New Custom MP3 - Both Hands - Feedback Wanted

CustomCustom and I became fast friends back in 2004. At that time, he was only 18-months removed from charting with "Hey Mister". In the five years since, he's sent me dozens and dozens of unreleased tracks he puts together on his Mac in his Manhattan loft.

Custom, a multi-talented Canadian musician who's just about the nicest guy you'll ever want to meet, sends me these MP3s under two conditions: I must provide honest feedback and I can't share them with anybody.

I've always provided honest feedback, usually overwhelmingly positive because I sincerely love his musical style, but I'm about to break his second condition. I'm going to post a raw, unreleased Custom track here in the hopes that you all will listen and provide honest feedback in the comments. I absolutely love this song, but because I've never shared it, I have no idea if I'm the only one or if this is really as good as I think it is.

This is Custom and Madison singing "Both Hands", an Ani DiFranco song. Listen to Custom's words as he tells an unbelievably true story I unearthed during an interview I conducted with Madison.

Custom put up a beat. Madison sang "Both Hands" by Ani DiFranco. Custom threw up some guitar. This was the moment. One seemingly typical event on an otherwise normal night. Days later, after Custom added a rap that recounted that moment in time and finished the track, Madison heard herself and was reborn. She said goodbye to the deposit she put down on her med school tuition. She said hello to poverty, the life of a starving artist, making ends meet by working many a difficult job. She said goodbye to the life she thought was hers and said hello to her true calling. After a year of writing and playing with a band she formed she signed a publishing deal with Windswept Pacific. Madison is a singer.

Here it is. You can listen, under two conditions: you must provide honest feedback in the comments and you must share this link with everybody.

Download the MP3 and throw it on the iPod

CQ

The third minute of the song was interesting; more Lou Reed poetic than 'rap'. Hmm - like as if I know - Maybe a Sax would better decorate it out, less bass drone.

September 14, 2009 @ 11:32 PM

Rick

It was great ... Loved it as is - I wouldn't change a thing. Thanks!

September 15, 2009 @ 11:58 AM

CthaWorld

Great song! Love how the male and female voices alternate. Wouldn't change anything.

September 15, 2009 @ 12:42 PM

Mike from Lowville

At first I thought it sounded like Alanis Morissette......it's ok.....I guess.

September 15, 2009 @ 1:27 PM

Race_Coach

I’m not Randy, Paula (or Ellen) or Simon. But …
Sorry – At the beginning I find the pitch changes of her voice annoying, whiny and nasal. I couldn’t listen to this very long. I do like the contrast of her high pitched voice balanced with the lows of his voice. Whereas she attempts to create a wide range he destroys it with a monotone range. It don’t think they are a good match.

It's just different enough though, that it could make the top 40.

September 15, 2009 @ 7:12 PM

A.R.

He tried something different, and it turned out well. I remember previewing some songs from what was supposed to be his 'upcoming' album, and they sounded quite similar to his fantastic first album, and I prefer more of an evolution between albums.

September 15, 2009 @ 10:11 PM

brian

i liked it. i think she has a great voice.

September 16, 2009 @ 10:00 PM

Jessie

Still getting errors. :) Sent my response from your form and it appeared to get through okay. In short, I like it enough to play on repeat all day. With a little attention, which surely would happen while polishing the song, this could be quite popular with the masses. :)

September 17, 2009 @ 7:51 AM

Toronto Mike

For another new Custom tune, check out his controversial video for USA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZRNmjPRcHY

September 17, 2009 @ 11:12 PM

Race_Coach

Mike - not sure what the shelf life is on one of your blog postings. I just happened to go back to check this out, and found your most recent posting.

The video is powerful. I like it at lot. But then, I'm not American.

October 7, 2009 @ 7:00 PM

The shelf life for me is forever, because I get an email every time a comment is left on this blog.

I like the USA video, too. I thought it was really cool. But I'm not American... and neither is Custom!

October 7, 2009 @ 7:48 PM

gabe

im gonna be honest usa is the first song by custom i didnt love i love the lyrics and the video and it took awhile for me to appreciate it but this new song here both hands is amazing
i think its a small enough step foreword for the old sound im in love with to still be there but a big enough step foreword for me to find more reason then i had b4 2 keep listening and appreciating his intelligence
also whats up with cdlx

October 8, 2009 @ 8:33 PM

gabe

oh im not saying that i dont like usa im saying its my least favorite of my favorites

he hasnt made a song i dont like

well not that ive heard

October 8, 2009 @ 8:46 PM

matt

It's great. I'm just excited for something new from Custom. I've been waiting a long time.

November 3, 2009 @ 8:28 PM

Robert Wax

I had the AWESOME opportunity to meet him at a show I played at CBGBs in NYC.
Not only is he a great guy, but an awesome songwriter and producer!!!
Another great tune! Way to go Custom!!!

November 9, 2009 @ 10:10 PM

r4i

No real estate news from Manhattan Loft Guy today, but a most personal request. If you are the praying type, please offer some today for me and for Susan Smelin. We will be at Columbia Presbyterian today and some time around 9 AM she will become the proud owner of my left kidney. I can live without it just fine, but she can't.

