Kanye's a Jerk, But He's Right

MTVIn this internet age, everything happens in real-time. Even now it seems a little late to be commenting on what Kanye West did to Taylor Swift at the MTV Video Music Awards, and that just happened about 90 minutes ago.

If you missed it, here's what all the fuss is about. Taylor Swift beat out Beyonce for Best Female Video and Kanye West stole the spotlight to point out the fact Beyonce should have won. If the Twittersphere is any indication, Kanye West is now the most hated man in the world.

In case that video is pulled, here's what Kanye said.

Yo Taylor, I’m really happy for you, I’ll let you finish, but Beyoncé has one of the best videos of all time. One of the best videos of all time!

Sure, it was classless what Kanye did, stealing the spotlight and all, but there's two facts I can't ignore. Firstly, he sure got our attention. And secondly, he's right.

I would have bet the farm on Beyonce winning that award for "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)". I thought it was a shoe-in. But MTV went with the white 19-year old, blonde, blue eyed cutie.

With all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the head, Kanye reminded us that a more deserving black artist was once again slighted for a young white artist. It smelled before he stormed the stage and it smells now, but all anyone will talk about is how that mean man stole Taylor Swift's moment.

Kanye could have let the moment pass, but he's not wired that way. He spoke his mind, got us talking, and now he's paying the price. He's a jerk, but he's right.

Laua

I have to compeltely disagree. It's not about "the cute white girl".
Look at all the awards Beyonce has won. Do you honestly think MTV would slight her even in the tiniest bit?
The VMAs are voted for by viewers, if I remember correctly. People liked Taylor's video better. It's a a breath of fresh air from seeing hip hop plastered all over everything.
Kanye was tactless and rude, and he was certainly not right.

September 14, 2009 @ 12:28 AM

Laura

wow, I misspelled my name. I rule.

September 14, 2009 @ 12:30 AM

Jason

Is it 1991 again? There was a time when MTV could be accused of neglecting black musicians, but 2009 ain't it.

Beyonce even won the award for best video, which, while somewhat odd given she lost out in the Best Female Video category, kind of negates any accusations of racism.

According to Wikipedia, since 1995, seven African-American artists have won Best Video at the VMAs. I'm sure there are instances of deserving black artists missing out, but those instances are probably no more prevalent than those of deserving white artists being snubbed. It's the VMAs: much like its founding network, it is hardly the arbiter of musical achivement. In fact, that's true for most any music industry award show (Jethro Tull over Metallica, anyone?).

And how does Beyonce's video qualify as one of the best ever? It's a catchy tune backed up by a stylized dance number. Hardly ground breaking.

September 14, 2009 @ 1:00 AM

Oliver (a/k/a Dizzy)

Sorry, Mike, but you're incorrect. Kanye's a jerk...but he's dead wrong.

Laura's right: Beyonce's video was generic.

Thing is, what shocks me is that MTV, which doesn't play country, handed that award to a country artist. Now, I don't watch MTV (Canadian or American) so I could be wrong...but eh.

Kanye's an egotistical piece of sh*t. Hell, the fool thinks he should be in a new revised version of the Bible!

September 14, 2009 @ 1:47 AM

Andrew (needs a more distinct name)

Kanye is an ass.

Beyonce went on to win the BEST VIDEO OF THE YEAR.

So she won the biggest award of the night. How is this about a white girl? It is all about Kanye and how if Kanya thinks it is so and somone disagrees it is a travesty and an outrage.

Kick the guys in the balls and tell him to go home if he doesn't like it.

And I really dislike Taylor Swift and her crap music but she didn't deserve that.

September 14, 2009 @ 8:14 AM

Argie

Firstly who the hell cares or knows that the best video is?

Secondly, KW realizes he's nearing the end of his shelf life as a hippity hop personality (noticed I avoided using the word 'artist' because obviously these punks are not artists).

He's about a few months away from joining those that came before him in the hip hop music scrap bin - Nelly, Usher, Sisco, and a slew of others who are either dead or doing time in a maximum security prison.

September 14, 2009 @ 9:07 AM

Toronto Mike

I think only Best New Artist is voted on by viewers. The other awards aren't.

After a night of reflection, I'm going to clarify my point.

Even if this doesn't have the slightest hint of racism and Beyonce lost to Taylor Swift fair and square, that old perception lingers. Kanye would see it, and in the moment, he saw it necessary to point it out to everybody. So it doesn't matter whether Kanye was right, he thought he was right, and he acted in the moment.

Thats' all right with me.

September 14, 2009 @ 9:17 AM

Andrew (needs a more distinct name)

Mike you are really off-base on this one.

Even if Kanye thought that this stung of racism and was outraged he has no right interrupting the winner, who had no part in the outcome, and making a statement.

It was completely without class. There are ways to voice your displeasure and this was not it. Just like the idiot who yelled, "You lie!" during Obama's speech. While he may want to raise the point, that was not the place or time to do it.

September 14, 2009 @ 9:25 AM

Toronto Mike

Wouldn't it be boring if I was always on base?

I was due to be off base.

