How I'm Dealing With Toronto's Garbage Strike

cityhallI wrote about our garbage strike on day one and again when the city decided to make my favourite park a temporary dump, but for the most part I've been quiet on the subject.

I've discovered the best way to deal with Toronto garbage strike. I've sent my wife and kids out of town.

It turns out I don't produce garbage on my own. It's true, I've produced only a minuscule amount of recyclables and just a little organic waste. It seems my wife and kids were responsible for 99% of the garbage, recycling and green bin waste we were producing each week.

Bachelor Mike could easily coast through the summer without sanitation services. It's shockingly easy.

Annemarie

Living on your own ROCKS!

July 3, 2009 @ 10:43 PM

Mike from Lowville

I have the same situation at my house. Power (hydro) consumption is also a big one for the wife and kids.

July 4, 2009 @ 9:41 AM

Buffaloboymike

Yeah, so much waste, I am the king of turn off the lights if you are not in the room

July 4, 2009 @ 10:07 AM

Toronto Mike

When I'm home alone, I don't turn on a light. It's true. I open the fridge once in a while and I have the tv on and the laptop plugged in, but that's it. I don't even use A/C.

I wash all my dishes in the sink, have one 10-minute shower each morning and only use the car when absolutely necessary.

David Suzuki would love my lifestyle.

July 4, 2009 @ 12:11 PM

Toronto Mike

Note: My friend Chuck who works for the city and is not on strike wants me to add this note from him.

July 4, 2009 @ 12:29 PM

Mike from Lowville

"Toronto's Garbage Strike ? There are 24, 000 people on strike Mike. Only a couple of hundred of those are garbage men. It is a civic workers strike."

But, it's the garbage workers fault, eh Argie?

July 4, 2009 @ 2:39 PM

elvis

Then we need to dig a new pit for 24,000 people to fall into, not just a couple of hundred of them. Fuck you Chuck and your union.

July 4, 2009 @ 10:48 PM

Toronto Mike

Says the guy from Oshawa.

July 4, 2009 @ 10:58 PM

elvis

No, the guy who spends as much time in Toronto as Oshawa because I work there. I have to wade through the garbage just as much as the citizens of Toronto do.

July 4, 2009 @ 11:08 PM

Toronto Mike

Elvis, I have a question for you.

A guy on CNN says MJ is going to be bigger than Elvis in death.

Are you jealous of Michael Jackson for treading on Elvis' turf?

July 4, 2009 @ 11:10 PM

elvis

Not at all. It'll be up to people like me to remind everyone else that without Elvis, there is no MJ (or Pearl Jam).

July 4, 2009 @ 11:14 PM

Mike from Lowville

Yeah, and me to remind people that if it wasn't for Blind Lemon Jefferson, Charley Patton, Bessie Smith, Big Bill Broonzy, Leadbelly, (shall I go on?) there's NO ELVIS, NO BEATLES, NO MJ...... lol, Elvis the copy cat.

July 5, 2009 @ 7:23 AM

Rags

As many residents of Toronto face the challenges that the current garbage strike has left them, one man has taken a new approach to a solution. Roofer Dave of Toronto has suspended his regular business tasks, and now offers residents a way to get rid of their trash in a safe and environmentally friendly way. Trash is collected for merely five dollars per twenty pound bag and taken to
licenced disposal facilities for disposal (NOT THE CITY TEMPORARY DUMP SITES) Dave's plan is to ease the pain residents are feeling not add to it. According to Roofer Dave, "We are currently working on recycling efforts to divert as much as we can from land fills. We will have more on this as facilities get back to us." Finding Roofer Dave on his route is easy, simply follow @fivebucksabag on Twitter to see where and when he may be in your neighbourhood or contact him through his web site at www.fivebucksabag.com.

July 5, 2009 @ 2:33 PM

Kimberly

I am pretty shocked that with all the resources we have in our homes and knowledge that there is so much garbage accumulated. I did not know of the garbage strike until it happened. I spent about a half an hour organizing myself and finding solutions regarding the "smelly garbage". We don't have piles in our back yard and we are not invaded by raccoons. We are fine and can be fine for months. We have not had to go to the depots and the neighborhood came together to ensure the local park is kept clean.

I am really upset about the general lack of dedication to recycling. I may be more green than the next person, but feel that the city makes it very easy to recycle and even if you could care less about the environment, at the very least, you should be recycling even if it is to keep that $130 bucks every year. I just can't believe that within a couple of days there were line ups at the depots and that the temporary location at Christie Pitts had to be shut down. Managers at apartment buildings should have hired private garbage collection, this is their job, and home owners should have found an unobtrusive place to store the smelly stuff. We had our green bin on the back porch all spring and were untouched by the raccoons. Why? Daily dog poop. We also made a place in our freezer for any food wastes.

If the people in Toronto came together and did their recycling jobs, then the strike would be over as the union would not have the ammunition it has now. Embarrassment.

July 10, 2009 @ 4:17 PM

Alex James

You ain't kidding. My roommate and I are both in our twenties and male -- you'd think we would produce a metric ton of garbage (pizza boxes, empty bottles of booze, etc.), and yet we don't. It takes us a good two weeks to fill up one green garbage bag to the point where we have to take it out -- and that's only if his girlfriend is over (she's way more messy). It's not that hard to cut down on trash; until such time as this damn strike is done with it's probably a good idea for the citizens of this once-fair city to start trying to reduce their output. Otherwise we're going to be dealing with serious health and pest issues (and I'm not just talking about city councilors and union members).

July 16, 2009 @ 4:22 PM

andy

I can't believe these jokers, they should have worked through the contract negatiations! not put the summer on hold for hundreds of thousands of kids trying to go swimming, something they have looked forward to all school year, and their parents who don't have hundreds of dollars to spend,and many of whom are single mothers as well, completely cutting out their summer recreation,they should be ashamed as hell1 disgusting pigs they are indeed.

July 18, 2009 @ 7:02 AM

G in TO

I think the strike would be over faster when the city opens up dumps in the most afluent areas.

July 22, 2009 @ 7:01 PM