was this mid/low tier podcaster?

April 18, 2017 @ 6:33 PM

Beatts

I only listen to two pod casts and Jeff Woods always has nice jeans on!

April 18, 2017 @ 6:42 PM

I wore nice jeans today.

April 18, 2017 @ 7:03 PM

Beatts

I noticed ! I also laughed when you told Elvis you are getting a complex because of our ball busting.

April 18, 2017 @ 9:18 PM

Rob J

"Bob Cole is the Vin Scully of hockey."

That oft-repeated tripe led me to cancel my Patreon support a few months back and now I read it again. I feel so out of place in the TM universe.

April 18, 2017 @ 10:58 PM

Gary M

He is the Vin Scully in the sense that he has been around such an astoundingly long time and his voice so suited to the rhythms of the sport that his sound is somewhat synonymous with the game. Particularly big, national games.

He is not the Vin Scully, obviously, where the analysis and game sense and homework and lyricism are concerned.

April 19, 2017 @ 1:45 AM

@Rob J

Some say Vin is the Bob Cole of baseball.

April 19, 2017 @ 11:38 AM