The Torn Jacket: Difficulty Letting Go

hangerI like to think I'm a pretty simple guy. Not simple in a bad way, but in a good way. I own one winter jacket, one pair of dress shoes, one pair of running shoes, one baseball glove, one digital camera, you get the idea. Once I have one item for each necessary function, I find it very difficult to swap it out for a new one. I don't know if it's a sense of loyalty or a mental defect, but if it ain't broken, I refuse to fix it, and even when it is broken, I find it awfully tough.

My winter jacket is a black leather jacket that I bought 12 years ago. Two and a half years ago I wrote about my jacket dilemma. The zipper broke and the pockets and liner have completely deteriorated. I'm pleased I squeezed an extra two winters out of it, but I'm hating the fact winter's winding down and I know this jacket has seen the end of the road. Next winter, I'll need a new one.

It's not because I'm cheap. I don't wear the same jacket for 12 winters to save a buck. I do it because I like it and it's functional. I hate the thought of throwing it out, and I hate the thought of keeping it and not wearing it even more.

This is par for the course with me. I've been driving the same car for eleven years. I'm about to hit 222,222 km and I'm planning to pull over and take a pic. We watch Mad Men on the 27 inch Sony Trinitron CRT television I bought 13 years ago, because it refuses to break. That's also why the stereo sound comes from the stereo I bought with the money I made working at Ex when I was 16. I've been carrying around the same Adidas bag for 25 years now. We've had the same dog for 14 years because she refuses to die!

I need a new jacket, and I don't want a new jacket. I want my old jacket.

torontomike5

Hector

Hmmmm...same jacket, same car, same stereo, same TV....for years (decades in some cases). But you are not cheap.

March 25, 2010 @ 10:51 AM

I'm telling ya, Hector. I might be poor, but I'm not cheap!

March 25, 2010 @ 10:57 AM

McNulty

The car? I don't blame you.
The TV? I don't blame you.
The jacket? Get a new one.

But I own 4 winter jackets because I love winter jackets. One for shoveling, sledding or other crap.
One for suits.
One for looking nice and being warm.
One because it was on sale.

And you should have more dress shoes. One black. One brown.
But then again, I own a lot of shoes too.

March 25, 2010 @ 11:07 AM

But McNulty, I don't want a new jacket, I want my old jacket.

March 25, 2010 @ 11:21 AM

McNulty

I know it is hard to part with a friend. But your friend is old and decaying and not providing you with the things a new friend can provide you with. He needs to retire and go and play with all the other former coats of Toronto bloggers in the sky.

Let him go. It is his time.

March 25, 2010 @ 1:15 PM

Lorne

Why not take a walk through the yellow pages and phone up a few leather workers? The only one I knew retired, but they used to do wonders with leather jackets. Replacing a pocket liner and putting a new zipper on would be fairly minor work.

March 25, 2010 @ 1:20 PM

My local dry cleaner repair guy quotes me $100+ to get this jacket back into game shape.

It was $169 brand new.

Maybe I'll solicit bids to save Toronto Mike's jacket!

March 25, 2010 @ 1:33 PM

Dizzy

A good jacket is a wonderful thing - do whatever you can to fix it.

March 25, 2010 @ 2:43 PM

Pete McPhedran

Mike,

Don't throw it out, spend a few bucks to fix it up, look around, other places may be less expensive. But don't keep wearing it either.

Put it in a closet, when your son is big enough to wear it, let him. I got my Dad's old leather jacket and it was the best!

Buy a new jacket, you might even be able to get one "just like" the current one.

I noticed you didn't mention anything about still having the same wife, is that so you can keep saying you have the same home? ;-)

--Pete

March 25, 2010 @ 2:57 PM

Yes, I've had the same wife for over 14 years, too!

I almost threw her on the list, but chicks today hate being objectified for some reason... They should all watch Mad Men and see how much better they have it.

March 25, 2010 @ 3:01 PM

LEW

But Mike, you're jacket outlived the cow, love has more than doubled it's lifespan. Let go....

March 25, 2010 @ 7:34 PM

Lew, are you suggesting my favourite jacket was once a cow?

March 25, 2010 @ 7:50 PM

Irvine

Ya know Boon, if you spent more time working and less time blogging (and kissing radio ass) you could probably afford more stuff.

It's called "getting a job"

March 25, 2010 @ 9:03 PM

@Irvine

I don't write about work. It's one of my rules. But if I did you'd learn I do have a real job with a decent salary and respect and all that, but I'm still the sole income earner in a family of four living in Toronto. A family of four + a dog.

But besides all that, I can afford a new jacket. I just don't want a new jacket. I want my old jacket.

And as for kissing radio ass, you're nuts. The only radio people I actually know are Humble, Fred and Dan Duran, and now I've got to know Rick Hodge a little. That's it. That's not ass kissing, that's life.

March 25, 2010 @ 9:14 PM

LEW

Sorry Mike, I missed where you said you were "saving a buck". What did you do with the antlers?

March 25, 2010 @ 10:40 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Mike you are better for the environment than Suzuki and Gore.

I just had to buy a new TV because my old GE 27" bit the dust after about 20+ years. My daughter used to be embarrassed to play Nintndo with here friends on it because it only had the coax inputs and she had to figure out how to pu the VCR on pause and record to make it go through the tv LOL.

March 25, 2010 @ 10:40 PM

@Lew

I've had the same antlers for 16 years.

March 25, 2010 @ 10:42 PM

Jason P

Tell your wife to get a job (!!!) or how about you spend the 100 bucks on your Edge-inhaling nostaligic nature or how about a paypal dedicated to get you to stop whining about your jacket.

March 26, 2010 @ 7:45 AM

OJ Boy, where have you been hiding?

I haven't written a positive thing about the Edge in over a year.

Why don't you donate to the jacket fund - simply submit funds via Paypal to paypal@mikeboon.com.

Thanks!

March 26, 2010 @ 8:00 AM

Bill

I have one of those black Nike bags that Serena Williams rolls out for finals that I swear were the very first Nike gym bags...mine is circa 1977...

March 26, 2010 @ 9:36 AM

Jill

I have a few items of clothing that I am sentimental about and refuse to part with because they have a grand old history.....Keep the jacket!

March 27, 2010 @ 12:08 AM

Sue

Mike, where did you ultimately get your jacket fixed? We live in Oakville and need to replace the lining in a favourite garment. Thx

December 26, 2011 @ 1:03 PM

I ended up getting it fixed at Danier. Worked out good, too.

December 26, 2011 @ 1:11 PM

Pancho

12 years, that's crazy i give you props and understand why you're having such a hard time. I'm just like you, I also have a hard time letting go of things once I use them for a long time. Just think of that new jacket that you'll get, and how long that one will last you.

March 10, 2016 @ 9:47 AM