Michael Jackson, Dead at 50

FuneralI loved the Thriller album. We had that on vinyl and cassette, and I eventually had to get a second cassette because it got played so often. Thriller was one of my first favourite albums. To this day I'll put on "Billie Jean" or "Human Nature", the two tracks from that album that stayed most relevant to my ears. Without a doubt, Michael Jackson was an exceptional pop singer who could dance up a storm.

By the time Bad came out, I was digging the singles but questioning the man behind the artist. "Man in the Mirror" was a stunning song, but Jacko seemed lost in his celebrity. The man's songs were always supported by amazing videos, and we anxiously waited for their premieres, but meanwhile we watched his skin lighten, his nose disappear and his Neverland Ranch eccentricities escalate. Wacko Jacko's strangeness, his Jesus Christ posing and the accusations against him shone brighter than his dwindling talent. He had peaked creatively and his crazy behaviour turned me off that awesome Thriller album for years.

Today, as I drove to a softball game, I learnt he was dead. Dead at 50 from cardiac arrest. I keep wondering what could have been. What if Michael Jackson was "normal", for lack of a better word. What if he didn't have that creepy Peter Pan complex, didn't overfeed the tabloids and didn't spend the last 25 years of his life as a punch line. What if he was just a crazy talented pop singer and performer? That would have been an artist I could get behind. Instead, we lost Michael Jackson long before today.

As it is, the man gave us a killer album and several other great singles. He also gave us The Simpson's Stark Raving Dad and this song that brought my son a great deal of joy as a toddler. Thanks for that, Michael.

chris

Michael Jackson was an ICON for the world for his music & his initial charitable work. We Are The World is one of best songs ever written & Thriller changed music overall especially with video.
He was the best during his time but the last MANY years he has dwindled himself to nothing.

Too Bad, So Sad - He had it all & then let it dissipate to thin air.
You screwed yourself Mikey & let the whole world DOWN because of it.
I don't really like your music but you were 1 of a kind & couldn't continue.
RIP with Elvis & Lennon

June 25, 2009 @ 11:04 PM

james edgar

I was never a Fan. I didn't like thriler or anything else. So my only real memories are of Wacko Jacko. And that's no real loss.

June 25, 2009 @ 11:04 PM

Argie

I couldn't agree more, James.

Now, the only thing left to wonder is what crazy shit is in his will? Will he leave half or perhaps everything to his chimp?

June 26, 2009 @ 9:07 AM

Mike from Lowville

"What if he was just a crazy talented pop singer and performer? That would have been an artist I could get behind. Instead, we lost Michael Jackson long before today." So,so true Mike. Could not have said it better myself.

June 26, 2009 @ 9:46 AM

Mike from Lowville

And 1984 Blue Jays Preview a'la Michael Jackson: "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by MLB Advanced Media."

June 26, 2009 @ 9:54 AM

Sammi

Mike....a great comment. Well said.

(See...I can be nice sometimes)

June 26, 2009 @ 9:54 AM

James Edgar

I read a great article from the national review that puts it all in perspective. The media keeps calling him an Icon and acting like he's some sort of saint almost. He was a guy that could sing and dance.Nice, entertaining for some but ... every protester in Tehran that has been killed is far more important to the world that MJ could every be. Just my opinion.

June 26, 2009 @ 9:55 AM

Andrew

I think the media over-hyped this guy for a long time. He made a few good albums....that was it.

He was a child diddler. That trumps everything else.

June 26, 2009 @ 10:08 AM

Argie

I just hope his death doesn't become another huge outpouring of emotion a la Princess Di.

For all of the wusses out there who are crying today, I have just one question: When was the last time you deliberately played a an MJ song on your stereo/Ipod?

I will give him credit for 'Man In The Mirror', one of the best songs ever.

June 26, 2009 @ 10:09 AM

elvis

I just heard he died of food poisoning from eight year old nuts.

Too soon?

(cause I got more)

June 26, 2009 @ 10:20 AM

Toronto Mike

I was first to report the death of Michael Jackson. I did it back in 2007: http://www.torontomike.com/2007/08/michael_jackson_rest_in_peace.html

June 26, 2009 @ 10:32 AM

LEW

Elvis: very funny - it's not too soon - keep em coming

June 26, 2009 @ 11:30 AM

elvis

Early reports are that MJ choked on a small bone.