November 20, 2009 @ 8:18 AM

hannah Rostocki

this song is great! good mix of both singers! I WANT MORE SOLO CUSTOM THOUGH!!!

November 23, 2009 @ 1:25 AM

Andreas

I'm just saying this: The song is playing on heavy rotation since I discovered it. Can't wait for more and the next album.

December 1, 2009 @ 3:45 AM

Travis

Would like to hear more. Something that would showcase her own vocal styling, it was a good mimic of Ani; an interesting cover to say the least. Thanks and good to hear

December 4, 2009 @ 10:05 PM

Jordan

love it... Desperately wanna see a new cd come out soon!

December 9, 2009 @ 9:20 PM

Bazzups

F*** trying out on the net!!! Give us a new album which we can buy at our local music-store...

Great song by the way..

Bazzups (Holland)

December 28, 2009 @ 1:13 PM

PugetSound

I love Custom's style, but this song just don't do it for me, I'm not sure what it is. but I'm just not feeling that vibe I get when I put in fast.

January 12, 2010 @ 6:52 PM

Chronobrain

So this is going to be on a forthcoming album should it ever come to pass? The story behind it give it a personal spin, and I like that. It's better than just rehashing a song you like. Both parties have a lot of talent. And if she provides guest vocals on Custom's songs every once in a while, I'll be satisfied. Just don't do the whole duet band thing. That's getting driven into the ground. But yeah, keep it up. And DAMNIT man, make music again! "Streets" and "Beat Me" have been in rotation in my head all week.

February 1, 2010 @ 4:59 AM

Dylan

Like the song, agree with previous poster that said female sounds like Alanis. Good sound though, has the flavor of first album. Sure wish there was an album coming!

February 4, 2010 @ 8:50 PM

Logan

I loved it. Her voice is awesome. This song moved me. I can't wait to get ahold of new Custom.

February 8, 2010 @ 1:07 PM

matt

i think it's about time we all face it and realize that there won't be another new custom album. this whole new cd has been going on for at least 5 years now and its been 8 years since he released "fast". this thing won't see the light of day. doesn't take someone 8 years just to release there sophomore album.

February 9, 2010 @ 9:07 PM

Lil Raskal

Came across the "Hey Mister" song on an adult entertaining video I was soaking up earlier in the day. My vast curiosity of where my ears have tuned into this track in the past compelled me to turn to my friend the world wide web for answers. First found the lyrics, then found the video which lead to another which redirected me to the team site which prompted me here. If you are board but made it this far through my ramblings on, then good for you I'm happy. So now that I have read the lyrics and listened to what ever songs my trusty lil fingers could find I think that this track is ok. But just OK. It's better than what I can do, I'll say that. To be frank I don't believe that my opinion counts. This is the very first time I have criticized something on the web in one of these little comment boxes, so I'm amateur at best. And let me tell you; what a waste of time this is. If you're still with me than I'm sorry for boring you with my talentless writing, however I feel it appropriate to say that even if it takes another close to decade for Custom to come out with an Album, than who really cares as long as he's doing what and who he loves. Now I'm going to wonder off to some site that will fulfill my temporary wifelessness of the evening. Good night everybody... Unless you're part of the KKK; then F@#% You.

July 15, 2010 @ 7:57 PM

luis

Just love hearing anything from this guy...But how come he hasn´t made another album apart from hey misteR?

Where can we find more songs from him?

doesnt he know he is fucking awsome and us people need artist like him to help us get through the day in the best of moods?

Can anyone tell him that?

October 27, 2010 @ 10:50 AM

Hilary

I loved his CD years back, I always what happened to this guy and when a new one would come out. I love his voice.
I know it was posted a while ago but I listened so heres my thoughts - She is a bit all over the place in the begining. I didnt like it but once the music started i began to like it more. maybe she just grew on me. His parts were again awesome. His voice is perfect for his style, and I like that hes trying new things.
Again I wish thered be another cd :(

April 15, 2011 @ 2:32 AM

Kevin T

This song is definitely some of Custom's best work, and I dont say that lightly. Every song will pop into my head at least once a week and play through all the way every lyric. This song is no exception. I've shown this to two of my close friends here at college and they love it.

Both Hands was the first they ever heard of Custom, and it drove them to go get Fast. This single song. It's very unique and so emotional. I really wish he would release more work, there is not a single song of his I dont adore.

Mike I know this is a lot to ask, but if you ever know of anything related to Custom's potential second album, or any new music available for purchase or download, please dont hesitate to contact me at the email provided, I would be extremely grateful. Thank you so much for keeping this blog going and for posting what has become my favourite song this year.

October 12, 2011 @ 11:26 PM

Kevin T

October 12, 2011 @ 11:28 PM

Kevin

I like it. Please make another album, Custom! I've been waiting 10 years for a follow-up.

January 10, 2012 @ 6:53 PM