September 14, 2009 @ 9:39 AM

Cambo

Andrew is exactly right. Just because you disagree with the outcome, does not give you the right (nor should high-jacking the show) be "all right with you".

What he did was completely classless- and he will pay the price in the public eye. His opinion shouldn't matter- and he has no right to steal the stage for it.

My personal belief is that he was drunk as he showed up with a bottle of cognac.

And that is NOT alright with me.

September 14, 2009 @ 9:48 AM

LEW

Mike - you were picked off first, good on ya for dusting yourself off.
My take - demographics - the new watchers of MTV are the Taylor Swift crowd. It is like when Hippity Hop took over from Grunge which took over from Electro Pop, good of KW to notice the swing in dollars not sense.

September 14, 2009 @ 9:50 AM

Cambo

...should have clarrified...

"does not give you the right to hi-jack the show"..and be alright with you.

...where's my coffee.

September 14, 2009 @ 9:52 AM

G

Might as well blame it on Obama, it's the trendy thing to do right now.

Is Kanye the guy who likes to pee on people?

September 14, 2009 @ 10:38 AM

Horonymous

Kanye is like school in the summer. No class.

Beyonce video was more interesting but what Kanye did was reprehensible.

Class act by Beyonce inviting Talyor up on stage later.

September 14, 2009 @ 11:52 AM

Mississauga Mike

I still maintain this incident was staged. Taylor Swift did that rap with T-Pain earlier this year so she's obviously somewhat aware of her image. Kanye and MTV have a funny relationship too, where he swore them off in 2007 before Graduation then returned in 2008 to unveil "Love Lockdown", now in 2009 this. Throw in the Bruno/Eminem stunt earlier this year, the fact that MTV produces all sorts of fake reality TV (The Hills, Laguna Beach), I'm not buying it. It makes Kanye look like more of a jerk (like the Bruno/Eminem thing did for Marshall), provides sympathy and attention for both Taylor and Beyonce (how she stood up for Taylor later on) and gets us talking about the damn MTV awards AGAIN.

Hook, line, and sinker.

September 14, 2009 @ 12:36 PM

LEW

For what it's worth, I thought that Lil Mama elbowing her way in on the Jay Z and Alicia finale was just as rude.

September 14, 2009 @ 4:28 PM

Daisy

I went and watched both videos. The Taylor Swift on was a little mini story about the band geek getting her secret love. Very cute and entertaining. The Beyonce one was her doing an awkward dance half dressed with two clones. It was so borring I only lasted about 90 seconds into it. Why would that have even been in the running for best video? There was no question which video was better.

September 14, 2009 @ 4:30 PM

Trish

Aw Mike - you disappoint me. Imagine your own daughter being humiliated by an egomaniac like him. Kanye West is a scared little man with a shrunken d*ck who is outsold by Taylor Swift.

September 14, 2009 @ 7:14 PM

brittany

first off i still don't see why beyonce video was one of the best of all time all the hell she did was dance what they hell am mean it was good and all but it really didn't take a lot of effort to do a whole video of what se normally does and thats dance. Second i could really see why taylor swift won that award the song is great the video was even better it told a story that most girl and women looking back on the teen years could related to and it was just great. finally kanye west big rock head had no buiness stealing that girls shine none what so every he is a loser in every way possible and he is the biggest hater of all time. He is the absolute scum of the earth and should be treated as such but he's gonna get his what comes around goes around karma is a b*&%h

September 14, 2009 @ 10:26 PM

Faunie

Haven't seen either video. What Kanye did was classless and rude; doesn't matter who was on stage. He has done it before and he will do it again. Beyonce showed HER class but having Taylor Swift come back out to finish her speach.

September 14, 2009 @ 11:05 PM

Faunie

September 14, 2009 @ 11:05 PM

Kanye West

IMA LET YOU FINISH MIKE, BUT BLOGTO IS THE BEST TORONTO BLOG EVER.

September 16, 2009 @ 2:44 PM

The_Voice

(Sorry about that last one... couldn't resist...)

September 16, 2009 @ 2:45 PM

Roshan

I don't think you can blame MTV for being biased - they have been giving awards to crappy artists since the mid 1990s! Kanye is a jerk and I do not think Beyonce is worthwhile. I haven't heard Taylor Swift but even if the moron thought Beyonce's was a better video he should shut his ass up and applaud! Who the heck is he to do such a tasteless thing?

September 16, 2009 @ 9:37 PM

ThatDude

Finally somebody agrees! Kanye saw this crappy artist being awarded and the alcohol made him say the truth. Beyonce should of won!!!
Hell, Kid Cudi should of won best new artist! Jay-Z should of won best male artist!!!

Most of you are frontin because most of talked shit about MTV and artists like Taylor Swift for years but when a true man comes to stop whats happening to music then y'all turn against him. Kanye did what most people only do on their blogs. SPEAK YOUR MIND! AND SAY WHATS REAL!!!

November 14, 2009 @ 12:40 PM

Marty Machey

Taylor Swift is ok. like i really like her songs but when i went 2 see her in concert she wasnt so great..

February 12, 2010 @ 12:06 PM