June 26, 2009 @ 11:53 AM

elvis

MJ's last wish was to be melted down into plastic bags, so that he can still be a danger to children.

June 26, 2009 @ 11:54 AM

elvis

The rumours of MJ having a heart attack are false. He's actually on the children's ward having a stroke.

June 26, 2009 @ 11:55 AM

elvis

Why did Michael Jackson place a call to Boys 2 Men?

He thought it was a delivery service.

June 26, 2009 @ 11:56 AM

Argie

Elvis: Can I be your Ed McMahon to your Johnny Carson? "Hi oh"

June 26, 2009 @ 11:57 AM

andrew

A joke that someone said they heard this morning on the radio that makes me SICK.
What do Ed McMahon & Michael Jackson want for Christmas?
Patrick Swayze.

If this is true the DJ should be fired now.

No wonder why this world is getting worse & worse.

June 26, 2009 @ 5:43 PM

Anonymous

Can we move on from the sick jokes?

Here's a different perspective: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2009/06/26/the-king-is-dead/

June 26, 2009 @ 8:33 PM

elvis

Actually, Andrew, you've got it wrong. Ed McMahon, MJ and Farrah Fawcett asked for Patrick Swayze for Christmas.

Maybe now you find it funnier. I know I do.

June 26, 2009 @ 10:18 PM

andrew

Elvis: it's even worse - you JERK. Funny my @$$.

June 27, 2009 @ 12:15 AM

LEW

It made no sense without Farrah....
Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything Andrew

June 27, 2009 @ 2:38 AM

Buffaloboymike

not to be insensitive or anything to the deaths of some our most cherished stars this week but if you were still doin that Celebrity dead pool and had any of those names Farah, MJ or Ed you could have had a pretty good week.

June 27, 2009 @ 7:54 AM

Toronto Mike

BBM, the Dead Pool lives on at http://www.torontomike.com/deadpool.html but I don't promote it like I used to.

MJ was worth 50 points, Farrah 38, but Ed was only worth pocket change due to his advanced age.

Old Dirty Bastard remains the greatest score in the game.

June 27, 2009 @ 8:18 AM

Robyn

What sickens me about you people (& yeah, I said it... "you people") is that like all tabloid bottom-feeding sheep you people never took the time to understand the person behind the "personality".

Michael was the most misunderstood celebrity of all time. How 1 person could be blessed w/ everything positive while simultaneously be cursed w/ the negative I will never know.

Lets take a good look shall we: his skin: did ANY OF YOU (especially you, Toronto Mike) take the time to learn that he had TWO illnesses which affect the skin 1.) vitiligo & 2.) lupus; the Neverland Ranch: Did you even see that this was something that he wanted for himself to not only recapture his own lost childhood, but to share w/ OTHER children who had lost theirs, due to poverty, illness & other afflictions; that Jesus-Christ posturing & Peter Panism: did you even come to understand that Christ lives in each of us be you a pop star or even a random blogger, by the actions in your heart? Was it not Christ who said, "Until you change yourselves back into children you will never even SEE the Kingdom of God. From your highly overly judgmental blog & the responders from Chris to James Edgar & the other humps who have so much shit to say w/o learning the truth, I can see that when their times comes the Kingdom will be so far from their reach. (You too, Toronto.) I will never say that he was perfect or was a saint because he did make mistakes, but he was human.

I never thought I would EVER say this, but please, take your Thriller & your Bad albums & the other dumbasses who responded to this blog & go shove them. You didn't have to bother writing this. This was nothing more than just another blogger trying to capitalize on the moment of June 25th... A "I'm-sorry-you-died-but-I-liked-you-when-you-were-cool." yarn. Basically, a band-aid covering knife wound. You never were a fan... You NEVER EVEN MENTIONED HIS EARLIER CAREER W/ MOTOWN! You never understood the man... You & the rest of these lip-flapping sheep just saw his talent, his money & the tabloid fodder made of his life thanks to greedy ass monsters who would rather sell out their own children for that almighty dollar. You never saw his compassion for others. You never saw he tried to the right thing by making this world a better place. Sometimes I wondered why he even bothered... Make the world a better place for you people?... Please. I hate to say it but I'm glad he's no longer here, because you won't have him to kick around anymore.

January 22, 2012 @ 7:52 PM