Driving the Same Car for Over Ten Years

CarI'm a month late with this one, but better late than never...

I started driving my current automobile in June 1999. It's the only new car I've ever bought so all 212,000 kms are mine.

I know people who upgrade their car every 2-4 years like clockwork. I'm simply not wired that way. I find a car I like, a reliable but economic car that will get me from A to B, and I treat it well and plan to drive it until it expires. My 10 year old '99 car doesn't have an autolocking feature or automatic windows, but I don't plan to replace it any time soon. Yes, you're reading that right. I have the old hand crank windows and I'm proud of it.

Has anyone else driven the same car for over a decade?

dale

Had a 1995 Cavalier which we finally had to get rid of in Jan./09. Over 220,000 km. & had an ashtray & cassette deck.
I agree, driving from A to B is main concern. Time to start thinking about getting another Mike, cars are very cheap now as we replaced the 95 with a 2008 G6, 1 yr. old, 20m km, fully loaded, listed for $28K & bought for $13K with warranty, etc. transfered.

July 21, 2009 @ 6:57 PM

Toronto Mike

If an auto company wants to put Toronto Mike in a car I'm listening, but otherwise, my current budget doesn't even allow for a cheap car.

July 21, 2009 @ 7:01 PM

CQ

Ah f*ck it.
I was sold a goddam bill of goods about scraping through Ontario CommCollege, paying my dues in the workforce, furthering professional education...
New Car? WTF is a 'new car'?

July 21, 2009 @ 7:17 PM

dale

You will be spending more on maintaining your old car than getting another. There comes a time (Neil Young) when you have to consider the options.
Costs for maintenance was reason for getting rid of 95 Cavalier. Car payments vs. fixing something when something else will go wrong shortly afterward.

July 21, 2009 @ 7:30 PM

Down Goes Brown

I drove a 1999 Acura for ten years, although I only had 110,000 km on it by the end. Barely even had to spend much on maintenance. Great little car.

The downside: when I finally bought a new one, I had no idea what features I was supposed to be impressed by. I was asking about child safety features that had been legal requirements for seven years.

July 21, 2009 @ 7:38 PM

Why Not?

My last car was an '89 Suzuki Swift. It cost very little to run. I got 13 years out of it and would have had more but the frame rotted. Should've undercoated it more, I suppose.

July 21, 2009 @ 8:08 PM

Craig

I'm with you Mike, I bought my current car a 98' just a month after I got married and it outlasted my marriage.

It's bare bones right down to the crank windows and standard transmission, it's very fuel efficient, has been very reliable, and I'll keep driving it until it dies or I get a repair bill that is just too long to warrent getting it fixed.

To all the ego-maniacs, the environmental killing SUV gas-guzzlers, a car is the worst investment out there. I'd rather drive my reliable inexpensive beater any day and spend that saved money on something or someone special.

I don't need the status.

July 21, 2009 @ 8:23 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

I've had 2 new Honda Odyssey's since 2001 (a 2002 model that went to 175,000) and the 2005 went to 185,000 before it was replaced in March. I'm driving an Acura MDX now and it is already over 17,000. All those miles are mine, but no chance I could have put them all on one car. I like driving a new car but I also like the satisfaction of driving a car with high miles.

July 21, 2009 @ 9:03 PM

Jill

We just replaced our 1995 Chevy Corsica in June of this year and the body was still mint. I was able to get $650 during a trade in.
I still own a 2000 Pontiac Montana Van and it is still going strong.

July 21, 2009 @ 9:05 PM

Pete McPhedran

I bought my '74 TR6 in 1992, does that count?

It has hand crank windows and the top is 100% manual. No remote entry or air conditioning, unless you count putting the top down.

--Pete

July 21, 2009 @ 9:32 PM

Horonymous

Drove a 1997 Honda Accord until the summer of 1997. We replaced it with a new Civic that we hop to get at least 10 years out of.
Our other car is A 2001 ford Windstar that I am planning on driving until it can no longer breathe.

Drove a 74 Maverick that my parents picked up for my in 80 until 1986.

We usually buy new but when forced to replace the Windstar I think I'm going to look at the used vehicles options

July 21, 2009 @ 10:24 PM

James edgar

I have a 2002 Civic that replaced a 92 Civic in 2003 . I expect to lose it in my upcoming divorce but if not I'll have it a least 10 more years. I have hand crank windows too.

July 21, 2009 @ 11:50 PM

kr

My parents have been driving their current car since '97.
So it's about 12 years old, but really, it doesn't look a day older than 10.

btw, I've been meaning to ask you, have you picked up Regina Spektor's latest album?
I think you're into her music, right? :)

July 22, 2009 @ 12:57 AM

Mike from Lowville

My son was driving my 1979 Fairmont up until last year when he bought an 1986 Merkur. I still have my Mom's 1968 Mustang and I'm still driving the old 1969 F-100. Had my Focus for 7 years, 160,000 and only had to change oil/filters, tires and brakes. "Have you driven a Ford lately?"

July 22, 2009 @ 7:06 AM

James Edgar

"Have you driven a Ford lately?" Not since i rolled my 1970 Maverick :)
My brother inlaw put 450000+ on a winstar. No major problems just the normal wear and tear. The body just fell off at the end.

July 22, 2009 @ 8:16 AM

Dizzy

What are you driving, Mike?

July 22, 2009 @ 8:53 AM

Stephanie Wilkinson

I learned to drive on my mom's 1978 Ford Fairmont. It had plaid seats. Always made for a good laugh for my friends in high school - unless I was driving them somewhere....

July 22, 2009 @ 9:25 AM

The_Voice

My mother drove a Ford Contour for over ten years... recently replaced it with a Kia Rondo.

I'm on my first car at the 2 year mark in 2 days... who knows how far I'll take it!

July 22, 2009 @ 10:31 AM

Mary - driving instructor

good stuff, why not check out my driving tuition information website...www.adidrivinglessons.com

January 22, 2010 @ 8:12 AM

Dave

Any updates to this?

April 18, 2010 @ 11:18 PM

Just that I'm still driving the car... about to hit 11 years. It's at 222,222 kms.

April 18, 2010 @ 11:21 PM