Dion Phaneuf a Maple Leaf - Huge 7 Player Trade

LeafsDion Phaneuf is a Toronto Maple Leaf. This is not a drill. The Toronto Maple Leafs have acquired defensemen Dion Phaneuf and Keith Aulie along with winger Fredrik Sjöström from the Calgary Flames in exchange for Matt Stajan, Nik Hagman, Jamal Mayers and Ian White.

Phaneuf, 24, averaged 51.5 points per season from 2005-09. This year, he has 10 goals and 12 assists to go with a plus-3 rating. I absolutely love this deal; Burke won this one hands down.

Brian Burke will announce a second trade shortly. I'm hearing Jean-Sébastien Giguère is coming to Toronto for Vesa Toskala and Jason Blake. I'm off to the movies so if someone out there can leave a comment confirming the details surrounding trade #2, I'd appreciate it.

dion

I'm sorry to see White go, I really liked him, but you have to give to get and landing Dion Phaneuf is huge. I love this trade.

Am I crazy, or did we get away with one here?

January 31, 2010 @ 12:21 PM

Ryan

What the hell just happened? Phaneuf is a leaf??? One of my favorite D men is a leaf? WOW.

Although giguere is not the answer in the second deal speculation.

January 31, 2010 @ 12:41 PM

Mississauga Mike

Did Komisarek date Cuthbert too?! My celebrity-gossip skills are rusty, but somebody pointed this out elsewhere.

January 31, 2010 @ 12:53 PM

felix

#2 - The artist formerly known as 'Tosky' & Jason Blake for J.S. Giguere.

January 31, 2010 @ 12:59 PM

Fredericton Steve

Giguere is not the answer but moving blakes salary and adding giguere works for me.

January 31, 2010 @ 1:09 PM

Irvine

THANK YOU TORONTO!. Phaneuf has been nothing short of ineffective in the past 2 years. Good riddance to him and his huge salary.

January 31, 2010 @ 1:12 PM

Ryan

Phaneuf's numbers are down. So are Iginla's and every other player on the Flames!!!

My money is on Phaneuf reverting back to 2007 form very quickly.

I am looking forward to our powerplay now and i promise Kessel benefits from this with more Power Play Goals going forward.

January 31, 2010 @ 1:19 PM

Irvine

Yeah, what you don't realize dude is that the Flames are in a slump. Phaneuf has been lousy for 2 years. He's worth 5.5 million a year for 33 points

If you can't grasp it, www.calgaryherald.com and read the comments. He won't be missed.

Way to go Toronto LOL

January 31, 2010 @ 1:22 PM

Ryan

There is no way a local Calgary paper would ever be subjective in their thoughts about the beloved Flames trade. Right?

I am not even saying that they lost the trade. Here is what I am saying:

Phaneuf is a bit of a baby. He definitely did not want to be in Calgary over the past year and a half. And i think that showed. When is the last time he dropped the gloves to defend a teammate? He used to do that all the time.

However, now he is in Toronto. As a Canadian he is playing in one of the two true hot-spots. He has an amazing talent and size and his ability cannot be questioned. So even if he does flake out in three years and cries like a baby, we are going to benefit from some good physical D play for now. The talents of someone like Phaneuf have not been in TO as a D-Man for a long time.

Sure, if i was from Calgary I would not shed too many tears. But in T.O, what's to stop us from expecting this guy to gear it up a notch or two and make others around him better?

At least for now..... I'd say it is a pretty sure thing.

Than again, what do i know?

January 31, 2010 @ 2:06 PM

Irvine

You better hope this works dude because you just gave away most of your scoring in exchange for a ego that's played subpar and makes nearly 6 million a year.

Calgary LOVED Phaneuf a few years ago. Top selling jersey in the city. Yet, not to many seem upset at the trade. That should say something to you.

Not that I'm complaining. Hagman and Stajan now have talented forwards to play with. Flames take off on a winning streak as of today.

January 31, 2010 @ 2:24 PM

elvis

I was away for the weekend at a wedding so I didn't hear about the trade until I saw your post. My first thought - this is a joke. After I verified it on tsn, I did a happy dance.

January 31, 2010 @ 3:00 PM

MIssissaugaBlogger.com

I hopes these moves help your Leafs.

January 31, 2010 @ 3:42 PM

felix

Can't really get much worse!

January 31, 2010 @ 3:52 PM

@Irvine

One year ago, if you told me the Leafs could land Phaneuf for Stajan, White, Mayers and Hagman, I'd have punched you in the face. I still can't believe we landed Aulie in the deal as well. Bonus!

Here's more of my thoughts on the two big deals today: http://www.torontomike.com/2010/01/glorious_leafs_trades_freaky_t.html

Today is a great day for Leafs fans. Better than I had dared to dream.

January 31, 2010 @ 5:08 PM

Prudential West

I'm a little behind on the news, but I think this is great!

May 3, 2010 @ 2:32 PM

Prudential West

I'm a little behind on the news, but I think this is great!

May 3, 2010 @ 2:38 PM

Prudential West

I'm a little behind on the news, but I think this is great!

May 3, 2010 @ 2:40 PM